Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Draining the carbs

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Comanche 
#1 ·
Someone recommended I drain my carbs and spray them with carb cleaner to stop the bike from sputtering at higher speeds. I think i'm getting too much air or not enough fuel. it runs fine at low speeds ( lesst than 60) and most of the time runs smoothly even at higher speeds.

Anyway, I don't know how to do the drainage of the carbs. Any hints?

#2 ·
I am not exactly sure how draining your carbs is going to fix the situation. You could try some Seafoam in your tank. Personally, I would take the time to clean the carb properly. How long have you had the bike?

So it's having intermittant open throttle issues? Is the intake and exhaust stock?

#3 ·
Well he said he had a similar problem and that he drained his carbs and sprayed them clean and then the bike ran fine. i guess he's saying that I have some gunk inside there and need to clean it out. Yeah, the bike has a hesitation/stalling problem occassionaly. usually around 65mph. I have the throttle open and when i hit it, the bike just pop-pop-pops and doesn't take off like normal. then i let off the throttle and it kinda backfires as it revs down. at around 40 i can go again. unburnt fuel maybe? not enough fuel?

#5 ·
Plus 1 on trying the Seafoam gas treatment and running a tank full of gas through it before pulling things apart. I've had very good luck with it and have some acquaintances who have some great experiences also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.