Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Exhaust Pipes Seal Question

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 · (Edited)
On my HD's in the past I have used PermaTex High-Temp Sealant around the area where the exhaust pipes fit into the head to seal them.

Since the newly acquired VN800 Classic I now own has aluminum ring gasket type seals that fit around the mouth of the pipe and fit into the recessed area on each head does anyone think it a good idea to use a little PermaTex High-Temp there to help seal the rings and pipes better?

#4 ·
Exactly, Dave. That's how I've done it with my HD's in the past and some HD mechs even say to do that. Just wanted to know about this with Vulcans since it doesn't need much to hold and seal there. The Ultra Black is what I've used in the past just like you said. Will test it out with new gaskets and see what happens with the Vulcan. I'm not slathering it on in excess and just using a little to hold the ring in place and seal where it mounts flush. Not putting it on flush mounting surfaces either just around the ring.

#7 · (Edited)
It's not so much a "need" for it but to ensure that it seals extremely well. Again, it's not like caking and slathering it on like a corner prostitute does her makeup during Mardis Gras. Just a very small amount to ensure that the mating surfaces seal completely. I also have Cobra Slashcuts but like I always say to each his own. I just don't like leaks anywhere whether fuel, water, exhaust, oil, brake fluid. It's a habit I picked up from my HD's so you know how that is with a rider's habits. Haha. For sure we all can quickly swear by our own habits and then turn around and swear just as fast at cagers who cut us off and endanger us every time we ride. I once heard an old guy say, I swear I ride faster because of my long hair even though California has helmet laws. Dude was bald everywhere except the sides of his head. Hilarious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.