Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Why so popular

10K views 56 replies 36 participants last post by  Vulcar 
#1 ·
Whats make these 900 so popular?

is it the price ?

#2 ·
Perfect size and weight for a cruiser for anything other than long highway trips.

Great around town runabout, good back highway cruiser. Comfortable (except the seat) and fits people of a large size range. It is reasonably light weight and very easy to drive.

#3 ·
For me its the combination of size and price. I'm a bigger guy so I wouldn't look right on a small slim motorcycle. Also this is my first motorcycle and I originally was looking at the V-Star 600 and Shadow 750 and then I read up on vulcan 900 and the pricing was a plus. I've been very happy with my purchase.

#4 ·
When i first started shopping for a cruiser, i was interested in the Yamaha Raider, but the price was astronomical, so i thought about the Stryker, but thats still retarded. Then i stumbled upon the VN900 Custom, and i noticed it had the same rake, and swing arm suspension, similar to the Harley softail, which i always thought looked good. So i stopped in to the local Kawi Dealer to sit on one, it was a good size and i didnt look like a bear on a unicycle. The price was reasonable, i honestly would have liked a little more power, but i am very happy with my purchase, it looks good and its fun to drive.

#5 ·
Let's see if I can sum the pros up (IMO):

Great price, great size for nearly all riders, good weight to power ratio, 5.3 gallon tank, great gas mileage, good looks, seemingly unlimited accessories / performance parts, customizable for 100's of different looks, nice handling and easy to work on.

Here's my short list of cons: front brakes can feel a little 'soft' at times, horrible stock seat (on the Custom) and more plastic body parts than expected. However, I think the plastic keeps the price down, keeps the weight down and is easy to replace. As far the front brake, my wish list would be dual front brakes. I've also heard that braided brake lines give a more solid brake response. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
I don't have the experience of many bikes or hours on a bike. I don't have the money that many have. I had a need! This bike fit what I needed in many ways but it all comes down to the ride. Right?

I came from a short time on a Honda 750. I test rode this used 900, and in less than 60 secs., I was done looking.

In less than a year of riding it, I've not been disappointed after every single ride.

#8 ·
I live in a Harley dominated area and I am the one that always goes against the grain.. I ride with PRIDE and ride with the Harleys but they never give me any crap. We all enjoy the road.. I am 5'15" and pushing 240 lbs and have no issues what so ever. Not a straight road near me and the natural gas guys have rebuilt 90% of our roads so riding is as smooth as ever.. You do have to watch out for the water tankers but other then that, lean into the corners until the weeds smack your hands and the gremlin bell is chiming away...

#9 ·
Perfect Combination

I Just purchased a used 900 LT. My son bought his 900 Custom brand new in 2007. I have a 2005 1500 Classic and yet I always loved riding my son's 900 because of it's nimble and easy maneverability.

I got a great deal on this LT and I bought it for short trips around town, ect. The 1500 definitely rides better, but it can be heavy and cumbersome in tight places. This LT is so easy to balance and ride it is just a totally different experience. And, the gas mileage is about 8-10 better than the bigger Classic.

#10 ·
#11 ·
900 classic. I put on a galfer braided fr brake cable. It is a notable difference over stock. The front now has a firm feel, no mush. I do have to be careful not to pull on the lever too hard sometimes cause the front will lock up pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
I like the seat height, the balance, the torque at low rev's, that it is fuel injected. I love the look and how it handles. Had originally figured I would ride this for a couple years and then buy a bigger bike, leaving this one for my wife to move up to. Wife is looking for another bike cause I am not giving my 900 up.:)

#15 ·
I can't add much to the list here. Originally, we got an '09LT for my wife because she had to give up here GL1800 Gold Wing due to her rheumatoid arthritis that made it difficult for her to manage the weight of the bike. She immediately fell in love with the LT. Then I rode it a few times and liked it enough to pick up a nice used '06 Classic that I turned into a "poor man's" LT. After we moved to Alaska, I sold the Classic because I didn't need two bikes, and so I now get to ride Peggy's LT whenever I want to. I like it for all the reasons already listed.

#16 ·
The VN900 matches many of the requirements for a broad spectrum of riders.

Size: Large frame so big guys feel comfortable; low seat and light weight so smaller riders can handle it easily.

Power: It may not be much of a racehorse; but it will go from a stop to hiway speed faster than most peoples cars.:) It will then maintain those hiway speeds all day long; without beating the rider up.

