Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1700 Accessories

210K views 204 replies 74 participants last post by  MEGATRON 
#1 · (Edited)
NEW LIST AT END OF THREAD

* = Review/Impressions in this thread or linked to from this thread.

New lists and items will just be added onto the end of this thread, as there's a limit to the amount of text that you can add to any one particular post.

#2 ·
#5 ·
#27 ·
rear tail light accessory

some of you Voyager owners might be interested in this. take a look at this spoiler / tail light offer by kuryakyn. http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/3893/LED-Run-Turn-Brake-Spoiler
it fits the Ultra Tour Pak on top of the trunk lid behind the luggage rack.
BUT !!! it also fits under the trunk of the Voyager like it was made for it. installation was fairly easy (about an hour) and the wiring was even easier. 5 wires that run right under the trunk to the right side of the battery and tie in to the harness. all L.E.D. including amber turn signals built in. i am very happy with the outcome. let me know what ya think.

Sienna V

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
I loved my Corbin on my last bike.Right now they don't offer one for the 1700 classic. On their website under freebies it has a list of motorcycles that they want to make molds of and the 1700 is one of them. It says if you let them use your bike to make a mold they will give you a seat for your bike for free. If I lived in Ca I would gladly be the guinea pig. Here is the link:

http://www.corbin.com/free_gear.shtml

#20 · (Edited)
Edge Brackets + Saddlemen Bags

I bought the Edge Bracket saddlebag mounting system because I wanted to be able to easily switch between bags on (commuting) and bags off (free riding) modes.

The installation was straight-forward. I was able to do it alone, although it would certainly be faster if you had another set of hands to hold the bags on the bike to determine where you want them. To do it alone, I enlisted the help of a good roll of duct tape. The only bag that you need to fit is the right/brake side bag. Once that's done, you can just put the two bags back-to-back and use the first as a template for the second (for drilling the bags).

The second finicky part was shimming the fender bolts so that the brackets would slide onto them easily. The kit includes washers so that you can add as many as is necessary to get the brackets to slide on and off of the bolts easily.

My biggest warning about the system is that there are two different kits, depending on whether or not you have a passenger backrest installed. I don't have one and don't plan on installing one, so I got the "basic" kit, but I could see this being an issue for people who don't have a backrest but would like to keep that as an option down the road. Presumably the kit for bikes with backrests would also work on bikes without backrests, but I'm not sure.

For those wondering if the large bracket works with the saddlemen bags with shock cutout, I can say that yes, they do fit well enough (see photos, below), but that there is a bit of overlap with the rear seam and the brackets are not sitting flush with the back of the bags along their entire length. Will this be an issue? Probably. I just don't know how soon it will manifest. The shock cutout does allow easy access to the adjusters on the shocks without requiring you to remove the bags.

The bags are "Saddlemen Drifter Teardrop Saddlebags with Shock Cutaway" universal saddlebags. I like them because of their shape/style, quick-open buckle, top carry handles and the shock cutout. I think the styling complements the 1700's lines. I can't comment on durability, yet. The bags also come with their own mounting hardware as well as a yoke so you have a couple of other options for mounting them to the bike if you decide not to get a quick-release bracket system.

My ratings of the Easy Bracket system are as follows:

-Ease of Installation: 4/5
-Appearance: 4/5
-Quality: 4.5/5
-Price: 5/5
-Durability: N/A (still waiting for the snow to melt)
-Would I Buy Them Again? Yes

I've attached some photos showing the brackets installed on the bags, the replacement fender bolts installed on the bike, and the bags installed (a few angles).

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Kawasaki Engine Guards (OEM)

The first accessory that I installed was the Kawasaki engine guards. The choice was between those and the Cobra Fatty Freeway bars. I went with the OEM bars because (1) price-wise there wasn't much difference; (2) I had Cobra guards on a previous bike and there were issues with the finish as well as the fit; (3) OEM guards are two-piece vs one-piece Cobra guards.

These guards were easy to install. My only complaint is that their shape (square-ish when viewed head-on) isn't as nice as the Cobra guards (more rounded look with tapering to them).

-Ease of Installation: 5/5
-Appearance: 4/5
-Quality: 5/5
-Price: 5/5
-Durability: N/A

Attached are photos showing the guards from a few different angles.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Kawasaki Light Bar (OEM)

The last accessory that I installed was the Kawasaki Light Bar. This time the choice was between the Cobra unit and the OEM unit. Again, I went with the OEM because from photos the lenses looked to be of higher quality and I like the shape of the OEM unit.

The installation was easy, but took longer than the estimation given in the instructions because of a quality control issue -- one of the turn signals was loose so I had to take it off and re-install it (very simple, but an extra step, nonetheless). Installation requires splicing two wires together using a quick-connect. In the past I've been leery of such connectors, preferring to just solder the wires together, but this time around I went with the quick-connect.

I am impressed with the finishing of the light bar and with the brightness of the lights.

-Ease of Installation: 5/5
-Appearance: 5/5
-Quality: 5/5
-Price: 3/5
-Durability: N/A

Below are photos of the light bar, installed on my bike, from a few different angles.

