Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Darkside

17K views 109 replies 26 participants last post by  Scott_in_TX 
#1 ·
Yay, got me a tire, FINALLY! Went with a Riken Raptor 225/50R16 V-Rated Ultra-High Performance All-Season tire from Sears. Found one on clearance. Original price $125, got this one for $30!!!!!!!! (only because they were "trying to get rid of the one extra one" they had left) Pics coming when I get it put on.

#4 ·
1+
will also be going Darkside.
leaning towards Federals SS595.

#12 ·
Wish

I wish I could get a 205 for my Strat but I have to run a 215.
I run a 205 on my old Valk & like it.
I don't like the handling going too wide.
Slows the steering.

JJ

#14 ·
Because the only 205 ones that are available are much smaller circles than stock and make the bike rev more & scrape more.
So my 215/55 is the same as stock circle. Stock tire is a 190/60-17

JJ

#15 ·
2-up Success!!!!

OK, with no trimming, or any other modifications necessary, my wife and I have ridden two-up with this tire on, and nothing rubbed, at all. I am about 165, and she is just over 200. My suspension is tightened all the way, but I've had it that way since day one, anyways. Well, happy trails!!!

#17 ·
ok every one i have considered going to the dark side on my 09 900 and have a few questions. hows the cornering? i like to corner as fast as my bike can with out scrapping or maybe just a little. is fuel economy affected or acceleration? next would be whats the best size and tire for me, i live in Washington state and ride in the rain all the time so thats a big concern for me but also a reason on why i want to change. any info is appreciated

#18 ·
mad i have 1700 miles on my ct. dry cornering there is no difference, wet streets mean i very conservative. the bike does move around more when cambers of the street slant this way and that... 25% of my mc tire would be gone now...no wear is noticed on ct. when you go ds you will play with the pressures... be safe have fun

#19 ·
tire life and increased rear breaking power is my biggest reason to swap. i have plenty of life on my current mc tire but when i do replace it i want as much info as possible. i replace my tires at least once a year so not replacing my rear will be a hug money saver. is there any difference when cornering?

#20 ·
Without getting on a soapbox I suggest you very carefully check how well your bike stops with a car tire on it before you put too much faith in it. I found in my own situation that my car tire skidded much easier than a MC tire did, causing a longer stopping distance, so I had to quickly learn to leave myself more room to stop than before.

I'm just saying, check it out or you might possibly regret the results you get.
Question everything, it's your health and well being at risk.

#21 ·
Without getting on a soapbox I suggest you very carefully check how well your bike stops with a car tire on it before you put too much faith in it. I found in my own situation that my car tire skidded much easier than a MC tire did, causing a longer stopping distance, so I had to quickly learn to leave myself more room to stop than before.

I'm just saying, check it out or you might possibly regret the results you get.
Question everything, it's your health and well being at risk.
I agree with CP59. I think with the MT, there is more rubber touching the ground at any one time which makes the force to the ground per square inch of tire , less !! You will catch yourself barking tires on quick accelleration and on quick stopping. I've put many miles in the rain riding 2up on my Goodyear Triple Tread and have never had it break loose in the rain. I have broke it loose when nailing the brakes coming to a stop on dry pavement. If you go darkside, it might be a good idea to find a large parking lot and see what your limitations are. Also, coming to a stop on uneven pavement, now that will wake you up!!! I still wouldn't go back to a MT. I have approx. 5000 miles on mine and it still looks brand new. On a MT I would be buying a new one about now. I run 32 LBS. air.

#23 ·
I also do not agree with some of the above statements. 10000 + miles on my ct and find absolutely it has more traction on the fly and on braking. Also when you get the pressure sweet spot you will have more ground contact even in curves. Sounds like to much pressure if problems are being experenced. I run 26-28 in my ct and drag floor boards often w/o problems unless my wife pounds my head when she hears them drag.

#25 ·
No Problem stopping this morning!!

Please read my post on almost getting killed by a donkey this morning, I had to brake down hard not to hit my friends truck and it was solid!! I have 8,000 miles on my Nitto and still looks brand new... to each his own, home of the brave and land of the free to choose!!!!!

#26 ·
Alright flame suit on,
I did not post this to start a pissing contest, everybody has their own rules and their own beliefs, you do as you please. I have run a Goodyear triple tread on my bike for over 15,000 miles without any problems. I know what I am talking about in regards to my bike with the Goodyear triple tread on, your results may vary. I did not have the wrong air pressure in my tire, I had the tire inflated to the proper air pressure that it needed to support my bike.

I made the post that I did to give anybody that wants to put a car tire on their bike fair warning to check it out before they put too much faith in it. If you do not agree with anything I said, that is fine that's your prerogative, but don't post it as gospel. I reiterate when you put a car tire on your motorcycle check its' performance before you put very much faith in it.

#30 ·
After having my V2k a year and changing the tire twice (the one on it when I got it was worn, but not gone), I'm pretty sure I'm going with a CT next time. I can get used to a lot of things, so it would have to be pretty bad for me to hate it.

Anyway, my question is this: If (Heaven forbid) I were in an accident, would my insurance try to deny any claim if I'm using a car tire?

#31 ·
Safety

The "other" benefits that I like are price,more tires to choose from,and a more comfortable and quieter ride.
The "little" bumps are soaked up.
You also are less likely to get a flat that strands you {although I have} and it's easier/safer to plug a big 'ole car tire.
If you are on the road it is also much easier to find a tire that will fit your bike.

JJ

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.