Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

helmet communication systems?

5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  Quarterbore 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use this? My wife wants to be able to talk to me when she rides with me. I know this defeats the purpos of a nice quiet ride. I found this an wanted to know if anyone has ever used them https://www.denniskirk.com/fire-fox...assenger-intercoms-ftd.p407060.prd/407060.sku

I don't want to spend a small fortune so I thought I would give them a try. Hopfully it will make her happy probably not you know haw women are. Thanks

#2 ·
I've never used that device, but it looks REALLY uncomfortable and difficult to use. I suppose it would be OK if you don't wear a helmet and can't use a regular wireless headset.

#3 ·
I have no experience with the headsets in your post. I, like Siriusjoe think these would be very uncomfortable with a helmet on. I would wait to get some feedback from someone who has actually used them on a motorcycle.
I use Scala Rider Q2 headsets. They work flawlessly and are very comfortable and easy to install.They are a little more pricey than the ones in your post.
Nothing worse than having gear that is not comfortable. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Systems-Scala-Rider-Multiset/dp/B004NBJ594/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355711650&sr=8-4&keywords=scala+rider+Q2[/ame]

#4 ·
I've never used or even seen that one but it did get some fairly decent reviews. You can do like I did and watch e-bay for some deals. I got a pair of Chatterboxes and the helmets they were attached to for $100. The helmets alone were worth that. Good luck.

#5 ·
I played with the idea of those Firefox communicators. (for price reasons) They seem like they would work "in theory". You can take a mike and press on your throat and it will pick up your voice, but it is muffled. I would assume those would be too. But I finally decided to bite the bullet and pay 2 Ben's for a set of the Scala Rider "Team Set Pro".

#7 ·
sena

I have the Sena SMH-10 also and like it. It works great with a full faced helmet and the open faced helmet, if the mic is not exposed directly into the wind. You can talk to your buddy up front, use a blue tooth phone, or a mp3 connected to a blue tooth transmitter. My iphone also has blue tooth so I listen to music from it. The speakers in the helmet work with no loss of comfort.
You can also talk to two or three people at the same time.

#11 ·
I tried some throat mikes and it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher talking in the next room......blah blah blah. Couldn't understand a word we said to each other while standing one room away in a quiet house. I sent them back and ended up with the Scala system which has worked well.

When I put my speakers in the helmet, I ended up putting a piece of 3/4 inch thick foam between the back of the speakers and the helmet shell to get them closer to my ear - that helped a lot with the volume.

Good luck with whatever you choose !!

#15 ·
Use this [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Shark-SHKLXMBT688IL-Motorcycle-Snowmobile-Interphone/dp/B004P449QI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355980431&sr=8-1&keywords=6+riders[/ame] you don´t need a super expensive scala rider or similar to get a comfortable bluetooth and intercomm.

Are waterproof, lightweight and easy to install... i preferered use the sticked support + silicone sealer than clamp one because it´s more comfortable and secure.

#16 ·
I've used throat mics and forehead mics before. They tend to be muffled unless they are sitting precisely where they need to be, snug against the vocal cords in your neck/throat. It tends to get a bit uncomfortable and, quite uncomfortable in hot weather.

After a few, somewhat painful, attempts at using them to communicate with a friend of mine, I finally chucked them in a drawer and opted for the Scala Q2 system which has proven to be everything you could ever want in a rider/passenger, rider/rider or, rider/rider/passenger communication system. They work flawlessly and, the clarity of the voice communication is superb. The first time that we used them 'on the road' my friend phoned me while he was riding his bike and I, mine. I told him that he couldn't possibly be on his bike because there was no ambient sound whatsoever. Didn't take long for him to prove his point, as he was still talking to me when he rode up from behind.

I'm sure that other similar systems are just as good but, it was hard to beat the package deal that I got at the time and, going with the Scala system proved to be the best decision for riding communications, that I've made.

My advice... forget the throat mic system and opt for a 'quality' communication/intercom system. It is definitely worth the initial extra cost and, you won't regret it as, you'll most likely end up getting a 'Scala' or similar system anyway and, you will end up spending more in the long run. JMHO

#17 ·
I have never tried the Shark brand electronics. When i was shopping for them I saw them but was afraid to pull the trigger. Then when I was at my dealer picking up my sissy bar with the wife,and we saw a set of scala rider intercoms and just jumped on them.

#19 ·
Well Bill C do you have any feed back? What dod you get?. I think im going to order the shark one an try it. I will let everyone know how they work when I get them. I will probably be March or so befor I get to ride with them. Has to warm up some.

#20 ·
Yes i have them. sorry for the delay. they seem ok having trouble keeping them paired to each other other than that they work well rider to passenger is excellent . Also my buddy took one and we rode about 3 hrs and had no problems range seems to be about 1/4 to 1/2 mile then fades out. More than likley the problems are(operator error) LOL hope this helps. now i want to hook up audio to them from bike. Bill

#25 ·
I've got, and love the shark brand.

In fact, I used it to record this little vlog about my bike. I recorded it to my cellphone, but this is raw, unedited straight out of the BT headset.

Skip to about 8:30 and you'll hear me transition up through 65-80mph, and you'll hear how clear the audio still is.

I can attest it's plenty loud on the highway as well, wife and I can hear each other just fine on the highway on our two bikes.

#27 ·
Ive been doing my homework and i am going with the Sena 10 also. I have some friends that are running Sena's and they really like them. With the 10 and can have me and my wife on as well as two others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.