Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gas leak messing up my paint job!

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  SWVA_08V2k 
#1 ·
2006 Vulcan 1500 classic: Every time I gas up I try to not go over 3 gallons because my gas cap is defective and it leaks. Doesn't leak bad but my paint around the gas cap has started to chip. Is there an easy fix like replacing the gasket/seal or do I have to replace the entire cap. Thnx for your help!

#3 · (Edited)
is it leaking around the seal of the cap and the mount on the tank, or is it leaking between the tank and the mount.

I had a Honda that leaked around the cap and the mounting plate. I just cut a second gasket out of neoprene and placed on the cap and it fixed it. If it is around the mount and the cap I would remove it and lay down some black RTV and reinstall. The black RTV is solvent resistant.

FYI that post is over a year old and the OP only has one post. I doubt you will be hearing from him.

#6 ·
-[-I-M-G-]http://________ [-/-I-M-G-]

Just take out the dashes. Also there is a button at the top of the reply window that is yellow and looks like it has a mountain and sun on it.

This method will work if the image is loaded up online (such as this site, fliker, or any other photo share site). Just go to you image and right click, Then hit copy image location, then past it in either the image tag with out the dashes at the top of this message.

If the image is on your PC then you will have to hit the "Go Advanced" button and then use the button at the top of the message window that has a paper clip on it and upload it from there.

Also Kawasaki's web site has parts lists and illustrations along with other sites such as bikebandit or cheapcycleparts.

Also there should be an o-ring that seals around the cap also that is part of the tank vent. I think it is in the lower right hand corner with the cap shut. Check that o-ring to see if it is seated correctly, missing, broke.

Try this link. http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2006-kawasaki-vulcan-1500-classic-vn1500t/o/m149080#sch441923

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.