Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Air Intake 900

8K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  tcrider 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this mod?

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k392/baitis/Vulcan 900/DSCN1356.jpg

I want to order a second duct if I do it though. I have Cobra pipes, a FI2000R and a K&N filter with the Kuryakyn air box cover. If I hadn't spent $110 on those two I'd buy a different intake, but I was hoping to do this so it wasn't money wasted.

Thanks,
B

#2 ·
I had done this to mine before I bought my intake. I understand the concept behind it, but could tell absolutely no difference. You'll get more of a noticeable difference removing your secondary throttle blades. Do a search on here for more info and pics on how to do it.

#4 ·
I did the airbox mod and am stage 2 debaffled, the one step colder plugs, and just recently installed a FI2000R. the bike runs great and is most noticeable on top end.

#5 ·
So, remove secondary throttle blades, and add a second intake?

#6 ·
So, remove secondary throttle blades, and add a second intake?
I did the same thing at first (K&N filter & Show Chrome cover). Decided a few months later to upgrade to an air intake (ArlenNess Big Sucker), also removed the secondary throttle plates (butterflies), they are located right in front as you remove the airfilter. This mod is one of the easiest to perform (there is a thread on how to do this located on this forum). My bike runs great (awesome throttle response).

#7 ·
Another winter project, thanks!!!

#8 ·
Well, it's almost winter, sorta.....

I moved the intake snorkel to the front, and left the original open as well along with removing the throttle plates. After this mod with a set of pipes any suggestions on setting for my FI2000R?

#11 ·
OK, so you used the same filter, just change the snorkel to the front... Right?
That seems pretty easy, instead of modifying the filter and box..
I'm also thinking on get a FI2000R to go with this mod and stock debafled pipes. do you recommend the tuner? I read somewhere that they are a pain to set it right, but you can't beat the price difference with a auto tune..
I was doing some research and found several different brands at different prices.
Do they have to be specifically for the 900 ?? Or you can get any and make it work? For example, the same Arlen Ness Cheap-shot fuel tuner for a Yamaha was cheaper then the one for the 900..
I apologize if I'm asking something that seems stupid, I want to make sure I get the right one for the best price..;)
Thanks for the pics...

#12 ·
I switched to the stock replacement made by K&N. I added the snorkel to the front and left the original open. I added an FI200r, but haven't driven it yet. The aftermarket intakes are model specific because of the shape of the throttle body. Most for the 900 are $200 and up.

#13 · (Edited)
OK, I already have the K&N filter, I'll move the snorkel to the front, it just makes sense...How did you attach the snorkel ?? Did you open a new slot ??
I'll keep looking for the fuel tuner. Now, will it hurt the bike moving the snorkel with out having the tuner ?? Until I buy one...
Thanks again

#14 ·
I traced and cut a new hole in the front of the air box and removed the secondary throttle plates. I'd be nervous that the bike would run too lean without a tuner if you did those mods and pipes or a debaffle.

#15 ·
I did the "poor man's ram air" mod but I blocked off the stock "hot air" intake hole to ensure cooler air. I notice it a little on the top end, but "de-screening" the stock air filter was more noticeable.

Cobra 2-1s, dobeck tuner, poor man's "ram air mod", front sw pulley.

#16 ·
ok. I just did this mod yesterday and I noticed a small change, also removed the secondary plates a couple days ago. I'm very happy with the results.. Better response, shifting is smoother, even the sound got a little throatier. I'm receiving the fuel tuner soon.
I left the original slot for the snorkel open for now. I'm a little concern about water getting inside through the snorkel facing the front now. But maybe is just me being paranoid.
I'll post pics later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.