Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

engine is making a loud clicking noise?

8K views 31 replies 6 participants last post by  SWVA_08V2k 
#1 ·
hi all, went for a cruise yesterday on the highway and something happened to my bike. i was moving along doing 70 while approaching the car in front of me. douche bag to the left of me kept speeding up and slowing down while i was motioning to get in front of him or to pass already. i finally had enough and gunned the throttle and got to about 85 and cut through the traffic and got away from those idiots. thats when my bike started having this loud ticking noise coming from the crankcase or engine. It does it while idling and gets faster as i rev the bike. Did i cause it to get low on oil? Did i bend a push rod? is this going to be an expensive fix if its a bent push rod?

#5 ·
It sounds like Adrenaline induced hyper sensitivity to me ! and now he is hearing his engine for the first time !

#7 ·
I like that. Do they make a pill for that. I replaced a clutch in my Z-28 once because of the same thing. But after that incident (when I was 19) I learned my lesson.

#9 ·

Attachments

#10 ·
1981. It had a 305 with a 4 speed.
I was a Chevy mechanic at a dealership back in late '68 and early '69.
I used to get brand new '69 Z-28s right off the truck! Pretty nice kick for an 18 year old kid to get to be the first to drive these. Throw in a few 396 Novas and even a ZL-1 Camaro (with an all aluminum 427) and it got even better!
I did watch with horror as a delivery truck driver, trying to back a new Z-28 off of the truck, completely trash the clutch in a little over 5 minutes! :eek:

#19 ·
Being a '92 then the timing chains are probably worn beyond service and need to be replaced. It is my finding that when they get that far they accelerate wear and the snowball effect ya know. It is probably due a full top end too. Properly done it would be a real performer again, in fact it would be better than new.

#25 ·
A funny side story: I worked second shift. The dealership closed at 9 pm, but the service shop stayed open until 12:30 am. The employes were supposed to use the parking lot about a block away, but I used to park my car at the very back of the used car lot so I didn't have to walk as far. The used car sales manager always used to rag me about parking there, saying that nobody wanted to see a car that old on the lot.
My car was a jet black '57 BelAir 2 door hardtop in pristine condition.
I wonder if they'd throw it off the lot these days. It's a lot older now! lol :D

#27 · (Edited)
So, it's at the shop. What would you like us to do? We are all waiting breathlessly for the prognosis, and making idle conversation in the meantime. This thread wandered off because you gave us zero information when you started it.

#31 ·
My bet is that the shop is going to be XXXXXXXXXXXspensive !

#32 ·
I have not found a shop yet that is not expensive. But that is why I do everything I can to fix everything myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.