Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Classic 900 ideal windshield heights?

15K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Vulcar 
#1 ·
Yesterday we rode to a dealership just to have somewhere to ride, and of course to look at Vulcan accessories. They had a 15" Memphis Shades Slim windshield with the black gradient that when held up to my bike looked pretty awesome. The top of the windshield was below my eye level, which I thought was ideal. I don't care about looking through a windshield while driving; in fact I think I would prefer not to. I simply want some protection from the wind at high speeds to reduce fatigue, and of course save my helmet shield from bug splatter :)

Since I'm relatively new to motorcycling, and even newer to the Vulcan Classic I was wondering if anyone out there has a Memphis Shade Slim windshield. If so, what height did you go with?

Any thoughts or suggestions on windshield heights?

Just to throw it out there, I am about 5'8", (so no problem flat-footing the bike at stops) and proportionate, so my torso isn't long and my legs short or vice versa. As I mentioned, the 15" windshield 'appeared' to be about nose level or below when I was sitting on the bike. The guy I was working with said most people try to avoid a windshield where the top hits them at eye level since you either have to look through it or over it and are constantly adjusting their heads to do so.

I'm just a new girl (utterly addicted to my Vulcan) with plenty of questions, and always open to suggestions, feedback, and helpful hints!

:beauty:

See less See more
#2 ·
The fun thing about windshields are you never know what they will do until you get one. I had the same windshield on an 1100 v-star and it done wonderful by its self. Now I have an 08 V2K with the factory windshield. I got a lot of turbulence and air from below the windshield. I had to drill new holes and laid the windshield back to kill the turbulence. Now the air is hitting my wife square in the head. I fell like I can win for losing. I have though about just taking it off and going with out it except in the winter (wife don't ride with me much in the winter)

#3 ·
Small windshields just don't do the job, IMO. The bottom of the WS should come down to within about 3/4" of the headlight to prevent too much air from going under the ws at this point. Meanwhile, the top needs to be tall enough for me to look through it at the road ahead.

I like to look about 2" or 3" below the top of the ws. Since I'm 5' 11" and sit pretty straight up on the seat, I need a tall ws. If a rider looks over the windshield, he/she had better wear glasses because sooner or later some big beatle type bug is going to hit him in the eye. I've been hit numerous times on the front of my helmet which is just about where my eyes would be if I were looking just over the windshield.

Also, head buffeting from the wind is often an issue if you look over the windshield. Just giving my opinion based on my experiences. I'm sure others may have different opinions.

#4 ·
Many of the dealers have a test windscreen from Memphis Shades that you can have someone hold in place while you sit on your bike. It has markings to show you where a 13,15,17,19 inch screen will come too. I found it very handy while trying to make that same decision a few weeks back.

I ended up going with a Fats 17" on my 900. I am 5' 9" and of equal proportions. I have yet to take out the bike with the wind-shield installed to provide feedback but it seems right when I sit on it in the garage. The top of the screen is 2-3 inches below my eyes when sitting at a relaxed posture.

#5 ·
Sit on your bike on a flat stretch of road. Measure 50' in front of your bike and put something on the road to mark the distance. Your line of sight should be able to just look over the top of the windshield and see the mark on the road.

#6 ·
I'm curious. Why is it that we should look OVER the windshield? No one seems to complain about looking through the windshield in their car. :confused: Even if they have a convertible and have the top down, no one (that I know of) tries to look OVER the windshield. They still look THROUGH it.

If there were some severe distortion looking through a motorcycle windshield, then I could understand not wanting to look through it, but all of them that I've had were clear and perfectly normal looking through them. I've ridden for 50 years looking THROUGH windshields and haven't missed seeing anything yet. :confused:

#9 ·
Paco is correct. Measure so that you look over the shield. You might be the exception but the shields will deteriorate over time and distort your vision - esp at night. Remember that they are not made of glass but perspex or variants of that. Even micro scratches which are inevitable will have an effect. Rain will also cause visibility problems as you don't have wipers.

#8 ·
I have only had two windshields, both I looked over the shield (about 2 inches). I prefer to look over versus thru. Even with a new clear windshield it distorts more than I care for. I currently have a MS Batwing with a 9" windshield, and protects great (I am 6'). The next size would be the 12" and think I would be looking thru the edge which would be distracting. I guess it's all personal perferrence, but I still like a little bit of wind in the face.

#10 ·
I would suggest trying it both ways. Try it higher, 2-3 inches above your eyes, and try it for the 50ft mark as others have said. I would not try it in between that, it is too much of a haste.

For all you rain riders out on the road, I find it nice to have the windshield over my eyes by 2-3 inches so I can look over it if need be. This also comes in handy for wet fog, which collected on the windshield like glue the other day.

What are some home remedies for fog (shaving cream?) and rain (rainx?) on our windshields to repel this condensation? I heard rainx may not be good for the plastic on our oem windshields?

