Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How high can you go?

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  chi 
#1 ·
Recently bought a 1998 800 classic and am wanting to go with some higher bars... anyone know how high you can go with stock cables or any setups (risers/bars) that work

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
Have 4 1/2 up 1" pull back, mounted reverse, with stock cables wires and brake line. Had to reroute the front brake line, but works. Also rotated the bars up just short of the windshield, a 19" Memphis fats. Thats pretty much the limit, but makes the riding position much better, for me. I'm 5'8" with 31" inseam.

#4 ·
Do a search through the 800 forum and thee are a couple threads on the forward control extentions that people have made. They will most likely send you a PM with instructions to make your own. Easy to do. All you really need to do is duplicate the mounting holes a couple inches farther forward and maby even an inch or so higher if you like. I believe 3" fwd and 1" up is the most I've seen so far.

#6 ·
I actually started making a set of forward control mounts today. I went 4 inches forward And 1 inch out, not up, have them roughed in and mounted. So much more comfortable. I will snap some pictures in the morning if I have time. So far have only needed a drill and grinder.....

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#9 ·
Rough pictures

Here is what i have so far, just trying to mock up the right size to feel most comfortable, I am 5'10" I have a 31" inseam. these are sitting at 4 inches forward and one inch out. I think i may back off to about 3- 3.5" to get the perfect fit.

#11 ·
Is that the 4" set or did you shorten it down to 3-3.5"? Saw you were gonna make a shorter set and wasn't sure if you want to sell the other, I was looking to go 5 or 6 but wasn't sure about it... but they look pretty good so far

#13 ·
With stock risers and cables, the most you can do is a 10" mini-ape:

I put 10" Santee Miniapes on my 800 classic. The throttle and brake cables have lot's of slack - imagine they'd probably be fine on 14"!

On the other hand, the stock clutch cable just makes it if you reroute it behind the triple-tree. Anything more than a 10" bar and you're gonna need a new clutch cable.

#17 ·
Nice bike you got there Whiskey I'm torn between some low end Khrome Works mini apes and some Wild 1 Outlaws, probably go with the cheaper in case I do need wires and I have a few other things I have on my wish list right now just to see how I like them. My buddy has some 16" on his HD soft tail he will trade on if I wanna go bigger

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
WiskeySix, are those bars narrower than the stock bars? Narrower would allow more hieght I would think. When I put the 4" up 1" foward risers on mine, the front brake hose was my limiting factor, had to reroute it in front of the tree.

#16 · (Edited)
I think they're about the same width - though I'd have preferred them a little narrower - like the Biltwel Frisco's.

Whiskey, what type of rear lights and how did you mount them? Can you post closeup shots and an explanation if the shots are insufficient to show well how they mount? Just wondering since I dislike clutter and like to keep everything tight and streamlined.

I took the lights off this plate-mount:
http://goo.gl/SCw6m

I then just made little L-brackets out of some $3 aluminum I got from home depot. one side screws under the seat-springs, and the other into the light.

The real trick is getting them to work right though. Easiest way is to use a trailer-light converter. I used this one: http://goo.gl/PWdyr

Don't have one of them mounted, but here's one of when I was making the brackets:

(nice thing about aluminum [in addition to the fact that it's cheap and in-stock at HD] is that it's so easy to bend/drill/dremel/shape )

#15 ·
Whiskey, what type of rear lights and how did you mount them? Can you post closeup shots and an explanation if the shots are insufficient to show well how they mount? Just wondering since I dislike clutter and like to keep everything tight and streamlined.

#20 ·
Finally got around to replacing my bars, went with 12" Khrome Works mini apes and a +6" clutch cable. I had to reroute the throttle cables behind the trees, brake line from under trees to in front and the electrical on the clutch side instead of leaving it running through the frame I took off the tank and rerouted on top of the spine but under the tank and fits great. Thanks for all the insight and suggestions!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 ·
Yea but I think 15" is legal limit here in SC and I was just testing these out to make sure I liked the higher grip. Will probably get some 15" Kong 1-1/2" bars and wire my electrical through the bars next year if I can wait that long

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.