Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Miscellaneous Dyno Runs

5K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  RACNRAY 
#1 · (Edited)
Had a little time today to post this info that I have been wanting to for awhile.

First graph shows the power of two Vaquero's and a 2012 Street Glide we just did a few weeks ago. All engines are 1700cc. The Vulcans's have the Big 3, slip-ons, BAK and PCV. The blue run has V&H s/ons & a Thunder round BAK, the red run has Cobra s/ons and a Chuckster BAK.
The Street Glide has a PM/RSD BAK, a complete True Dual Exhaust and the PCV and is the green run.
This graph shows the advantage engines with four valve heads have over engines with two-valve heads.

The vertical black line is a floating cursor that is displaying power at 3000rpm so you can see the difference there. Peak power for the blue Vaq is 81.74, the red Vaq is 80.83 and the S/G is 77.36 H.P.

Here is the torque graph for the same skoots...

Peak torque for the blue Vaq is 100.8, 98.59 for the red Vaq and 94.08 for the S/G.

RACNRAY

See less See more
#2 ·
I as many of you Vulcan 1700 owners have noticed a very noticeable power loss when the temp gauge needle gets way up there. The power loss is very noticeable whan taking off, poor acceleration till the needle drops down. I wanted to document on my dyno what was happening to see if it matches what we feel, so here it is...

Kawi is retarding the ignition timing when the coolant temp gets up there to theoretically reduce the chance of pinging when the engine is hot.

RACNRAY

#4 ·
Sad looking performance curves after spending many hundreds of dollars on the big 3. I guess it is what it is. What is the performance curve for a stock bike with 30,000 miles on it?

#8 ·
Our first Classic on the CRT Dyno

Did this a few weeks ago, a Classic with a Thunder BAK with the stock air box cover, Thunder intake gasket, Cobra full exhaust and fuel only PCV, the dyno tuning was done in the "advanced mode" so each cylinder could be mapped individually.

Nice gains but a few things I notice.

First, peak torque and H.P. occur at a lower rpm as compared to the Vaqueros/Nomads I have had on my dyno. Peak torque occurs at around 2600-2800 rpm vs 3000-3300 rpm for the others.

Peak H.P. occurs at about 4600 rpm vs 5000-5200 rpm for the others .

After the rpm where peak H.P. is produced there is a pronounced drop off of the power not typical of the Voyager/Vaquero/Nomads. We see this on the sportbikes and is usually indicative of the need to meet noise standards. Noise testing is performed at half the rpm where peak power is produced. The lower the rpm where the peak is the lower rpm where the noise testing is performed. Maybe due to the Classic's exhaust being entirely on one side of the skoot prolly has the biggest influence on getting the Classic to meet the sound regs. I checked part nmbrs for cams, cam sprockets and between all 4 models are the same. Throttle body part nmbrs are different but all are 42 mm so those won't be a factor.

More than likely Kawi has severely retarded the ignition timing starting at around the 4600 rpm, this is exactly how Honda does on the CBR1000RR's, unfortunately due to this PCV being "fuel only" I did not have the opportunity to play with timing.

Still nice sound and good gain in performance.

RACNRAY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.