Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Opinion on the competition's new stuff?

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  V2Celt 
#1 ·
Honda launched some new bikes yesterday, have you checked them out? What is your opinion on the competition?

Click to see new Honda's

#2 ·
well at least they tried with the Gold Wing F6B.....should have built something more like the valkarie but with a fairing !!!

#3 ·
Agreed. I thought it still looked good and was a sharp looking bike but I think it would have looked better on something like the valk.

I have also noticed that a lot of companies are making the older looking bikes again like honda has done with the CB1100.

#4 ·
That GW "cruiser" style is interesting; if I ever go GW, that would be the one. And the 1300 custom line is workable. "Meh..." to the rest.

#6 ·
I like the look of the F6B. Essentially a bagger, ish, but all the features of a GW. Wonder how it compares to the Vaquero and Cross Country.

#8 ·
The Valkyrie DID have a fairing version, called the 'interstate'

It's fairing was more batwing-ish and the details, down to the taillights, had a muscle-cruiser flair to it. The Goldwing, while a fantastic bike, is not really much of a cruiser. Even the the F6B to me, is still a sport tourer. In MY opinion, the F6B is going to butt up against the BMW's and Honda's own ST1300 as the 'ultimate' in sleek sport touring. The riding position and styling is a lot more sport than cruiser.

Fantastic bikes though. Being $4,000 cheaper makes it tempting, it puts it in the price range of the touring-cruisers (Voyager, Electra Glide, etc.), which is a big plus in Hondas favor. I suspect people will be putting aftermarket top boxes or even fitting Goldwing top boxes on to these things and just making them a poor mans Goldwing. (Although a $20,000 motorcycle doesn't exactly sing poverty, LOL). I really think Honda could make this a home run if they include a quick-disconnect kit for a matching top box. The top box on the Goldwing is more 'integrated', and the bike itself doesn't quite 'work' without it. (For starters, it contains the taillight and some essential components, such as I believe the actual stereo unit, Honda just uses a 'control pad' up front, as opposed to an actual head unit in the fairing like H-D and Kawasaki) This bike however, could be a really cool 'convertible' tourer with a quick disconnect top box, similar to how Harley does with the street glide or electra glide.

All in all I like the F6B, but I don't think it's revolutionary. I certainly don't think it's a replacement for the Valkyrie Interstate.

I like the CB1100 also. I am secretly hoping Kawasaki follows suit and re-introduces the KZ series of motorcycles. Now that both Honda and Triumph are making clones of their past models. I know triumph uses 'fake' carbs complete with non-working choke knobs, and even non-functional sync screws and all sorts of little components to make it look exactly like the older carb setups in order to house and disguise the fuel injection system. I wonder if Honda is doing similar?

#9 ·
Did not know about the "Interstate" model, which I never really was a big fan of Honda's. But I like it.

I was thinking the same thing about the F6B. A quick connect top box would make a nice option for it and have the ability to change from a "around town" bike to a "touring" bike. But from the pics it looks like they did not really leave any spot open to do that with that is not covered in some sort of plastic. To me it looks like their attempt to turn the bike in to a "Bold-Wing" instead of a "Old-Wing"

#14 ·
I think SWVA is right; they are trying to get away from the "Old Wing" label.
At least they are still trying new things in the U.S. market.

I kinda like that F6B!
If they were to put forward controls (I know, its a 6 cyl) and some pullback risers on it; I think they would have a hit.
I like that old Interstate too. Probably better!

It doesn't look like the NC700 will come as a DCT this time. Too bad.:(
I think an automatic tranny on a entry level bike could be a real good thing.

Scott

#19 ·
An Automatic like a CVT trans kinda like what is in ATV's or Automatic as in you still have to change the gears but no clutch.

#20 ·
Here is the 'cut and paste' info on the DN-01.

Honda's stunning new DN-01 is in a class of its own—the world's first crossover bike. Styled like a sportbike, but offering Honda's radical new HFT Transmission, it's an automatic unlike anything you've ever seen. You can shift it into six preset ratios, or you can let it function as a stepless, no-shifting Constantly Variable Transmission, or CVT. The DN-01 is a perfect choice if you're looking to get into motorcycling or if you're just a long-time rider who wants to be on the most cutting-edge bike out there.

Looking for the NC700 info I found that the 2013 VFR1200F has the DCT transmission. So, they haven't given up on an automatic.:)

Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.