Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Other interests/hobbies

4K views 40 replies 27 participants last post by  Jammin'John 
#1 ·
Some of us have a winter or storage season to deal with, some not. What else consumes your time and interests?

Got a hobby, other toys, tech stuff you enjoy?

For me, it's Android stuff. Like screwing around with my Samsung Galaxy S3 and new Nexus 10 tablet.

What ya got?

#2 ·
Good thread to start up MN. My need for speed in the winter is satisfied by a 500 Venture sled (when we have snow). Downside to the "Bee-Hive" is it only gets 10 MPG, I have to trailer it out of town to the fields (too cheap to Register it for legal trail riding), and can't use it to visit peeps unless I carry extra fuel.

My favorite pastime during Scoot Storage Season is boinking the Old Lady. :laugh:

#3 ·
Right now I recently bought a guitar and amp and going to try and learn. I was a band geek in HS so I am not new to music just new to string instruments.

Also I am going to attempt to re-learn to roller skate since my daughter is wanting to learn (4 yo) and it helps to have some one out there with her for inspiration. I have not been on a set since I was 10-12 year old so If I make it threw with out having to go to the ER I will call it a success.

I used to be an avid ATV rider but I sold it a few years back and never got me another one since I now have to haul one somewhere to ride. I used to be able to leave from my house and ride for hours.

#4 ·
Firearms! Having interest in a gun store that sells NFA stuff, customers regularly let us take their new toys out to the range to try out. I certainly can't afford a lot of those! And for our own stuff, it is just fun shooting suppressed firearms at exploding targets - it just never gets old!
If I can't get out to do that, then it's laying around watching the duh-screen, and checking the weather report every hour or so ... hey, you never know!

#5 ·
When I can't get out to ride do to weather, I'll like to play guitar, and go to an indoor shooting range. I find both to be great stress relievers (even my wife likes to fire a few rounds, and she's good at it).

#7 ·
Silly rabbit. Winters are for wrenching on motorcycles.

I'm modding an old Honda like the one I had in the 70's. When 350CC wasn't considered a small bike.

Just finished lacing new wheels and spokes. Too cold to paint but the engine rebuild is next.

1972 SL350 K2

#8 ·
Unfortunately most all of my hobbies are fair-weather activities. Camping, hiking, backpacking, bike riding (non-motorized type), Miata driving, and my son is getting me into skydiving - may be getting too old for that, though!

#9 ·
Other Interests

For me its Backpacking. I dont just wait for the non riding season of which is very short here in Central Va, I actually combine the two activities when I can Nothing better than riding to a trailhead with the backpack strapped to my back and heading off into the wilderness for a few days and then returning for a nice ride home on the bike.
Its gonna be 65 here in Charlottesville, VA this weekend. Been callin my ridin buddies and we are headed out for a ride on Saturday. Eat your heart out all you northern riders.
:cool:

#10 ·
During the off season I like to hunt, rabbit hunting is my favorite followed closely by deer & the rest of the samll game, & perfecting reciepes for them too. I raised tropical fish for nearly 30years, African cichlids to be specific. I've had as many as 15 aquariums set up in the house at one time. The largest I had was 300gal. @ 8' long. Lately wrenching on my Meanstreak installing the stuff I got for Christmas.

#11 ·
PT Sheriff's Office Deputy, Police Firearms Instr., & Glock Armorer. Vilage Planning Commisioner and Park Dist. Rock Climbing wall volunteer. Retired EE from the automotive world with insert molding and UL/CSA switch manufacturing. Keeps me busy, but I'd rather be riding.

#13 ·
Rather be riding! But in the meantime, I like to tinker with my bike, also into photography.

My wife and I both love to go places (on the bike or in the car in the winter) and take pictures. We've got a Canon DSLR, some lenses and speedlites, have a lot of fun doing that.

