Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Another new bike!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  reddyford 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just got home with my new 2012 Vulcan 1700 Voyager (non-ABS). I also have a 2007 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI that I bought new five and a half years ago. It was time to think about a new bike, as I'd put 104,000 miles on it! I'm keeping it and will fix it up and keep riding! I rode at least 300 miles a week just commuting for work so the miles add up. I do almost all my own maintenance and even teach a local class about how to do the simple things on a bike, oil changes, general maintenance etc. I specialize in electrical systems repairs and installations of accessories.

I look forward to chatting with you on the forums.

Hugs to all!

Jami

#5 ·
WElcome to the Forums from TX

#6 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone, I have a 2007 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI that I bought new five and a half years ago. It was time to think about a new bike, as I'd put 104,000 miles on it! I do almost all my own maintenance and even teach a local class about how to do the simple things on a bike. I specialize in electrical systems repairs and installations of accessories. Jami
Welcome and congrats on the new VV. Also congrats on owning, maintaining, and preserving your 1500. I have an 08 Vulcan 1500, with 24K miles, and plan on keeping her for....hopefully as many miles as you got.

I was wondering if you could share a component replacement breakdown and at what mileage the install/maintenance was done. For instance: timing chain extension is known to be done @ 35K to 40K, was that your experience? Any stator problems or replacements? How about final gear or clutch/tranny troubles? Did You lub the Swing Arm bearings or replace? Any other electrical anomalies: such as ECU failure or nuisance faults and sensor longevity? Anything else that comes to mind would be beneficial and appreciated.

Since you've owned for 100K+ smiles would you also tell us what kind of rider you are? Drive her like you stole her, or like me, just enjoy the journey and open her up occasionally. Thank you in advance Jami!! :) Doug

Edit: If you find this is something (a project) you want to do, maybe we could coordinate an effort to copy and paste our posts in the 1500 section where more people would benefit.

#7 ·
Maintenance records

I"ll post it here and you can copy it over to the 1500 site. I'm a very laid back rider. I commute 300 miles a week and try to extend my gas mileage as much as possible. I get on it once in a while but not often.

I've been very fortunate, I've not had to replace anything on the bike other than an oil seal on the transverse clutch lever that comes off the clutch slave cylinder and runs across the bike to push the clutch (about every 30K miles) and the rear brake disc and rebuild the rear caliper (30700 miles), battery (44900 miles). I've had to replace that oil seal 3 times. You can tell when it comes out because you'll have an oil leak that drips down your kickstand. The last time i changed it, I dropped the old one down into the engine and had to pull the engine almost all the way out to get the left side open to get it out. I used red lock tight around it this last time and haven't had any issues. The oil seal is part number 92049-1017 on the front bevel gear fiche.

I have a slight final gear oil leak due to the seals being worn. I've religiously pulled and greased the drive shaft every 7500-9000 miles and not had any issues with it other than dropping that d--n pin once! I haven''t had to grease the swing arm at all. I haven't put the cam chain tensioners in and that's probably why I have oil leaking from the right rear spark plug tunnel. I do have at least one hydraulic lifter making noise but to replace it, I'd be better off replacing all eight of them.

I put Progressive springs in the front end at about 56K miles. I'm meticulous about oil changes, rear end oil changes, lube jobs, changing the clutch and brake fluid every two years, flushing and changing the coolant, cleaning and changing filters. I've run Mobile One High Mileage 10W-40 synthetic oil and Kuryakn oil and air filters since 7500 miles. I've replaced the brake pads about every 30-45K miles. The cause of the rear disc and caliper going bad was the piston got stuck due to some sand (I'm in Florida).

My mechanic and I went through the whole bike and to fix everything to get another 100K miles out of it would cost me about $4000 and that would include rebuilding the top end and replacing the cam chains and rebuilding the final drive. I'll do it but it's going to have to wait until I get the Voyager paid off in about two years. I can do a lot of the stuff myself but I don't go into engines. I don't have the experience or skill to do that.

I keep good records of everything I do on the bike and can give you that list of when everything was done and the part numbers and supplies I used if you wish. Hope this helps!

Jami

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.