Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

V2K License Light/Tail Light Replacement LED ?

8K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Jammin'John 
#1 ·
Hey folks my '09 V2KLT blew the license plate light.
Is it a PITA to change ?
Do you have to take the tail light off from under the fender ?
Are there LED's available to replace the license & tail/brake light ?

thanks,
JJ

#2 ·
#4 ·
Bags

Gotta carry my stuff.
Not crazy about these bags but they'll have to do.
I agree though that the plate is where my rack should actually be. Oh well.

thanks,
JJ

#3 ·
No, not a pita to change but yes you do have to take the whole assembly off. Three nuts in the fender and the assembly pulls off the back. It does come in LED readily available at most auto parts stores. Just a push in bulb but read the package to make sure what color they are since they're all clear when not lit up.

#5 ·
Bulb #'s ?

I'd like to find the bulb #'s before I take the light off the bike.
I would probably change the brake/tail to LED as well.

thanks,
John

#11 ·
Screws

Why they didn't put screws in the lens & a trap door for the license or a lighted license is beyond me.

Tail/Brake is #7443 also ATM 7443

License is #161 or 194 L.E.D.

Thanks,I'll try the car jack if I can't get my hands in there.

It's a heavy bike.

JJ

#13 ·
It gets a little more involved if you have the factory saddlebag supports but if you dont its only:
the 2 bots that hold on the chrome to the fender. (each side)
2 bolt under the chrome that holds the fender to the support. (each side)
You have to remove the latch that holds the passenger seat down.
2 bolts under the riders seat.
Under the drivers seat there is a plug that unhooks all the fender wiring and off she comes.

I take mine off to do rear tire changes. It just opens it up and makes it easier to work on.

#18 ·
#20 ·
Tailight replacement

Piece of cake to do unless you have really big hands. But you'll need a metric Allen wrench set and a 10mm socket. On the inside of the rear fender, remove the cover with the three Allen bolts then remove the three bolts with the 10 mm socket. Unplug the white electrical plug then remove the whole taillight assembly from the outside. It might be a bit sticky so work it a bit but it'll come off. The you can access the bulbs. I put in a Kisan Taiblazer that flashes drivers behind you.

#21 ·
Bulb

Thanks man.
I have to do it but it's been very cold & wintery lately so I haven't bothered yet.
I figured that I should get an LED setup.
I have heard that some of the LED's quality isn't so good so I want to find ones that are reliable.

JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.