I'm also into computers a bit. I've got a homebuilt Windows PC, and my MacBook that I use most of the time. Kind of an Apple fan myself :) My most recent computer acquisition is what I'm typing this with right now, a mid 2012 MacBook Pro with dual 256GB SSD's in RAID 0, running around 9gbps read speeds. Also running 16GB of RAM. This thing screams!

Maybe my name should be NerdBiker?

#15 ·
Well, I read a lot in the winter months. I also do some photography - mostly nature. I'll play the occasional video game just to keep the hand-eye coordination up. I also just brewed up my first batch of homebrew beer which is currently sitting in a corner and bubbling contentedly. In the non-cold months I like to fish and hike when I can. I used to love winter hiking but since I whacked off a finger my left hand just doesn't take the cold well these days.

#17 ·
Cool. I played Trumpet and Baritone for 7 years when I was in school but I have not touched one in 11 years now.

#19 ·
ha ha, In short, a very funny shaped trumpet that sounds like a mix between a trumpet and french horn.

#20 ·
For me Like Roman 5:8, its riding. I have not put the bike up yet.
But i am also into firearms. I am a Firearms Intructor, and shooter in the USPSA and 3gunner. I build most of my guns. So i have been working in a few new builds.
Also have been rebuilding my 1st bike (GS850G Suzuki).
I have been looking into building a trailer to pull behind my scoot, so i can ride to my gun matches. Need to carry Shotgun, rifle and pistol and all the gear.

#21 ·
With a handle like DoubleTap, would have never thought you were into guns... :D

I like the idea of a trailer, there are a few on this board with them. Would like to use one for camping.

#25 ·
I've been so busy with kids in the past that there wasn't much time for anything else. Now that they're all grown up, I bought my first bike at the end of last summer so I can hardly wait for the spring. I read a lot and have decided to take piano lessons from a fellow biker. I'm an avid hockey fan (hey ... I'm Canadian) so I'm glad they're finally going to be playing again. Love this forum!

#29 ·
Like a lot of folks, I go shooting or play my guitar. I used to be a pretty good shot when I was younger and had good vision. Now it's not as much fun. Getting old sucks! I'm really quite bad at playing the guitar, but it's good therapy. I have to really focus and that helps push out the other stuff from my mind.

We don't have much of a winter here in Florida. This year has been exceptionally warm. I did have to go 2 weeks and not ride. It was cold and rainy. Not my favorite combination!

#30 ·
I like photography (DSLR with some lenses) - but if I can't ride, its probably not a good day for photography. I like to build things - but I really don't have the shop and tools for it, so most things wind up being rather shoddy looking - very functional and strong, but not as good looking as I'd like.

I built myself a Queen sized bed frame and converted it into a King size when we got married. Have to do a headboard now... Built a kitchen worktable to fit in an unused space. Built a storage shed.

I like computers too, building and installing, writing little utility programs.

If I had money, I'd be busy creating and building stuff all the time!

#31 ·
I like photography (DSLR with some lenses) - but if I can't ride, its probably not a good day for photography. I like to build things - but I really don't have the shop and tools for it, so most things wind up being rather shoddy looking - very functional and strong, but not as good looking as I'd like.

I built myself a Queen sized bed frame and converted it into a King size when we got married. Have to do a headboard now... Built a kitchen worktable to fit in an unused space. Built a storage shed.

I like computers too, building and installing, writing little utility programs.

If I had money, I'd be busy creating and building stuff all the time!
But if its a good day you can ride you bike AND take the camera along. Can't complain about anything there other than the day just isn't long enough to fully enjoy both.

#32 ·
Since its still fairly warm here in sun city I haven't put the bike up yet. But when I'm not riding i think I'm going to try and perfect some wood working skills. I've built plenty of stuff (mostly where building codes don't play into things) and have started working in a new wood shop recently I really like. May even try to learn how to work the lathe...

#33 ·
+1 for hockey starting back up. I too and wrenching on some new gear for the 900. I am also a ham radio operator and winter is always a good time to fire up the rig.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.