Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Dobeck TFI

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Busboy 
#1 ·
Installed the Dobeck TFI yesterday, and it was easier than I was expecting. Noticed that I got a smoother throttle response, but not so much MORE throttle response. Didn't get any pings either, but perhaps testing on a 70 degree night with 30 mph wind gusts isn't ideal? LOL That was the main reason for the install, to correct the mild ping/knock on hotter rides.

Was expecting a bigger difference in roll on power, but would say if there was any, it wasn't much. That was a little disappointing. Acceleration was smoother and didn't sound as strained though. Perhaps once I combine it with Chuckster's air intake next Spring it will make a "seat of pants" difference.

Did notice that the exhaust note seemed to change for the better? Seemed a tad deeper...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#2 ·
Pretzel, I've noticed that you don't have an air filter mod, so adding the TFI wouldn't be beneficial as just having those V&H duals fitted. That would be why the performance isn't is you were hoping for.
I've added a set of Cobras to my Classic and had an O2sensor fitted to check the mixtures and throughout the rev range it showed that the mixtures were ideal. I've now added a Chucksters air filter mod along with a TFI and will be doing some tuning hopefully soon. May even do some tuning with the quiet cores in also.

#3 ·
On the contrary, the 1600 runs notoriously lean from the factory, and I had been getting some pinging under throttle after the engine was good and warm. I've noticed, now, that there is no more pinging and that the throttle pull is much more even (consistent) with a little more oomph than before.

As far as the throttle response, I can feel some, just not as much as I'd hoped from other testimonials. BUT... I'm hoping to add Chuckster's intake this spring to increase it even more!

#4 ·
Actually Pretzel, I've checked the mixture on my bike when I changed my pipes over to the Cobra longs as I fitted an O2 sensor in the rear pipe and the readings I got were that the mixture with that setup was running just a touch under the good mixture setting (slightly lean) but not excessively lean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.