Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Walmart "light bar"

10K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  KahWahSahKey 
#1 ·
Got this idea from the Volusia Riders forum & borrowed it for my 1500 Classic!

Those are $19 chromed fog lights from Walmart. Drilled two holes and light bar installed!

I don't have them wired yet. I don't know jack about wiring so my neighbor will help me with that later. Once I get them wired I can position them too. I messed up just a bit on the brake handle side...the hole wasn't quite close enough to the headlight so I'll have to dremel the windshield just a bit to make some room. That's so I can position the light properly & so it doesn't vibrate against the windshield.

Also, some have mentioned metal on metal causing a rattle so what they did was installed some type of rubber washer between the turn signal bar & the light brackets. I didn't have time to run to the hardware store so I improvised a bit. In the package there is a plastic strip that the lights are mounted to. I cut it to the size of the bracket, drilled a hole and put it between the turn signal bar & the mounting brackets. I'll find out soon enough if it helps with the vibration & eventually I'll find out if it lasts for the long haul.

Anyway, I like that I'll be able to use these to illuminate the road a bit better at night (50w bulbs) and position my headlight a bit more up the road.

See less See more
#2 ·
thought about doing that on my 900, but after finding out that they are 50 watts each, i decided i didnt want to add that much load to my stator

#4 ·
My driving light have 35 watt Halogens and seem to do just fine on the electrical system. And as an added bonus they're twice as bright as the headlight.

#6 ·
I got some for $40 on ebay. See my profile. Came with all the wiring, switch and relay and look very decent on the bike. If I ever change them out BK Rider has a 4 1/2 Harley headlight that is high/low beam, $26 each. I would love to have it so that I can have three high beams on at once. My lights are also 55 watts and really light up the night.

#7 ·
Looks nice!

Got mine all figured out & hooked up. Tapped into the low beam, so when the high beam is on they are off. That's ok though because my high beam is enough for when I need it. By tapping into the low beam the lights don't come on until the bike is started & the headlight comes on.

I took a ride down a dark road on the way home tonight & those 55 watt lights really lit up the road in front of me.

#8 ·
Just bought a set of "PLATINUM BURNER SERIES QH-85CD" driving lights to mount to my highway bar. Plan to wire them to the battery through a switch mounted in the left side cover. My question is they come with a 15amp fuse. Is this going to be a problem for the charging system, 55 watts? 05 800 classic. Also have a CycleSounds handle speaker system on it. Only plan to use out of town at 45mph or higher.

#10 ·
ISLANDER, to go to someones profile from here, left click on there name and a drop down will show. It should give you option to veiw there profile, send private message and couple other choises. If not set to private, you should be able to veiw from there.

#15 ·
Thanks

Thanks Rick.

#22 ·
Gonna see how the LEDs work out first, but that's plan B.

You may be surprised. I replaced mu 25 W driving lights with 4W LEDs and they are whiter and brighter. Not as well focused but they do the job very well for me. Good Luck, Ride Safe and Enjoy the Trip!
Thanks! I'll find out tonight!

KWSK,
Be sure to let us know how those LED's work. I have over 7000 miles on my 'walmart' bullet lights w/no issues; but if 4 watts will work, why not?
Oh yeah, if you got a link to the LED's you use, that would be great too!:D

Scott
I will be sure to do so. I have to get the link from the dude who gave them to me. I'll be sure to provide when I return from TN.

#26 ·
Wal-Mart lights? From the auto dept?

#28 ·
Great. I will look for them. Thanks.

#30 ·
Very Interesting Mod, Have to look into this, but how this all work out for You?

This post has been deleted
#33 ·
ok then , just use the brown lead to tie the two lamps into, but what about the 55 watt lamps is that to much on the stator ?

#32 ·
I think with a couple well placed diodes that you could tie the relay to either the bright or dim headlamp filament so the lights would go on regardless of whichever beam was selected. I'm going to go play with this myself. It's a great idea and I need to test my theory. Thanks for sharing! Really wish I had a heated garage!

#40 ·
Don't worry...that wasn't the issue for me!

Went to Farm & Fleet today and bought a 60K BTU propane/forced air torpedo heater. Have to wait till after Christmas to use it. It's to be a present from the Wife & Grandson. So, I will have heat finally! jus another couple weeks to wait......
Or as it's know in WI, Fleet Farm. Or another name for it is best store ever!

#36 · (Edited)
I did the same thing with my Drifter. I used a couple of 35w lamps and even though Drifters only have 1 stator vs. 2 on all the other Vulcan's, it does just fine. It's tight, but there's about 1/8" between the light housings. The extra light is great to have, that's for sure. I wired them to be on all the time on their own circuit. Did the mod a few years ago. Here's a pic:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.