Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2003 1500 Nomad or 2002 Victory TC92V???

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  KahWahSahKey 
#1 ·
Sadly, my 2006 1500 Classic has an intermittent electrical problem that no one can seem to track down & I'm tired of dealing with it. The bike is going to go on Craigslist & someone who has more time & know how can get themselves a deal.

Anyway, I did some looking online & two bikes have jumped out at me. Both can be had for $3500 so I'm trying to decide which.

2003 1500 Nomad. Bike looks exceptionally clean & has a lot of extras (also has new front & rear tires), but clocks in at 49k miles. Owner says the bike runs fantastic & he's only selling because he has some bills to pay. I like the cast wheels but I'm not crazy about the color. But I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Pic below (not sure why he had his old lady stand in front of the bike, but whatever).

2002 Victory TC92V. Bike looks used, but has very low miles...only 8,500! It looks like the stock bike to me, but I don't know a lot about Victory motorcycles. I know it's air & oil cooled, which doesn't thrill me, but it works for a lot of folks here in FL. Not a fan of the spoked wheels, but other than that I like the overall look of the bike.

Pic below

So for the same money, based on what you can see & what I've shared, which seems like the better deal? I've not seen either in person yet. Will be seeing the Victory tomorrow and the Nomad on Thursday...unless the mechanic can officially resolve the electrical issue tomorrow. I have my doubts though, but not due to his ability. Just because this issue has been going on since May and no one can seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
Would have mo real problem with the Vulcan due to the milage, at least its been ridden. The low milage on the Vic would concern me because don't really know how long its been sitting. Possible fuel issues to deal with, but if runs good when you go see it, go with your gut. See which one feels right.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
Sounds and like a no brainer to me, Hands down, Nomad would be my choice.
Mileage would have no bearing on my decision. But as someone said, you have to live with your choice, so if you have a good track record with decision making, I'm sure you will make the right one.
Buy the way, every biker loves to see his woman and his bike in the same photo.

#4 · (Edited)
Victory had some transmission issues with the early bikes but I think they had them worked out before 2002. I'd research that a little before I'd buy a V92C. I owned a 2006 Victory Vegas and currently own a Victory Cross Country. Love them both but my Vegas was traded and the Cross Country is at the consignment dealer to be sold because of financial restructuring and I'm considering a used Nomad as a cheaper alternative until my kids have finished growing. There's no concern at all with the air/oil cooling. It has proven plenty adequate for all types of climates and the motors are very durable.

#5 ·
I thougt that it was fixed??? ( did not think a junction box would do it)

If you want to take a swing at it, maybe we can get somewhere, if you wish.
One thing about internet trouble shooting...it can be time consuming, but if you want to put in the effort, so do I and we can give an honest try.
Your present model is a good solid machine.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses! Saw the Vic today. Runs & sounds good. No test ride due to rain, but there will be.

Issue seems to be 3 wires on the starter solenoid coming loose. About to try some solder...see what happens. Will probably still move on though. Classic needs clutch work (plates & spring) & head bearing.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G, but not while riding!

#7 ·
I just got rid of my 1999 victory early this summer for transmission problems with 25,000 miles on it. My Dad also had a 2000 v92c witch he has sold also. It was 2003 with the freedom motor before they really fixed the transmisson. No big complaints with the bike. Things I didn't like were poor gas mileage, not the best ride in my opinion, limited dealer options. Needs alittle more power to me. There were some recalls on the early bikes like fuel pump,rear sprocket coming loose make sure to check those out. They had a very low output charging system that gave some people problems. If you buy it keep me in mind I still have some brand new chrome upgrade pieces for one. They do have a nice and easy design to replace the belt when needed.

#9 ·
Nope. I'm done with it. I don't have any more time to put into this bike. I do appreciate your offer though.

And all bets are off now...I found a bike & will be taking possession of it tomorrow night!

I found a beautiful 2000 Nomad 1500. 21k miles. Owned by a mechanic. He bought it for his son, fixed it up (rebuilt carb, all new fluids, new cables, new brakes, new battery & fresh oil) and his son said he wants a sport bike. So they're selling the Nomad to get him a sport bike. He's asking $3995 but told me on the phone he's flexible with it. I'm hoping $3500.

Isn't she beautiful???

Thank you everyone for your responses!!!

#10 ·
The Nomad was absolute garbage. Engine was all corroded, windshield was opaque, ran like crap & pulled to one side like it had been down.

Needless to say I passed on that one.

I had found a 2000 Yamaha Roadstar 1600 with 30k miles in Coral Springs. Since I wasn't too far away I decided to take a look at it. $3400 later I rode it home!

#13 ·
I had a 09 raider I loved the bike wife wanted more comfort traded for a vaquero like this bike to have had some minnor problems. Manly with kawasaki warranty they dont want to cover anything under warranty. I thought the yamaha had a better fit and finish other than that nice bike ride safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.