Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vibrates Like a Harley Now.....I think

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  sfair 
#1 ·
Have had my bike bare for a few months until a couple weeks ago. I have now put the shield and bags back on. It isn't running badly, its just that under low to mid rpm range acceleration, it seems to "thump" and vibrate way way more than it used to, more like a Harley does... Pulses pretty damn (too) hard. Not a slam to H/D at all..............but the Vn2K always felt just right, you could tell you were on a big twin, but it didn't put you off the thing.

I don't think it's my imagination, that the bike is V-twining more than it did before. I suspect it started doing it while the thing was bare but I didn't notice it. Oil is ok, Fuel processor apparently functioning well (cobra fi2000). The factory sized K&N was rather dirty, so it was cleaned thoroughly and re-oiled......no help. I have not checked the plugs yet, but....it's not missing, the damn vibration is annoying. It is not a wheel or tire, or belt......it's motor. Pulling in the clutch stops it. Higher rpm's tame it some, 75-100 it buzzes a bit more than it used to, but manageable, not like 40-65 constant speed, or as stated, acceleration in the "torque" band.

Anyone else...................thanks

#3 · (Edited)
V2k and Softail hardleys,, these BIG Vtwins have dual counter balancers to offset the horrendous primary vibration they otherwise would make. Because of the balancers, these motors are also ridgid mounted in their frames, thus the motor becomes part of the integrity of the frame and help Ridgid up the entire ride
Where as some hardley motors are not counter-balanced (Dynas and FLH-Tour series) are heavily rubber mounted and shake like the dickens at idle, but smooth out above idle.

Anyway, from what you are describing is as though the Counter Weights (chain driven) are no longer in sync with the crank/piston movements to offer their counter balancing effect. How thats possible. dunno? but that is what your describing. ponchout

sorry just read,, pulling in the clutch stops it.. is key.. what changes when you pull in the clutch.
the motor is still spinning, so its not the motor inducing the vibration.
the primary drive, chain and clutch basket is still spinning.. it aint them.
The clutch plates may be worn unevenly causing this..
or your tranny may be telling you something is amiss and is 'bout to blow its cookies..
I'd be gettin down on the clutch and tranny b4 doing anymore serious riding.

#4 ·
Ponch,

at whatever speed I am at, pulling in the clutch stops all the vibration. It only does it under low to mid range acceleration, ALSO pretty noticeable at 60-65 mph. At speeds above 70 or around 3k rpm it settles down.

I was hoping it wouldn't be a counter balance issue, since it mellows out at higher speeds. I tried to believe it was all in my imagination....but it's not.

I currently only ride about 7 miles each way to work, so I won't be too in trouble if it breaks. Gonna keep riding it and see what happens

thanks

#5 ·
Not a good idea. It's like if your brakes on your car wear down to the rotor but you say to yourself, I'll just keep on driving my car until this noise stops, which it will eventually but you will have cost yourself a lot more money than if you had had it fixed earlier. Am I breakin through the haze yet???

#9 ·
I'm not in a haze thanks.

At some point I will find the problem and fix it. I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem, and if so, what it was.

I have seen guys do (exploratory surgery) repairs on bikes, cars, tractors, whatever.........and spent big $$$$ and still not find the exact problem until it breaks, and they have wasted all the down time and money anyway. I don't ride all that much anyway, but I'll have to, to be able to figure out the problem.

For the most part I have no confidence in dealers/mechanics in diagnosing and fixing stuff like this

#7 ·
vibration problems are often caused by loose engine mounts.the vn is solid mounted so loose mounts would cause vibration.putting the screen back on would make this more noticeable.screens almost always seem to make bikes mechanically noisier and vibrations more noticeable.check all the engine,exhaust and bag mounts.does the motor vibrate more stationary? it might pay to check the front pulley nut as that could cause vibes on the move.

#12 ·
I had the also vibtration problems.
It urn out to be the front pully, with came lose.
The dealer replaced the shaft and pully, un warrenty, and now it rides like a new bike.

Grz. Metric Cruiser
(Netherlands)

Mike, check your front pulley and spline, More than one person has had a problem with them.

It's really easy to access, Just a few bolt-on's cover it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.