Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How well does the Vaquero fairing work?

11K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  bikesrfun 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I love the Vaquero and thinking about buying one, but can't get a test ride where I live.

I test rode a Harley Streetglide and HATED the helmet buffeting the fairing caused at any speed above 60mph (even with an 8" recurve shield). Just wondering if the Vaquero's fairing caused any helmet buffeting also??

I have ridden without a windshield for 15 years so wind doesn't bother me, but for those that understand what "buffeting" actually is they will know exactly what I mean - the kind of turbulence that shakes your head around and is really annoying.

Thanks for sharing any experience.

#2 ·
yep you will get buffeted..........11" cee baileys windshield cured that. could have got by with a 9"windshield but with the 11"er with the cruise set at 60 i can light a smoke.

#3 ·
I bought the 6.5" deflector shield for my Voyager before the Vaquero was announced and since they share the same fairing my experience is similar. It is great up to about 50 mph. Above that you really need a taller shield.

There are several manufacturers who make shields for the Voyager/Vaquero. Pick you height, color, maker, and go ride.

In the summer I travel with a 14" dark tint Rifle shield. When I get to a destination where I am going to do slower riding to explore the area I swap out shiels for the 6.5". I leave the 14" in the hotel. The 6.5" fits in one of the saddle bags very well without limiting the luggage I can carry.

Here is the 14" Rifle shield in dark tint.

and here is the bike with the deflector.

#6 ·
I bought the 6.5" deflector shield for my Voyager before the Vaquero was announced and since they share the same fairing my experience is similar. It is great up to about 50 mph. Above that you really need a taller shield.

There are several manufacturers who make shields for the Voyager/Vaquero. Pick you height, color, maker, and go ride.

In the summer I travel with a 14" dark tint Rifle shield. When I get to a destination where I am going to do slower riding to explore the area I swap out shiels for the 6.5". I leave the 14" in the hotel. The 6.5" fits in one of the saddle bags very well without limiting the luggage I can carry.

Here is the 14" Rifle shield in dark tint.
Hey I want to get the 14 inch but can't deside between light & dark gray.
Do you regret getting the dark gray?

#9 ·
This shield doesn't effect night riding at all. That's the reason I ordered a -4 inch, so I would be looking over it. I think it looks great and works great.:D

#11 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Hey twowheeladdict, what are those sport bikes doing riding up your butt?

I was at the dragon with my 11 year old on our 1600. Thought I was carving it up until I heard two dudes take off on gixxers at what must have been 10,000 rpm. Whoooosh. A young man's game!!!

BTW, getting there from IL, was very cool on a 1600 - even more comfortable on a voyager like yours. Once there though ......

#14 ·
Do the rifles fit the Vaquero as well as the Voyager? They only list Voyagers on the website but I believe they are the same. I have a 9in Cee Baileys now. When I measured for that it was a tad on the short side but I didn't want to go up to 11 in. I recently added a gel tour seat that sits me up considerably higher, when I measure according to cee baileys instructions it comes right at 12 in so I'm thinking of going with the -6 rifle.

#16 ·
Rifle windshield height for Vaquero

Thank you all for pointing me in the direction of Rifle, seems about the same price as the last Memphis Shades plastic I bought. Will I need a mount kit?...I have been looking at Baggershield...but I think it will either be far to low, or far too high....I like the stock screen on the vaq....but I'm not too keen on the tinted/clear look of the baggershield when flipped up. Seems to me like a 12" shield would be too high. I'm 5'10 and short in the leg...Tried to measure (cee bailey or Rifle method, seems like 9 or 9.5" would be between my chin and upper lip...but not if I get the mustang seat I have been looking at....It's difficult to hear the stero after about 45mph due to buffeting on my ears...and I ride as long as there isn't ice or snow on the ground...so need more protection. Used to ride a honda where I looked through the screen, but it would fog up. I would like to get it around my nose area when I am slouched on the highway...that way if I get into traffic or some iffy pavement, I can sit up and see down in front...anyone have any advice? 29" inseam...so I figure I am about as tall in the saddle as a 5'11 or 6' rider

#17 ·
I still think Cee Bailey's 11" would work for you based on your size statistics. You could see over it slightly and not get any wind buffeting. I sit a little shorter and the 9" works for me. The Cee Bailey may cost a little more, but I really think their quality is tops. I hear that Cee Bailey may custom cut one to a height you desire, like a 10" if you call them and work out cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.