Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Well I Took The Leap Last Night

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Taz_FL 
#1 ·
I finally broke down and bought a left over 2012 blue Vaquero. I picked it up last night with 0 miles on it. I've been looking at them for almost a year now. They are running some pretty good deals trying to blow out the left over 2012's. I know what you guys are going to say, the black ones are the fastest but I figure the blue one will get all the chicks, LOL.

I rode it home last night and holy crap it's been a long time and I almost don't remember how to ride one any more. I'm not too proud to tell you guys it scared the crap out of me.

I think I'm gonna just take it easy for a few weeks and just practice riding around the neighborhood. Slow speeds and lots of stop and go's to try and shake off the rust a little. Then in 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to take the MSF course and get my licence.

From what I can tell so far it really rides nice. I thought for sure with the weight of the Vaquero it wouldn't handle that good but it seams pretty balanced to my untrained butt. I was really impressed how smooth it rides.

However there a few issues I will need to resolve pretty soon. First off since i'm short and fat I really need those mirror extensions I've seen you guys talking about. If I remember correctly you guys said the Vaquero needs them both threaded in the same direction which I guess is different then most other motorcycles. Next is I can't quite get the heals of my feet on the ground so I'll be looking into an after market seat real soon. I was thinking about the Ultimate Young guns since it says it moves you back and down about an inch. I'm thinking about maybe letting a little air out of the rear suspension. What is the range 0-15 psi or something like that. What are you guys running for pressure?

Sorry I didn't mean to make my first post so long but I'm pretty excited and have a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.

See less See more
#2 ·
GC1218,

Great idea in taking the MSF class. I was out of biking for ~30 years and took the MSF just to test the waters before I bought. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. To my surprise I actually learned a few things! Enjoy your new ride!

#3 ·
Welcome, fellow Vaquero! I wouldn't say to stay in the neighborhood so much as stay out of heavy traffic. You can brush up a lot of skills in an empty parking lot. With this economy there are usually several around. Actually, most bikes use standard right-hand threads - I believe Yamaha(?) is the only one that uses one left and one right. Another option for lowering just a tad is to have that seat rebuilt. Mine if off to AZ right now, several companies that do it.
And yes, black is fastest - but, you keep the blue, as I'm married, and the only part of the wedding vows my wife remembers is "till death do us part!":D

#4 ·
CONGRATS!!! My Vaquero is 19 months old and has 29,000 miles on it. I garrantee with time you'll love your V!!
Hey, the red one does pretty good in gettin the chicks too!!:D

RACNRAY

BTW...don't forget to check out the 1700 section, lots of good stuff there.

#8 ·
Hey GC; welcome to the forum.

A couple of notes.
Very few dealers put air in the rear shocks. It is likely they are set at 0.
I would suggest getting some air IN them though. A few pounds of air and a lower rebound setting is just right for me on my Voyager.:)

I am a shorter rider too. A lot of riding boots have a little more sole and heel height than regular shoes.
When I first got my VV; it felt real tall even with my boots on. Now, I don't really notice the height until I head to the store and don't change out of my tennis shoes.:eek:
If you trust your legs (and I am guessing you do :)); give it a few miles before doing anything to lower it. I have heard a lot of comfort complaints about seats that lower you.
Most people who drop it at a stop do so because of oil, gravel, a pot hole or such.

I know some people with shorter legs have trouble getting it off the stand. You can replace the stand with one for a 1500 for a little less lean. Also, a good way to make it easier off the stand is to turn the bars to the full right stop; I use that one in parking lots with a leftward slope.:)

Congrats on the bike! and ride safe!

Scott

#10 ·
+1 to what Scott said, I was gonna say that too! A seat is a good option but they can be pricey and often a thinner or 'easy reach' seat can be uncomfortable. Lots of times some thick-soled riding boots can cure the same problems (especially if it's only a small amount of reach needed). Many motorcycle specific boots have really thick oil-resistant soles anyway.

#11 ·
Congrats on your new ride. I live about 50 minutes north of Tampa. I'm short and fat too! Reaching the ground is just a bit of a stretch on my Nomad. I guess I need to check the air pressure in my shocks too. I tried lowering the preload on the shocks and quickly put it back. The bouncy, bouncy ride was not very confidence inspiring to say the least. I think the thicker heel boots would work out fine for me as I can almost flat foot if I roll forward on the seat I can almost flat foot my ride.

#12 ·
welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new vaquero. The vaquero is a awesome bike, you're going to love it. I've had mine for about 6 months now and its the best bike I've owned. Taking it easy and signing up for the riding coarse are great ideas. Enjoy it and be safe, I'm sure you'll get lots of miles and smiles out of it. By the way, the blue vaqueros are really nice looking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.