Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

New to this forum.

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 ·
*Howdy.How is everyone doing? I am from south of Houston and I just found this forum and very thankful I did. It is very informative. Although I can't find a solution to one particular problem I am having. I know this is the introduction page but I am hoping someone can point me to the correct thread.*My 2002 Vulcan 1500c will not start. I replaced the battery about 3 months ago so I doubt that is the issue. What is happening is, in the morning I go to start it and it will continue to try to fire but all that happens is the starter will turn and cause the engine to turn but I get no spark most of the time. (changed spark plugs last month.) If I charge it it will fire and start up and not have a problem till the next morning when I have to do it all over again. Tends to happen when it is cooler than 50 degrees out. It is almost like something is draining my battery when the key is not even in it.*If anyone has any ideas or thoughts please let me know, our if you know where the thread is that can help me you would be a life saver.

#2 ·
re: new to this forum

Welcome to this forum Freedom Fighter it`s always good to have new riders on board especially with 1500`s. If you have a service manual (factory or not) you should first be sure your battery has about 13 volts, more is better, then check the charging system with a good meter. In my case I had to replace the stator once and my starting issues were over( for that case anyway). If you check your battery voltage, before you try to start it, and find that it is 12.8v or less then you probably don`t have enough charge for a start. If you charge your battery and it gets to at least 13.5v then the battery is probably ok. New batteries usually have 14.2v and 13.8 is what I call healthy less is worse.

hoping your not confused by this post,
vulcanfun

#3 ·
I am getting the clymers manual in the mail tomorrow or the next day. Tomorrow I will be changing the oil and air filter.

I have had it charging all day and once I get back home I will attempt to crank it up. More than likely it will fire and run all night till I park it when I am done. Tomorrow the battery will not have enough power to crank it up. I could simply leave it charging when I am not riding but I think there is a deeper problem that I need to resolve.
I will test the battery when I start it tonightand again in the morning to see the difference.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Welcome!

The New Member Introduction section is one way we deal with spammers, it's a necessary evil. But, it's also a fantastic way for us to get to know you!

If you post your question down in the Vulcan 1500 forum you might get more help. Good luck!

#7 ·
It still could be your battery. Have it load tested. However, go through the electrical system. see if there are any cracks in your plug wires or wiring in general. Then try things like your ignition switches. electrical gremlins are little buggers to get out.

#9 · (Edited)
Hi, Freedom Fighter, and welcome!! I love the city of Houston, I have a close cousin and her family there, love to go visit. Texas is a cool place.

If the battery is new, it is producing enough voltage and amperage to start your vehicle. If you get a result by a fresh top up charge, I would look at the starter motor. If it is worn it will draw more current. If it draws too much current, what happens is the battery must produce more voltage (to provide current demand) to cause the armature to rotate at a sufficiently high rpm to turn the motor fast enough to start. The voltage output of a battery drops as it discharges, so the heavy draw from any starter motor is going to drain it fast, and if it already is taking too much current, you got a problem even with a new battery.

That's just one place to look, I don't guarantee that solves your problem, but if you can get the starter out and take it to an auto electric rebuilder, they can bench test it for you. If you don't want to get it out, you may want to have a bike shop test it on the bike for how much current it is drawing.

#15 ·
Its the little things in life, eh? :) always good to start simple and work to complex, glad you found it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.