Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Shark Stereo System for Vulcan 900 Classic LT

10K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Denis 
#1 ·
I am looking for a stereo system for the bike. All I want is to listen to my MP3 player on long rides. I have seen good reviews on the Shark system. I see there are several different ways to go; 100 Watt, 250 Watt, internal amp, etc. Suggestions from anyone who has installed one on their bike? How much of a pain is it?

#2 ·
It's cheap, just throwing that heads up out there. When mine worked, it sounded decent, did what it needed to do. BUT, my wife stuck HER iPhone on there and blared the music while it was parked at an event and blew both speakers :p Moral of the story, remember to keep the bass as low as possible on whatever your audio source is.

Installation is straightforward. Speakers mount to mirrors, if you remove the toolbox the amp will fit on top of the battery (I used a small thin scrap of wood, screwed it down using the toolbox screws, and velcro'ed it to the amp). I removed the bolts for the fuel tank and had a helper lift and lean the tank a bit, just enough to fit the wires underneath it. Then I ran an AUX cable up through a tank bib for my iPhone. I found the FM radio to be worthless, wouldn't pick anything up.

It's a decent system, it gets the job done. To be honest, it sounds just as good as the other, higher dollar systems I've heard (though others disagree). The big thing is though, there are NO bass blockers, meaning you can EASILY destroy the speakers. Make sure your audio source isn't pushing too much bass.

FWIW I'll be mounting a fairing with speakers this winter. Guess I decided I really did want more audio. IMO, if I'm gonna spend $600 for handlebar mounted speakers or a memphis shades batwing and cheap-o speaker thingy, I might as well just go all in and get a fairing, 6x9 marine speakers and a head unit for around the same investment! In this persons humble opinion, the shark is the only way to go for a handlebar mounted setup, because the cost of the others is so astronomically high you are better off getting a fairing mounted or hard-saddlebag mounted stereo setup. (The exception being if you just absolutely didn't want a fairing or wanted the cleaner look of handlebar speakers)

#5 ·
No. It's nowhere near 600 watts of actual power. Whenever you buy audio equipment, it's rated for PMPO (Peak Music Power Output). Usually that 'peak' is so fast the human ear can't discern it. The actual power output is closer to about 100 watts, driving speakers in the 6-8 watt range. There is no reason to be concerned about what this would draw from your electrical system.

#4 ·
If you want music on the cheap, Shark will do it. I paid ~$60 for mine and sold it later on craigslist for $30. I started with the speakers on the handlebars and later tucked them inside the fairing. Mine was a 100W system and if I cranked the music I could hear it pretty clearly even on the interstate. There was distortion in the sound with the volume way up but since I wear earplugs for long rides they filtered out the distortion. I kept my amp in a fairing pouch but those things get hot. I didn't really have any complaints except that twice I had to crack open one of the speakers to resolder wires. The second time it happened was when I removed the stereo and sold it.

After that I tried a couple of different things. For a while when I wanted music I stuffed earbuds in my ears under my helmet and plugged them in to an ipod. That worked well enough but if the wires shifted around and pressed into my ears they would hurt. Now I have a Scala Rider Q2 Pro. I like it and I now have the option of removing my fairing in a few seconds and still having music but without needing to move/remove stereo components or have handlebar mounted speakers.

Advantages and disadvantages to every setup. Like I said, I didn't pay much for my Shark stereo and I made a 5 day riding trip with it so I was certainly glad to have it for that. Installation was pretty easy. Speakers are kind of big and gawdy and I had the black ones, but they do the trick. I don't think I'd buy one again, though.

#6 ·
I'm using the Cycle Sounds handle bar speakers on my 800 classic. Sound is decent,but like above, no bass. with windsheild and 1/2 helmet, good to about 80 mph. 1 speaker and the amp went out about 3 months after the warranty did, that was a bummer. Replaced both speakers at 160 a set and te amp with a Phonics Digital PD-2010 I got atthe local mall stereo shop for $50. Mounted in the right side cover and ran cable through tank bib for my I-pod and I-phone.

#8 · (Edited)
USAF Retired,

IMO, you can't go wrong. Very easy install. I have had the 600 Watt (75W RMS) on my bike for about a year. No issues. Before that I had a 250 Watt. It ran about 1.5 years. The speakers suck, so I installed some 4" Polk Audio speakers. Easy, easy, easy install, and really inexpensive. Did I say easy and inexpensive? I load most my music on an SD card so I can take advantage of the equalizer setting. Here is a sample. Fast forward to 2:00 mark to listen.

I got my speakers from here. http://www.motorcycletunes.com/

#9 ·
One question is are the systems water proof. I just brought the 250 watt one. But the cooling slots are open and if they are mounted on my bars what is protected from the elements,like the speaker wires,SD slot,or even buttons. Do I have to fab a cover for it.

#11 ·
The amp is not waterproof but the speakers are.

#13 · (Edited)
I've got the Shark SHKMRC3080DBC-k 250w motorcycle snowmobile audio system W ' 3" speakers (shkr3080a-k , shkr3080b-k). Now lists for $99.00 came down in price. I have no complaints with the system. It's not premium (very plasticky) but at that price I wasn't expecting it to be. (I like plastic...low mtce) It's got plenty of braun for my 08 VN900LT. Speakers mounted on the mirrors, power amp under the seat, music player on the bars along with the remote. I wanted this remote feature...it turns on and off the system. When off the system draws 3 mA...very little. I find it to be plenty loud at all speeds. The system looks great and totally waterproof on the speakers & remote (though I re-inforced it). The power amp is not. For $99 bucks...I mean..wow!

I too have found the radio reception less then desirable, however, I use the one on my player.

Note - I do find that during swelting hot days, the under seat amp setup can get pretty warm on the posterior.

Quality of received items with shipping is another thing...seems to be luck of the draw.

The speakers come with a direct connection...should you buy one of these, keep the wires tied up till after the mounting is complete otherwise it's easy to step on the wire and lose grip of the speaker! Cover your tank when mounting!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.