Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New tires today

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Big Thump 
#1 ·
So I am putting new skins on the skoot. Ran 35 psi front and 40 psi rear, ended up lasting 12,170 miles. Still had a little tread left as you can see by the pics. Going with the Commander II's, will report how things work out. Came off a 02 VTX-C 1800 and got pretty similar mileage with Metz 880's so will be interesting to see how these tires do. I was happy with what mileage i got, considering the heat of summer here.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like another 1000 miles to go at least before the wear bars are even with the tire.

If you are getting that kind of mileage out of stock tires you must be riding very easy at slow speeds and short distances and your roads must be like riding on air.

#5 ·
I like the Metzeler ME880's. Have them on the 900LT and they perform quite well. When I had my '10 Nomad, I replaced the stockers with the the Excedra Max's and they seemed like a good tire, too. However, I sold the bike before there was any appreciable wear on them. When I had my GL1800 Gold Wing, I used Dunlop Elite 3's front and rear. They were a decent tire, but both front and rear tires tended to cup early on and at about 2500 miles they started to get noisy, especially when the bike was leaned over in a curve. Seemed to handle OK, but the Metzelers on the Wing really transformed its handling.

#6 ·
I have about the same mileage on my second set of OEM's and have had the bike across America and a few other trips. Looks like I have about the same amount of tread left on mine too. Can't be unhappy at all with how these tires have performed but I too want to try the new Commanders when I change rubber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.