#12 ·
What are some home remedies for fog (shaving cream?) and rain (rainx?) on our windshields to repel this condensation? I heard rainx may not be good for the plastic on our oem windshields?
Since most of the windshield are a acrylic material, I would be hesitant with either (unless someone can confirm use with no damage). For anti-fog on dive masks (this will sound wierd), we use saliva (good o'l spit). Rub it on with your hand, quick rinse with water. I have gone an entire day with no fog.

#11 · (Edited)
If properly cared for, windshields will not "deteriorate". Clean them gently with only water and a soft "chamois" type rag. Don't use paper towels and don't rub hard. Let the water soften the bug splats and gently wipe them off.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that windshileds are made of acrylic which is also the material used in some window panes such as in "Florida Rooms" here in Florida and other warm climate areas. And I'm pretty sure that acrylic is used in the making of the face shields that millions of motorcyclists use.

Yet another example of "plastic" being looked through is the tens of millions of eyeglass wearers in this country (and elsewhere). Very few people choose glass for the lense material nowadays. The majority choose "plastic" CR-39 which is very similar if not identical to the material used in windshileds.

So, I don't think there is any "correct" or "incorrect" way of looking ahead. It's all a matter of preference.

#14 ·
There is one significant consideration when talking about looking over or through a windshield and I don't believe the issue is distortion.

RAIN

How does a windshield handle rain or roadspray versus a helmet. My 900 LT windshield does not shed water like my full face helmet does. Certainly speed and quantity of water are variables to consider but my helmet consistently sheds water better than my windshield.

OTOH, I am only 5-8, I cannot set the standard windshield low enough to not look through it :)

#15 ·
How does a windshield handle rain or roadspray versus a helmet. My 900 LT windshield does not shed water like my full face helmet does. Certainly speed and quantity of water are variables to consider but my helmet consistently sheds water better than my windshield.
I just think it's the curvature of a helmet shield, or glasses that shed water quickly, plus the closer your eyes are to a shield/glasses it's easier to look through or past the rain vs. a windshield (motorcycle or car).

#16 ·
The feedback on my post is wonderful. Thanks to you all for your input, as it helps me make the decision on windshield size.

HOWEVER, I am now wondering if I would be better off spending a little bit more for a batwing fairing. I know many riders on here have them and it seems you get a lot more protection from a fairing. My only concern is how high it may come up, seeing that it's opaque.

Anyone with a batwing fairing, please chime in! Windshield vs fairing

#21 ·
I have a batwing fairing on my 2005 Electra Glide Classic and I can tell you without question that the fairing does a much better job of blocking the wind and rain than even the largest windshield. Once you get used to riding behind a nice, large fairing, you get spoiled about riding behind ANY windshield....... particularly the puny ones. I'd almost rather have NO windshield as to have one of the puny ones. JMO. :)

#17 ·
The Memphis Shades batwing windshields come in 5", 7", 9", or 12", in clear, tinted, or with the bottom portion tinted. If you measure from the 12 o'clock position (~65mph on the speedo bezel) straight up, a 9" shield will be about 16" above the bezel. Since the shield doesn't sit perpendicular to the wind, a difference in the shield height won't necessarily correspond exactly to the change in apparent height while looking at it from the seat.

Other than that for the MS batwing, I don't have measurements for anything else.

#18 ·
Thanks for the measurements GB. Do you find that the fairing restricts your view of anything road-related while riding?

I am going to assume the wind protection offered is better than that of a plain windshield, but I have also read that buffeting occurs in specific spots without the fairing lowers?

#20 ·
I'm 5' 8" and with the OEM Classic LT windshield I have to look through the windshield. I wear glasses and sunglasses and have a face shield on the helmut. I'm looking through 4 layers of plastic. I found when I sat up really high and looked over the windshield it really made a difference in visibility. I ended up cutting 3 inches cut off the windshield so I could look over it sitting normally. World of difference in visibility and absolutely no increase in buffeting or any other negative effects. When I took the windshield in to the Plastics Manufacturing place to have it cut I also took in my sister's aftermarket windshield she had installed on her Honda Spirit. The guy told me my windshield was Lexan and that her's was Acrylic. He replaced her's with Lexan at no extra charge beyound the price to cut in down 2". He told me that no motorcycle windshield should be made from Acrylic as it was too brittle a material for a windshield. I guess some of the aftermarket manufacturers use Acrylic because it's cheaper. He charged my $35 to cut down the winshield and made a perfect job.

