Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Question on De-baffling the pipes on a Voyager

9K views 39 replies 17 participants last post by  Goofy1 
#1 ·
I have read and read and while I get the general idea I still don't feel comfortable enough to take a hole saw to my stock pipes of my Voyager. I did this on my 2006 Nomad and was comfortable taking it on because there was multiple threads with pictures and videos on the subject. I have read enough to know that the process on the 1700 pipes is nothing like doing the 1600 pipes.

This made such a huge difference on my Nomad that I would love to get similar results in my Voyager.

Does anybody know of a picture laden set of instructions on de-baffling the 1700 pipes? Videos would be even better! Thanks for any help you can provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
grip it and rip it! you could be the first video on the tube. i helped my buddy do his 1600 without a video and besides some bloody knuckles it came out fine

#5 ·
I was also looking for a video "how too", but once you hold a 1 1/4" hole saw to the inside of the pipe...you'll realize just how simple it is. You have to get an arbor extension from home depot and a hole saw. You're only cutting through thin pieces of sheet metal. First one you can see right at the rear, second one is further in about 4inches if I remember. The trick is be real easy on the second one, as there is catalytic material beyond that one and you don't want to cut that(or at least I didn't).

The first metal plate came out still attached to the hole saw. Removed it with a screwdriver and did the second one. the second one didn't come out attached to the hole saw and it's probably still in there. A buddy of mine did his and had the same result. Sounds much better, but is definately not a loud bike.

Don't overthink it. It's really not a complicated modification. Just do it (like Nike says)

#7 ·
I believe I read on here last week that there are 2 from the back side, then the catalitic converter. If you take the mufflers off, I think I remember them saying there were 1 or 2 more on that end. You should make a very noticable difference from just the back side without removing the mufflers.

#10 ·
I did my vaquero same pipes without takin them off just make sure the arber is tite so the hole saw don't fall off. If is does I used a magnet to get it I used 1 1/4 bi metal hole saw for mine some say they used 1 1/2 but that bearly fits the hole. Sounds better not loud its ease to do don't sweet it.

#12 ·
Today I heard a Road Glide with V&H full pipes with stage two kit. At idle I could feel it in my chest. It was like standing in front of a bass drum. That bike sounded like a late 60s muscle car. Nice and deep sounding.

For me, debaffled pipes just sound loud without a nice tuned sound.

#13 ·
I did the debaffle within about a month of getting the bike. Not sure if there is a noticeable difference when just doing this. The biggest thing holding back that motor is the highly restrictive intake system and the epa compliant fuel mapping. Once I did a big air intake and a power commander the power was definately noticeable.
I'm sure the bike breathes a little better with the debaffle, just not sure the "performance gain" is measurable by the seat of the pants. I like the sound of the bike enough, that I decided the bike didn't need aftermarket pipes (about $500 savings).

#14 ·
How about a couple of you guys that did it already just take a couple pics of a muffler end on what it looks like and a shot down the hole??

Not a hard request. And a lot of us would appreciate it....

#15 ·
Audio/Video of a before and after Debaffle would also be useful if anyone would be so inclined.

To be specific, we are talking about the 1.25" Hole Saw removal of the central baffle plates.

It is clearly easy to remove the two end plates in both the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero Duals as well as the Classic Shotgun Mufflers.

From what I am reading, however, only the Classic Shotgun Mufflers allow for removal for direct access to the front baffle plate in each muffler.

Since I have a Classic LT, I would be most interested in how the Classic sounds with just the first two baffle plates in each muffler removed, as well as the sound with all three plates per muffler removed.

Thanks!

#17 ·
once you hold a 1 1/4" hole saw to the inside of the pipe...you'll realize just how simple it is. You have to get an arbor extension from home depot and a hole saw

You don't need a video. Its a simple mod. You already know how to use a drill(hopefully).

#19 ·
I have been cutting baffles out of scoot mufflers for 50 years... But some of these guys in here have never seen it done and may have not ever seen a muffler that has had it done.... and you cannot blame them for being cautious about it.

What may be simple for some is a major operation for others.... remember that.....

#21 · (Edited)
Where is Gadgets page??? How about a link..... some of us are forum challenged... or search well....

GUTTING 1600 MUFFLERS, the pic is identical to our 1700 mufflers EXCEPT our mufflers have 2 baffles to remove from the rear, NOT 3.
Actually that is funny....... the same but different.... I heard that a lot from my troops when I was in the AF......

#24 ·
I drilled out the 2 back plates on mine. In order to drill out the front plates, the mufflers have to come off. Not a problem on the right pipe, but you would have to cut the crossover pipe off the left one, drill the plate, and weld it back on. That's why I just drilled the back 2 plates. Sprayed some WD-40 on the hole saw and it chewed right through. It does sound a little better, but I still want to change out the mufflers.

#27 ·
Okay... I drilled out both of the rear baffle plates on each of the mufflers. I had to buy another 12" arbor extension because I was bottoming out the drill trying to reach the second plate with only one.

Question: Has anyone that has done this experienced a chirping sound on final decel when you roll off the throttle? When I roll on the throttle standing beside the bike, I hear some strange chirping like sound just as the pipes settle down back to idle. For the life of me, I can't tell if this sound is coming from the pipes themselves or I have a mount rattling somewhere near the rear of the bike. Never heard this sound before drilling out the baffle plates.

#29 ·
Did you remove all the pieces? If the chirping is from the engine/mufflers it should do it whether you are moving or not.

Normally a chirping on decel is the belt.

#30 ·
What I'm hearing seems to be coming from the pipes, not the belt. I've heard the noise the belt makes. Mine did it before I had the shop loosen it a bit on the 600 mile tune-up.

I'm curious if somehow the vibration of me drilling the baffles loosened a mounting point somewhere. I'm going to take a closer look at it tomorrow to see where all the mounting points are on the exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#31 · (Edited)
One thing I forgot... moving the mufflers around a lot could have loosened your muffler gaskets as they are somewhat fragile. But when my Venture gaskets made noise it was like a chirp that moaned on a violin string.

Try tightening the gaskets some. Also check the exhaust gaskets at the heads. Those copper gaskets can leak also when disturbed.

#32 ·
Please forgive my ignorance, but I've never removed a set of OEM pipes from a bike. Can you tell me what gaskets you are referring to and where I can locate them?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.