Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

update on Exedra Max's

5K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Pearhead 
#1 ·
Have thus far put on 1800 miles on the new pair.
Handling and ride are great, though hands get numb often, could just be front tire pressure.
The rear started with 8/32 of tread in the center most grooves, it is now at 6/32.
On the Battle Axes I was able to get 7900 miles on the rear.:eek:
It appears that I may do no better with the Exedra Max's, if I have used up 2/32 in 1800 miles.:(
I do however still have my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

Will update more as the miles disappear behind me.......

#4 ·
Unless you change driving style I have found little difference in tire life.
I agree. When I got them, a lot of requests were made for an opinion.
Which is there seems so far to really be no "WOW" difference.

But who knows, still got 6,000 miles to go for a real comparison..:rolleyes:

#3 ·
I got 10k out of the battle axe and 10k out of the metz 880, now on my third tire which is an Exedra so lets see what happens. I paid a lot less for the exedra so if it lasts about the same ill stick with them. They seem to handle just fine. I dont know why your hands went numb but its got nothing to do with the tires unless they are not balanced right and your getting some kind of vibration. Mine are fine. I use a throttle boss on long rides, works great and gives your hand a nice break. I also still use the oem grips.

#5 ·
hey Mac, I too still use the oem grips.
and getting the balance checked next week. and it does seem to vibrate alittle more. hopefully it is a balance issue.

but all in all i am satisfied. and as you stated, the price for them is right...:D

#7 ·
Im gonna be upset if i dont 25k miles on my tire.... hehe

#8 · (Edited)
So I now have 6360 miles on the set of Exedra Max's.
The numbing of the hands is still there, even after zeroing out on balance.
Must just be from a difference in compound and feeling the road more.
Irreguardless, the overall performance of both tires has been excellent and they run very quite.
While travelling along the Oregon coast (of course in the rain), with standing
water on the road, grip was secure enough to scrap footboards while 2up on multiple occasions.
As the pictures show, I will get more miles out of these tires than the Battleaxes:D. currently have 2/32 tread in the center.
I should easily get 2,000 more out of the rear.
I am still going darkside when this rear wears out, but overall the Exedra Max is an excellent tire at any price.

Attachments

#10 ·
Darkdsider!!!!

Hey Pearhead. I have just put about 1,500 miles Darkside on my 2007 V2K Classic and it looks Brand new!! I got caught in the rain the other day for the first time and it shreds through the water and stops awesome on wet pavement, really was impressive. I run a Nitto NT450 HP 225/50/r16 vrated tire, one of our forum guys up the road from me has 20,000 on his and expects 10,000 more. Good luck on the Darkside, I have found 32psi the sweeet spot for solo riding and 34psi for 2up, really is an awesome ride and my ultraclassic fiends are jealous!!!

Attachments

#16 ·
Running 36 front and 42 rear on my Commander IIs.

#17 ·
So, as I come to the end of the riding season here in northern Nevada, this will be the last I post on these tires...:(
I so far have only been able to put a total of 7,700 miles on the Exedra Max's.
As the pictures show,
the front still has lots of life left, I would estimate at least another 5,000 miles. Compared to the original Battle Axe that was very worn and cupped at 7,800 miles.
The rear tire, I believe I will get more than another 1,000 miles out of, which will give me close to 9,000 miles total. Which is very good.:D. Compared to the Battle Axe which was showing cord at the same 7,800 miles as the front.

All in all, I have nothing but praise for the Exeda Max's...:)

Info on my ridding habits and style.: 95% 2up, not afraid to use throttle (actually like it, love sound of XXX intake and Freedom pipes), when on trips over 50lbs loaded on bike along with 2up, most ridding is mountians (up and down ), and freeway is 75 +.

As I stated in my prior post, I will be trying Darkside when I change rear tire this next spring.
If I find a CT is not for me, I will diffenently be buying an Exeda Max again..

And Dadinator, I would be interested to know how the Exeda's are doing for you...

Attachments

#18 ·
And Dadinator, I would be interested to know how the Exeda's are doing for you...
Well...
They have about 4K on them and are starting to look rough.
I would estimate I'll get about 6K or a little more out of them.
No better than anything else, but not worse either.

I pulled a trailer for 2500 miles around lake superior this summer. That always hurts them.

Front looks fine.

They seem good for the money, but I still like the feel of the Avon Cobra's the best.

They are more expensive, though. I'll probably put another Excedra on the rear next year to match the front. When they wear out, I may go back to Cobra. Don't know for sure. We'll see how the next one holds up.

#19 · (Edited)
I have 6k on my Exedra Max's and the front is still like new and the rear is at about 50% still looks real good. I basically ride single, only two up about two or three times this year and goose it once in a while. Average highway speed about 75mph, no burn outs. Ill see if I can take a pic but these tires have lasted much longer then my last set which was the Metz ME880's. I keep close eye on tire pressure, keep rear at 42 and front at 40.

#21 · (Edited)
UscgMac,

I never do burn outs. Tires don't last long enough as it is. Though I do enjoy the 141 lbs-ft of torque. :D

I also am pretty religious about the pressures and keep them the same as you.

However, I rarely do interstate. I stick to state 2 laners as much as possible. The less straight they are, the more I like it.

99% 2 up.
At least 2K per rear tire pulling a trailer.

These factors are the difference and why they say mileage may vary, I guess. :rolleyes:

The Excedra Max tires seem to wear no worse than any others I have had. They may be a tad better, it's hard to say. However, they are much cheaper.

I do like the handling of the Cobra's the best.

I would LOVE to ride someones V2K with a CT to see how it feels. (hint hint);)

#22 ·
Nice mileage Mac.
2 up is obviously harder on them, comparing your pics to mine..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.