Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Batwing and Cobra Driving Lights Help

9K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  bosco 
#1 ·
I just added a Memphis Shades Batwing with the Trigger Lock mount. I have a set of Cobra driving lights on my 06 Vulcan. Everything fits but now my driving lights are pointed down and pretty much worthless. I cannot raise them up enough because of hitting the wing. Anyone have a Batwing and Cobra driving light? If so, do you have this issus and are you living with it or have you learned a trick to correct. Any help would be great.

#2 ·
I put 2 washers between the lightbar and lower triple clamp, that gave me enough clearance to aim the spots just below where the headlight shined. I did also have to jockey the position of the batwing a little. Another option would be to elongate the spotlight mounting holes, it wouldn't take very much at all.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Sarge. I tried the washers but still didn't give me enough to get the light at the spot I wanted them. So I placed new holes in the bar about 1/2 over and a 1/4 forward. Now I have plenty of space to point them where I like and enough clearance so they won't rub the shield. Picked up a couple of chrome plugs that covewr the screws of a bathroom faucets to plug the old holes.

Now that's done the next mod will be to add the Vulcan emblem to the wing.

This picture is before doing the mod to the lightbar

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I also put a small adhesive rubber grummet on the fairing behind each light to solve any vibration / scuffing (scratch) issues.

#8 ·
I posted last night but thought I misread the question so I deleted it. I guess I wasn't too far off so here it is again.

Here's a picture that shows to show what it looks like from where I sit.

And here's one taken while riding. The camera is mounted on top of my helmet so the point of view is higher. The top of the windshield comes to my upper lip/tip of nose area.

#7 ·
When I get chance and good light I will take close up picture of the new holes I drilled in my bar how much clearance I have between them and the wing. With the plugs I put in them you really have to look hard to see them and if you dont know you cannot tell the lights have been moved. With the new placement I don't have to worry about the lights hitting or rubbing at all.

As for the visibility, I have no issues with mine. I have a 9 inch windshield so I'm looking right over the top the windshield. The top half of my shield is back but does not hinder my visibility at all.

Attachments

#10 ·
Took a couple of pictures of the wing and the mod to the light bar during lunch. I pull the Plug I had in the hole out so it can be see better. Also you can see the clearance in the other pic between the light and the faring.

Attachments

#11 ·
Pics are great. Shows exactly where to place the light. Did you also place the two washers under the triple tree and lightbar? What size chrome plug did you use? Lights look great with the fairing.

#12 ·
Nope, I put the washers on at first but since they did not work for me I took them back out. Just the relocation of the lights give me the clearance and I can point them as high as I want now without touching the faring.

As for the chrome plugs. I had an old bathroom faucet that I pull them of so I don't really know the size. After looking at them I didn't like as much so I took them off. Plus with it be really hard to see in that area I'm thinking of doing some black rubber ones now. Just depends on what I find in the hardware store on my next trip.

#13 ·
Just finished installing the MS Batwing and repositioned my lights. Moved them 1/4" to the outside and the faring fits perfectly, with good clearence for adjustment. Unless someone really inspects the lights (up close and personal) would not know they were moved.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.