Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Polished out my Forks!

9K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  whiting57 
#1 ·
I finally got tired of my front forks looking junky and dull... The clearcoat was coming off and they had a yellowed, stained look. So, I whipped out the dremel and grinded down the casting marks near the fender bracket bolts, then starting with 1000grit sandpaper, and working my way up to 3000grit I wet sanded the forks, then polished them out with some mother's aluminum polish and some microfiber towels. I have about 5 hours invested in this, but I think they came out great!

See less See more
#9 · (Edited)
Thank you for all the compliments! I am very happy with the outcome. Walking up and scrubbing down your forks with sandpaper is a scary feeling in the beginning. lol As far as a protective finish/clearcoat... I would love to have them clear powdercoated... But for now I'm going to just let them be. The finish will last for quite a while... I will wash them like normal and hit them up with some mother's polish once a month or so just to keep the shine... It only takes about 10 minutes to achieve the shine again when needed. the hard work is just all the wet sanding. I did not remove the forks... I just took the front fender and bracket off, to make it a little easier...

#13 ·
Looks great !

#15 ·
I did the same thing years ago and did not re clear coat and now they don't look so good anymore. The clear coat keeps the aluminum from oxidizing.

#16 ·
So does using Mother's Aluminum Polish. I've been polishing these "uncoated" billet wheels for years and they still look like new. You just have to stay on top of it and go over them every now and then.

#24 ·
Interested in other polished parts? Id trade my parts for your plus some cash. Heres what I have.

Wheels
Pulley
Rotors
Calipers
Rear caliper holder
Top triple tree
Clutch+brake lever
Handlebar switch housings
Forks

All professionally polished and great condition. Pictures available.

#25 ·
I really want polished wheels! I was hoping to get mine done in the next week or so, but PM me some prices and pics if its not too much hassle... Here is what I am interested in trading plus my cash.
Wheels
Pulley
Rotors
Calipers

#26 ·
I did this also I used 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then mothers polish. i did it about three months ago on my motorcycle that I keep in Florida so far still looks great. Very easy and worthwhile thing to do

#27 ·
Ok my question is the sidemarker how do you get them off ? Do you have to take the wheel off the bike ? I have a LT

#28 ·
I cut mine off with fishing line. lol and then they will leave a mark, until you polish out the forks. I left the wheel on mine and when I was finally done I just washed it all off.

#30 ·
did mine they are mirror finish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.