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
Please add your own reviews/impressions of equipment that you have installed on your bikes. I think that would add more utility to this thread.

Photos aren't necessary, but would be helpful, as would specifications, installation tips/tricks, etc. where not otherwise available. I posted a bunch of photos because when I was trying to decide what accessories I wanted to purchase for my bike I wished that there were more photos, specs, etc. available online.

Thanks.

#24 · (Edited)

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
LAST UPDATE: APRIL 5, 2011 (Brake Reservoir Cover)

OEM (Kawasaki.com)
-Audio (iPod, XM Radio, Rear Speakers)*
-Windshields (Standard & Quick Release); nb: quick-release incompatible with OEM lowers
-Light Bar*
-Engine Guard*
-Back Rests and Racks
-Saddlebags, Luggage and Saddlebag Trim
-Seats
-Floorboards and Footpegs
-Chrome & Other Trim and Accents (Handlebar Clamps, Engine Side Cover Trim, Speedometer Visor, Brake Caliper Accents, Fender Trim) (See Bigmacbkr's impressions)*
-Electrical Accessories (eg. Accessory Power Socket)
-Brackets (GPS, Phone)
-Covers
-Mini Pump For Air Shocks

BACKRESTS (DRIVER AND PASSENGER)
-Grasshopper Limited
-Cobra USA
-Ultimate Seats Backrests
-Utopia Products Backrest

DRESS-UP BITS
-Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
-Chrome World Front Axle Plug
-Cobra USA license plate frame, oil dipstick
-Fender Tips (Front and Rear) (Available from Value Accessories; Front; Rear)
-Speedometer Cowl
-Voyager Fork Bullets, Fork Air Deflector, Windshield Trim, Radiator Cover, Driver Backrest, Heelrest, Saddlebag and Topcase Trims (Available from Phat Performance Parts)
-Nomad Fairing, Fork Bullets, Fork Air Deflector, Windshield, Radiator Cover, Driver Backrest, Heelrest, Passenger Floorboard, Passenger Backrest, Luggage Rack, Saddlebag Trim

ENGINE/CRASH GUARDS
-Cobra USA Fatty Freeway Bar

ENGINE/CRASH GUARD CHAPS
-Desert Dawgs Engine Guard Chaps (Nomad)
-Sage Brush Engine Guard Chaps (Nomad, Classic w/ OEM Guards)
-AirLite Motorcycle Engine Guard Chaps (Nomad)

EXHAUST
-Cobra USA, (Slip-On, Dragster, Speedster Long/Short/Slashdown, Tri-Oval, Scalloped)(Impressions, Video From Johnasara) *
-D&D Slip-On Exhaust (Nomad, Voyager)
-Vance and Hines Big Shots

FAIRINGS
-Hoppe Industries
-Memphis Shades (See Lifecast's Review)*
-Premeux
-Tsukayu

FLOORBOARDS & PEGS
-Chrome OEM Floorboard Covers (Product Number)(Purchase)
-Kuryakyn (requires additional purchase of splined adaptor for VN1700)
-Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
-Kuryakyn Brake Pedal Pad
-Marvellas

FUEL PROCESSORS
-Dynojet Power Commander V (PCV From Indy Superbikes)
-Power Commander V Autotune Kit (Nb: In software, turn off the Rev Extender)
-Electronic Jet Kit
-FI2000

HITCHES AND TOWING
-MCHitch
-Marvellas

INTAKE-RELATED
-K&N Air Filter
-Thunder Mfg Air Intake Kits and Big Air Kit

LIGHT BARS/DRIVING LIGHTS, OTHER LIGHTING
-Cobra USA
-Custom World International
-Kuryakyn LED Run-Turn-Brake Spoiler*

MISCELLANEOUS
-Cup Holder, Trunk Extender (Marvellas)

RACKS (REAR, TRUNK AND SADDLEBAG)
-Irons in the Fire
-Star Accessories Trunk Rack (Perfect Fit for Voyager Trunk)
-Cooler/Luggage Rack (Marvellas)

RADIATOR COVERS
-CWI VN2000 Rad Cover (Perfect Fit for VN1700)
-Irate Customs Rad Covers

SADDLEBAG BRACKETS (QUICK-RELEASE)
-Edge Saddlebag Brackets (Formerly Known as Ghost Brackets)*
-Easy Brackets (Not available; still looking for a bike to use as a model for new brackets)

SADDLEBAG SYSTEMS (Universal Bags + Custom-Fit Brackets)
-Klicbag
-US Saddlebag Company (Kit not listed on website, but is available if you phone/email)

SEATS, SEAT COVERS, BACKRESTS
-Corbin Seats (Voyager, Nomad)
-Mustang Motorycle Seats
-Russel Cycle Products (Day-Long Seats)
-Ultimate Seats (Nomad, Voyager)

TOOLS, UTILITIES
-Oil Temp + Level Gauge

WINDSHIELDS
-Rifle Soloshield
-Memphis Shades (Shields will only mount using Trigger-Lock system; This is new information from Memphis Shades; awaiting member confirmation)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.