Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Fuel Pump Issues

13K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  gator21 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI and have my fuel pump out and am shocked of the price of $474 to $575 to replace it. Any one have any help? Please? :mad:

#2 ·
i read on here somewhere that a pump from some toyota car will work.....wish i could be more help to ya !

#3 ·
I wouldn't doubt it. Lots of manufacturers buy parts from a third party who might supply several OEM's! For a while there just about everybody (including Harley) were almost exclusively using just two brands of japanese made carbs (Mikuni and Keihen).

#5 ·
Thanks

I'm willing to try anything at this point. I'll stop with pump in hand and part numbers at a local advanced and see if they can track it down. Even $100 wouldn't be bad. I bought this bike used a couple years ago, and the fuel pump would act up once in a while, but usually if turned off and on a few times it would be ok. The fuses are good and the relay works, so its down to the pump, all wiring is good.
I was told by the Kaw dealer that this winter and ethanol gas screws up the pumps.
Thanks , I'll post if I get a fit

#13 ·
Well so far got 2 different pumps and not matching up. The one on Ebay thru High Flow, first of all didn't come with all accessories show, main thing being the Rubber Isolator/Holder on the opposite side of the terminals. I'm getting back and forth email but saying can't get that part and saying it will work with the old one, but no match. So I went with option 2 Airtex E2111 thru Advanced Auto. The pump is close match, terminals a little different and length different and this came with Rubber Isolator/Holder but will not fit and hold into my Pump assemble. Now have 2 pumps to return and wasted time? Any ideas?

#16 ·
Fuel Pump Issues Continue

Well I managed with much modification to make the fuel pump from High Flow to work, although the Screen/filter wouldn't fit. But got it all together and turn the key, can hear the relay kicking in but not the fuel pump. So I'm thinking can't be ignition, relay is good, fuses are good, there must be something else? :confused:

#17 ·
Back up and running

Thanks for all the help and suggestion, but it turned out to be a separate fuse assemble under the seat? Needless to say I check the fuse box and the relay. Oh well new pump, around $100, and much wasted time it is up and running.
Thanks

#18 ·
Thanks for all the help and suggestion, but it turned out to be a separate fuse assemble under the seat? Needless to say I check the fuse box and the relay. Oh well new pump, around $100, and much wasted time it is up and running.
Thanks
I guess this got missed, but, in the future, before buying new parts make sure they are getting juice! If something like this were to happen again, pull the connector off of the pump and test it with a voltage tester. In this case, you'd have found that no combination of key on/off, cranking, etc. caused any voltage to be read, because the fuse was not allowing the juice to flow!

#19 ·
this is the reason I joined this forum. out of the blue, about a month ago, my pump wouldn't kick on. after several on / off cycles of the ign. switch it did. then it would only run on 1 cylinder. I rode it about 6miles before the other cyl. kicked in. no problems for a month or so.. this past week I replaced my battery, went for a nice ride, no problems. the next day I wanted to go for a ride and no more humming of the pump could be heard. fuse was good, relay was clickin when the ign. switch was moved on/off. was hoping for some input from someone, but I couldn't wait any longer. I pulled the tank 1/2 way off, put a test light to the wire plug going to the pump, and its got power with key on. so I took it all the way apart and disassembled the pump assembly. pump in hand , hooked + and - to the battery and its dead. I found a complete assembly on ebay for 109.00. he says it was off a 2001 with 14,000 miles on it . it'll get here in 2days, while I'm at work for 2 weeks. now ive got another mess in the garage that's currently unfinished:surprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.