Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Is this a huge problem? Please help

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  skorepeo 
#1 ·
Hi Fellas

I am hoping your wealth of knowledge might assist me today.

Today i went to start my 2009 VN900 Custom and this happened:

The FI light kept flashing and it looked like the electrical current to the speedo / dash was flickering. The digital readout (time / milage) also kept flickering and never actually settled.

Bike would not start. the starter motor would not even crank.

I tested my battery and it was fully charged. So im pretty sure its not a battery issue.

i heard the fuel pump for a second when i turned the key but then it went out and i didn't hear it anymore no matter how many times i turned the key.

the rear running light (but not the head light) used turn on when i turned the key to on (before i started the bike) but today it kind of flickered but mostly off.

Any ideas on what this issue might be?

Any ideas would be appreciated

I took a short video of the instruments as they were

The bike is generally stock standard, apart from a barons air filter kit and V&H exhaust.

thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes terminals were on tight. I did have a battery minder cable recently installed by the local dealer. not sure if that has anything to do with it.

OK will check the ground wire from the terminal to wherever it goes. I will report what i find. thanks for the tip.

#5 ·
I thought weak battery initially but the battery charger showed battery full and the battery was generally ok last weekend.

I checked terminal connections and they were tight.

I will have to check the main ground connection as per last post and report.

I might even try removing the battery minder cable to see if that makes any difference.

thanks

#7 ·
Pull the battery and take it to the local auto parts store (Autozone/O'Reilly's/etc) and have them test it. They don't charge to test it, and usually have a replacement in stock if something is wrong. My '07 was doing very similar things, but failed a load test.

#8 ·
This sounds exactly like what happened to me. Same issues on startup, same "battery was tested, says it's fully charged and ready to go". Took it back to the dealer, they tested everything, put in a new battery, and everything was perfect.

If I were you, I would bite the bullet and buy a new battery yourself, it will be cheaper than what you'll get charged to diagnose and then replace the battery.

#10 ·
I had similar symptoms too and it was my battery. It worked fine one day and failed the next ... literally. I assumed the stator had failed (having spent time on this forum) but ... I bought a new battery and all was well. That was a two years ago. I bought the bike new in 2010 (2009 classic LT) and the original Yousa battery died after two years. It appeared to be fully charged but couldn't put out enough current to turn the starter motor and the turn on sequence "sounded" different to me. I'd push the start button and ... NOTHING.

I'm not certain how motorcycle batteries are different from car batteries and I've had car batteries fail in the past but never like this.

#14 ·
I'm not certain how motorcycle batteries are different from car batteries and I've had car batteries fail in the past but never like this.
Oh, car batteries can fail in the exact same way. They'll work getting you to the grocery store, and be dead when it's time to drive back home. LOL!

#12 ·
Well you were correct. New battery bought and installed and the bike is back to normal.

I am in shock as to how a seemingly ok battery could die such a quick death. Took the old battery to my local dealer, they tested it and it had absolutely nothing.

Thanks to the wisdom of this forums members, the issue was solved quickly and accurately.

Cheers and keep riding safe

#16 ·
When a battery is past it you can charge it up & it registers full voltage but has no power to crank the starter. FWIW I got one of those mini car battery jump starters recently. Works like a champ. No bigger than 2 packs of cards so small enough to put in your bag if your battery is suspect or if you are going touring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.