Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

putting bike up for winter

984 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  4b316 
#1 ·
Was just wondering what some of you guys that can't ride in the winter do to your bikes to put up for winter.I had plans to move our kitchen table and roll the bike in the house for the winter but kinda got shot down for that idea.So I clear a corner in my shop and rolled it in there and covered it up.Not really heated but have a fire every couple days or when working in there.Good time to change the oil,grease,etc?or wait till spring?

#2 ·
Here's a link to a Winterize thread. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31666&highlight=winterize

I wouldn't fire up your shop too hot if your going to store your bike there. Cold, hot, back to cold isn't the ideal condition for storage. Promotes condensation which may lead to water in the oil, rust on external connections and possibly coagulation of ethanol based gas. Sorry to scare you but your better off buying a small shed and keeping the bike in a cold storage.

#3 ·
I'm in Omaha, and I don't do too much to winterize (thank God for FI!). I really just put Sea Foam in the gas & hook up the battery tender.

But then, I'm the type who will ride in pretty cold weather. As long as there's no snow or ice on the ground, I'll go in temps down to about 20 (not very long distances).

I consider putting the winshield & crash bar chaps on and bustin out the neoprene face thingie to be "winterizing".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.