#22 ·
Glasses, sunglasses, a face shield, and a windshield!!!!!! Man, are you afraid of something hitting you in the face or something? Perhaps if you lost a couple of those intermediate layers of plastic, you wouldn't have to chop up your windshield. BTW, I wouldn't give much credence to the guy who said that acrylic windshields were too brittle. There are probably 10 million or more people who would say otherwise. :)

#24 ·
I have the 900 Clasic LT the top of the WS was right at my line of sight and was having to constantle adjust seating posture to look over or thru it and I found myself wanting to look over it more often than not and when cought in a rain looking thru it was almost impossable. I sat on the bike in riding possition and put a short piece of narrow masking tape at about the possition I wanted to look over and ride the bike around the block to give me an idea of the height after conferming I took the screen off the mike traced the top burviture of the screen on a piece of poster board and masked off the entire ws wit paper and tape and retraced the line fron the poster board back on to the taped WS and headed for my bandsawand cot off 1.5" sanded the cut edge with 180 than 220 sandpaper and remounted WS its perfect for me to just see over the top

#26 ·
Can thank y'all (yes, y'all) enough for the windshield and fairing feedback.

I love the look of a fairing but I am just a little worried it may take away too much of my view of the road, and that's something I'm too new to handle at this point. I am a confident and good driver, but for now the more I can see the better.

I think I will end up with the Memphis slim or fats, 15" height. I liked the look of the slim better on my bike, but if the fats provides better wind coverage for the body then that's what I will go with. And the black fade on the bottom of these shields just adds to the looks of the bike.

As I said earlier, I prefer a clear, open and undistorted view of the road ahead which is a good reason why I want a windshield I can see over at all times, but look through if necessary. Glad to know I'm not alone, though I understand completely why those like a windshield to look through.

Thanks again....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
I love the look of a fairing but I am just a little worried it may take away too much of my view of the road, and that's something I'm too new to handle at this point.
Unless you're really short it shouldn't be an issue. I think most people would agree that you should be seeing things long before they get that close to the front wheel anyway. If you measure the same you as you did for the windshield, the top of the fairing itself comes up about 7.5" from the top of the speedo bezel.

The camera used for this picture was mounted on top of my helmet so you get a higher POV than normal but you can still see that you should have good visibility over/around/under the fairing. I've considered sticking a GoPro mount on my helmet's chin bar right in front of my mouth so I can give a better depiction but haven't done it yet. Anyway, I have some videos on youtube, taken from the same perspective as the picture, with the camera on top of my helmet. Not perfect but should give you an idea. I have a 34" sitting height (top of my head is 34" above the floor while sitting) and the camera is roughly 4" above the top of my head.

In this picture, the camera was sitting on the passenger seat.

The fairing itself does have room for a little, very little, up/down adjustment but on the Classic it's limited by how close you can get it to the headlight. At first I worried about limiting my view but after putting it on realized it's really a non-issue. Unless you're really short, in which case it might be.

#28 ·
Graybear, you have no idea how much those views helped!! I can look at the fairing from the front of a bike all day long, but being able to see it from the driver's seat made all the difference.

Ordering my batwing fairing kit today :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

#30 ·
Has anyone fit a fairing with an oem vulcan windshield?????

#33 ·
"Strength" can be measured several different ways. For example (and a basic example it is) a piece of pipe will hold more than a solid rod before any signs of failure, BUT when a pipe fails under stress it kinks and collapses all at once. A solid rod will bend a lot before you have a catastrophic failure. Now, which one is "Stronger". The pipe because it holds more before failure, or the rod because it stays together even though it is bending.

#39 ·
It's definitely alot about preference. I tinkered alot with my OEM Classic LT WS. Raising and lowering to find the best fit. For me looking through it is no big deal. However, I have it so if I sit really straight I can peer over the top. I like this especially at night when it's raining and the car lights coming at you reflect through the water dropplets on the shield. Really hard to see. I found it to be a safety hazard and best to be able to look over the shield at these times. (Wax works really good on the shield to shed water).

Howevere, in all other circumstances, I prefer looking through it. I had another ride with a small WS. Man the wind I fought, the smack of bugs, tree leaves, pebbles. etc... was just plain not fun.

The OEM shield is an Acrylically corrected shield. I find it quite clear and offers loads of protection. IMOO I think it's really hard to predict what's coming at you. For an example, I was driving along when a farmers wagon drove past me on the other side. Next thing I knew my shield bent back towards me and then sprung forward. I couldn't believe the impact. I checked it out and still have the knick marks where it hit. From what I can tell it was some piece of mud/rock piece. I can tell you, without the shield I would have ate that thing square in the face. I can only imagine the hurt it could have inflicted had I not been protected by the shield.

I love my shield...

#42 ·
Mayorblups I noticed you have a Memphis shade fairing with a 7" shield? Curious why you want to replace it?
When I got my Memphis bat wing I originally purchased the 7 inch windshield also. I am six foot and have installed a 9" which works much better for me.

#43 ·
She started this thread before she had it. Probably around page 3 is where she said decided to get the BW instead of a shield.

#44 ·
Thanks SWVA_08V2K. I guess it pays to read through the threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.