Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

install a HD horn

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Yammadof 
#1 ·
hi, is it possible to install a HD horn on a VN800 ? i have replaced the original horn by a HD horn and it don't work, somebody can help me ?????

#10 ·
Horn

I can't speak to the stock wiring for Harley compared to these bikes. I've had 3 HD's but never needed to replace an HD horn for a louder one. So I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison - using an HD horn on an HD may not need a relay but maybe the same horn on an 800A might need one. I've seen ebay adds for HD horns and they sometimes will say a relay may be needed. Anyone else replace a horn for a louder one? I'm sure I'm not the only one. All I know is my replacement horn did not work until I put in a relay, then voila. :)

#12 ·
I can't speak to the stock wiring for Harley compared to these bikes. I've had 3 HD's but never needed to replace an HD horn for a louder one. So I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison - using an HD horn on an HD may not need a relay but maybe the same horn on an 800A might need one. I've seen ebay adds for HD horns and they sometimes will say a relay may be needed. Anyone else replace a horn for a louder one? I'm sure I'm not the only one. All I know is my replacement horn did not work until I put in a relay, then voila. :)
Yep...just installed Fiamm Twin Tones...needed a relay. Simple install with main fused [10amp] running to the relay mounted by the radiator... and used existing two horn wires [from the horn button] to trigger the relay. Fiamms mounted on existing bracket........have pics if needed...

Dave

#9 ·
Horn

Well that's a good point. If the original horn never worked, could be a cct problem. I had assumed the reason for the question was to just replace the stock horn (working?) with an aftermarket, (louder) horn. That's the reason I replaced mine. It was just too soft to do any good. But to go louder, I needed a relay.

#8 ·
Lighter than needed wire gage may even allow the horn to work momentarily but create issues when in actual use. A relay is a great way to power the horn using the factory switch to activate the relay and utilize a heavier gage wire to power the horn. Listen to sfair. He's competent.

#14 · (Edited)
OK....Fiamms were $16.00 and had red covers....sprayed them black with hi-temp satin black.

Installed 12 gauge hot wire Yellow to Black] with inline 10amp fuse direct from battery and ran the wire up the centre tube...

...to the relay mounted top right rad bracket...used 14 gauge from horn to relay + shrink wrap

Using the original horn mount

and end result...

Sound great - low + hi tone........

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.