Appearance: While this is subject; between the classic and the custom they have a look that most cruiser riders will like.

Price: It is priced at the "Opening Price Point"; this is always going to be popular with entry level riders, people who must ride but are short on funds and people who prioritize value over aesthetics. (not that the aesthetics are bad~see Appearance.)

Ease: The size of the bike and displacement make it easy to learn to ride on (but still powerful and comfortable enough to enjoy after the learning curve) and it is engineered to be relatively low maintenance.

I would not be surprised if the mid sized cruisers were not the best sellers of most metric manufactures.

Scott

#17 ·
The Vulcan 900 is the epitome is 'one size fits all'. It's a bike that really can do just about anything, at least halfway. It can tour across the country for thousands of miles with trailer in tow, it can cram along urban streets and fight traffic, it can carve up corners. It can't do the long haul like a goldwing or the urban streets like a scooter or the corners like a sportbike, but it does an excellent job of being a capable bike in any situation, even if it's not the best bike for the situation.

It's also, in my mind, the PERFECT beginners bike. This was my first bike. It's a bike that was tame and easy, and I could learn on. But, not, I can and have taken it all around the state, and neighboring states, on trips lasting hundreds of miles. A big fuel tank, decent size to the bike, and great fuel economy makes it an excellent tourer. With hard bags and a trunk, the wife and I have taken this bad boy all over the place. We've packed for weeks onto the bike, including laptop, DSLR Camera, enough clothes to not have to do laundry once, and rode interstates, back roads, and everything in between on the way to our various destinations. Not many bikes can do that, do it comfortably, and STILL be something a new rider can learn on.

#26 ·
plus 1 .... while it is not a bike that does all things great, it does however, do most things well:)

#18 ·
pros...belt drive,FI,liquid cooled,light ,fun to ride lots of accessories large cruisers are only fun in a straight line the 900 out maneuvres them also large fuel tank! cons should have had a 6th gear does not have self cancelling turn signals,( i put signal minder on mine) also self adjusting valves whould have been nice but no biggy! just my 2 cents worth.

#19 · (Edited)
I looked at many. Came close to buying the Nomad but when it came right down to it, when I sat on it, it just felt right. It rivals many bikes on size for it's category being built after if bigger brother VN2000. It just felt less intimidating with the low weight ratio.

At 1st the plastic didn't appeal to me, but it didn't take long to acquire the taste. It sheds pounds, don't rust and still glitters. I really like things that don't rust.

I compared many specs to comparing competitive models and it had and still does have state of the art design...FI, liquid cooled (hidden nicely between the frame, more valves/head, etc. all for one low price.

It looks and performs great. Good gas mileage, torque, and very relieable. A joy to ride with plenty for two. I've loaded her up...the more you give her the more she takes and still maintains speed, torque and mileage. Quite incredible.

Accessories gallore...

It's no mystery why Yamaha came out with the 950...hum...wonder...where did they get that styling?

And for all the other reasons listed.

#20 · (Edited)
It's a beautiful looking bike. In its class nothing looks as good. Small engine by cruiser standards but looks like a big mutha. Has plenty of power but a 6th gear would make it perfect. I can 2-up all day at 110km (??mph) but it would be nicer at 3000rpm rather than 4000.
As said it is not too big to manhandle in tight spaces but is still weighty enough to feel like a big bike. Needs standard octane fuel only and has a great range (approx 390 klm or so) thanks to big tank and good mileage.

#21 ·
Best bike in its class (I test rode all of them), and one of the best value bikes around in terms of buying, running and maintaining. A good looking, decent handling bike with zero issues (I consider the stator a maintenance item). And it's not a bike you ever feel 'inadequate' on, if that matters to you.

#22 ·
After reading all this I have to also agree with this list, I bought mine for the shear fact of it's look and when I sat on it I could put my feet flat on the ground.

#23 ·
I agree with all the above I love My bike

#24 ·
+1 with all the lists. What I have found is the 900 is a great platform to customize from no matter your personal taste. This bike can take on many different looks.....
Bobber
Bagger
Light touring
Full touring (i.e. fairing, trunk, hard saddlebags)

It's versatile.... and on this forum I think we have seen them all.... :D

#29 ·
What are they actual CC's of the bikes? Most companies tend to round them. Like a 1600 kaw is actually 1552. The V2K is the only exception that I have seen. It is 2053 and they rounded it down to 2000.

The 900 is 903 and the 950 Yamaha is 942 so that is only 39 cc's difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.