Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

235 miles today on the new Saddlemen Renegade Deluxe

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  JTRider 
#1 ·
Went on a ride today with some friends, ended up covering 235 miles total, and did it all on the new Saddlemen Renegade Solo Deluxe. Compared to the stock seat, this thing is a fur coat!

It's a bit narrower than stock, and that worried me a little at first, but it was so comfortable that after the first 50 miles or so I forgot all about that. It's still new, so it needs to be broken in a bit more, but I was able to go almost 90 minutes before feeling a little uncomfortable. On the stock seat I could bet about 40 to 50 minutes before needing to take a break.

This is the first long ride since doing the "Poogy" Gas Gauge fix and it worked pretty much spot on. 120 miles and it was at the half mark, filled up at 185 and it was not in the red yet - which makes sense since it only took 3.5 gallons. I really want to run it down further to see how accurate it is now.

Good day, good friends, and a good time!

Doc

#2 ·
I had the same complaints as you with the stock seat, about 30-40 minutes of riding before it was too uncomfortable.
With the saddlemen i found it was a little narrow and firm,but it has alot more lower back support which made a huge difference for me.
Its not perfect but its a much more enjoyable ride.

#4 ·
I think you'll find it gets better in the next few months.

I think some of it is the seat breaking in, but I think most of it is your butt breaking in!

Stock I could go 20-30 minutes, when I bought the mustang seat an hour. Then 2 hours, then 3 hours with some discomfort. Now... I can't find the limit. I tried a 6 hour day of non-stop riding only stopping for fuel (lunch was from a gas station, maybe a 10 minute break). I had a sweaty hiney but it sure wasn't numb or stiff!

For me, highway pegs make a huge difference too. Seems to stretch the keister muscles out or something, seems like the blood flows better with highway pegs.

#5 ·
Well I did get a Saddlemen seat not so long ago being fed up with the stock, after reading quite a lot on this forum.
Some said it would take 200 miles to break it in...
At first it felt like sitting on a narrow bit of planking and it it got me worried.
Agreed, it is too narrow.
After 200 miles it was definitely better than the stock.
After 400 miles, as Romans said, my butt sort of adjusted to it, yes it is way better, worth the $260 (+$40 postage) I bought mine for? I have sort of convinced me, I'd say yes.
It also looks a lot better on bike.

#6 ·
I don't get it, I can go all day on the Custom seat without too much discomfort, although I have known comfier bike seats (ZZ-R600 ... mmm). Am I the only person around here with an iron butt??

Congratulations on your seat, anything that lets you ride longer is good news.

#17 ·
You are not alone.
I like the stock seat on my Classic just fine, including some 600 mile days. There is no reason at all for me to want to change.

To each their own...

Rod

#7 ·
Thought I might put up some pics for comparison:

Side by side with a ruler for scale. The stock seat is 16.5" across while the Saddlemen is 13".

And here it is on the bike:

Doc

#12 ·
+111 Exactly my thoughts about Saddleman seats. I have more than 500 miles on mine now and I feel it is only just slightly better than the stock.

In retrospect, I should have waited to save a bit more and get a known higher
quality seat. At the moment, another replacement is out of the question (wife would not be happy at all :eek:)

#13 ·
I find mine way - WAY - more comfortable than the the stock seat. With time, it has broken in nicely, and I find myself going longer in the seat before the butt starts complaining. I like the look, I like the feel, and I like the price. Can't get much better than that.

Doc

#16 ·
I too find mine WAY more comfortable than stock. It is not the greatest, but definitely better than stock. I easily ride 3 times longer or more as compared to stock. I will still probably spring for a better seat one day. Maybe a Mustang or an Ultimate seat.

But for now, the saddlemen lets me do a lot more distance before I get sore.

#22 ·
I got a Saddlemen Renegade Solo Seat this Christmas for my 900 Custom. Unfortunately, it will be a few months before I can give any feedback on it.

I am thinking of getting a solo rack for the back fender. No one makes them for the 900, so I may have to rig some way to attach a generic rack. ANyone done that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.