Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Memphis shade windshield?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  bosco 
#1 ·
Ok I have a question. I finally ordered the fairing for my bike. Guess it will be a Christmass presnt to me. Ordered the fairing an mounts from Meancycles. With there 5% off an free shipping they were cheaper than anyone else I could find even ebay. Now on to my question. I can decide on a windshield. I like the looks of just the 5'' windshield, I also like the Spoiler Windshield 9''. I think the 9'' might block the wind a little more.
Does anyone have the spoiler 9'' on the bike? if so how do you like it?

Thanks

#3 ·
Just finished installing my MS Batwing, and went with the 9" windshield. Perfect fit... I am just looking over the windshield and the wind blockage (test ride) was great.... I am 6'.

#4 ·
I have the batwing with 9" shield (NOT the new "spoiler" shield), and the accessory wind deflectors, on my 900c. The wind protection for me (5'8", and looking a couple inches above the shield, due to my Mustang seat) is great up to ~60 mph, but after that the buffeting gets pretty bad. I'd been thinking about either lowers, the new spoiler shield, or the Laminar Lip to help with the buffeting.

I'll be interested in hearing how you like the 9" spoiler shield, as my previous experience with a GIVI spoiler-shaped shield on a sport-bike I used to own was that it didn't make too much of a difference with smoothness of the airflow.

Otherwise, I love the look on my Custom! :)

#5 ·
Steve, You may want to think about going with some lowers. I added some home made lowers and it nearly eliminated the head buffeting (had the MS Speed Demon windshield at the time), and now with the Batwing, I didn't even notice any headbuffeting last night when I test rode with the new fairing. Pics of my lowers attached.

Attachments

#6 ·
I just added the Memphis Shade Batwing with wind deflectors - 12" shield. I'm 6'0" and see over the shield by a couple inches. Prior to that, I had to sit up slightly to see over my regular MS shield. All and all, the biggest improvement was just adding homemade lowers while using regular MS shield. The only improvement I found so far with the Bat wing, etc. is more wind protection for my hands and hearing the bike engine and exhaust noise. Seems to focus a louder rumble noise back to my helmet. There was no more reduction in wind buffeting after adding the batwing. Passenger did not experience any major change in buffeting.

#7 ·
It's interesting you mentioned more engine noise. Thought I was imagining things as I could swear hearing every little noise from the engine. Even the injector tick was louder. Also notice my hands were much warmer behind the Batwing. Looking forward to riding this weekend, even in the cooler weather.

#9 ·
Agreed. Just had to get used to it. I'll take less wind (plus warmer hands & body) anytime. I actually like the sound of my exhaust (full debaffled stock), and I can actually hear my intake sucking in air (when rolling on the throttle). This bike just keeps getting better.... :D

#10 ·
I bought the 19" Fats and wound up cutting 6" off the top of it so I could see over it so I guess I have a 13" Fats now. I like the way it turned out. I had to cut out for my road lights also.
In the process of fashioning a set of lowers, I have already cut the Lexan just waiting on the hardware to arrive.

#13 ·
Thanks for the link to the image bosco -- I'd been having a hard time figuring out what the MS clamps would look like (they don't have an image on their web site.) I like your ideas for mounting home-made lowers. I've been imagining something similar, but need to find the time to try out the ideas.

I actually have an email out to MS to check the compatibility of their lowers with the batwing with their add-on wind deflectors. With the batwing, the turnsignals can't be moved at all, and they clamp to the forks right where the MS clamps appear to go. WE'll see what MS says when they get back to me!

#14 ·
They are good about responding. I was communicating with them when I first ordered my trigger lock brackets. I remember it was pretty quick. I am sure it all fits together very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.