Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Water Pump Mechanical Seal Replacement

15K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  old 
#1 ·
Anyone here had their water pump leak and had to replace the mechanical seal? How complicated is it? My bike only has 7200 mi showing on odometer.

#2 ·
old,

I didn't have a leak but I did replace the mechanical seal when restoring Hidaglo.

According to the service manual the procedure is fairly straightforward. Use the rear brake with the transmission in 1st gear to remove the *LEFT* handed impeller and shaft. Torque to shaft 18 ft-lbs and the impeller to 87 in-lbs when reassembling.

#3 ·
Bill: I'm not really sure it is the seal that is leaking. When I return from a ride, a very small amount of coolant "appears" to be seeping out around a bolt with a black washer that looks like a gasket. This bolt is located on the engine adjacent to the rear of the brake pedal spring. I can't figure out how to get a pic of it. It doesn't "seem" logical that that part of the engine (clutch case or crank case) would have coolant in it?

#4 ·
old,

I took at look at my pile of parts and found the original water pump from Hidalgo. On the back side of the water pump base is the 'weep hole'. Seepage from this hole would flow down the back side of the base and between the water pump cover and the clutch cover.

I have attached a pic of it.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

#5 ·
Bill: Thanks for the pic. Water would have to run uphill for the coolant to get from that weep hole to the bolt I mentioned. When bike is parked (on a wheel chock to keep it vertical), the bottom of the rear wheel is about two inches above the bottom of the front wheel. When I get time, going to run the bike "in place", and track down the leak source. Probably something simple up above the engine and I just am not seeing it. Will post back when I find it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.