Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Paint touch-up/finishing question

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  PatC 
#1 ·
My gas tank has a 3"-4" circle of white paint on it from the previous owner (bike is Candy Fire Red). I assume the tank was dented, then bondo-d, painted and never finished. I want to touch up the finish, if possible, without having to refinish the entire tank. Doesn't have to be showroom perfect, but I want something better than brushing. I'll put an emblem back over it when done.

I've looked at the ColorRite site and to get a complete aerosol kit would run around $150 plus S&H. Hard to justify spending that much on such a small area. Would just the color coat, without base coat or clear coat be pretty close? Of course, most anything would be better than the white there now. Anybody have any more economical suggestions?

#2 ·
nope would not even be close... that red is translucent... needs a sliver base under it... and it should aslo be cleared as well...

#3 ·
I would suggest repainting the entire tank. You will not be happy with a touch up with that color. The repair shops around here would charge $250 to $300 for repaint. There is a tank on ebay for $300. It states it is perfect with emblems.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I may just have to bite the bullet and have the tank professionally refinished. I know that would definitely be the best way to go.

Any thoughts on whether to take it to an automotive body shop or a bike shop?

#6 ·
Any thoughts on whether to take it to an automotive body shop or a bike shop?
An auto shop will have top quality tools, but may charge too much. Some bike shops are well equipped and would have solid pricing in place for a job like that. You might also look for a custom painter. They typically have great tools and a job like this would be simple to them, so the price may follow accordingly.....plus it's always good to support the artisan / little guy. This time of year they may just need quick Christmas money and this is a fairly simple job they could knock out for quick bucks.....everybody wins!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.