Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

SmartPartz quiet Baffle Review

10K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  CdnVulcanGuy 
#1 ·
Watch the video and judge for yourself.

Click Here

#2 ·
CdnVulcanGuy,

I watched your video, But really couldn't get a good look at the baffles. You maybe be able to packed the baffle with with glass/ceramic pack material that we use on our exhuast systems. If you can remove the baffles and send me some pictures I may be able to help you. If there are designed like I think they are, I will send you a sample of the material to try. Send me the pictures.

Doug
Fuggin Fabrication
480/813-4474
info@fugginfabrication.com

#5 ·
"6 - 12 db my a**" LMAO! I feel your pain Cdn! Thinking back, I remember having that same level of disappointment, but strangely enough I have become more comfortable with it over time. They are still too loud for my taste but definitely sound better than before. Maybe give it a little time before you make a final decision. Oh and BTW great job on the video, sound translated very well and it was very well done. Thanks for posting.

#6 ·
I would be very interested in that as well Doug. I really like the look of the HK's alot more than stock but just want them a little quieter. According to HK's website they are working on a method to do just that with an add on part of some sort but nothing as of yet. Let me know if there's any way I can help. Thanks.

#8 ·
Interesting indeed. I got some Cobra 2 into1 Power Pro pipes for Christmas and boy were they loud. I went for a day ride and my ears rang for 45 minutes after getting home so I purchased the Smart-Parts baffle. When I installed it, it didn't fit really tight, but it did cut the noise down some. I went out and got some muffler putty and sealed the baffle around the outside edge and then painted the inside of the muffler black. That really helped quiet it down a lot. Since doing this I've gotten some compliments from my riding group on how well they sound. They're still louder than stock (there's 2 other 900 LT's in the group so I've heard them side-by-side), but at a reasonable level. I would reccomend the Smart Parts baffle for quieting down loud pipes providing it s sealed around the outside edge. I also really don't think that adding fiberglass to the pipes will have that big an impact, though for some that was enough. I'm really happy with my pipes now.

#9 ·
A most excellent video, Cdn, well done. I'd agree with your assessment, there was definately a tonal change with the baffles in, but no way a 6-12dB drop in volume. I'd really like to have seen a meter reading actual dB of the difference.

Good luck with fugginfabrication's suggestion and help, and "good on ya" for helping out a fellow Vulcan rider, Doug. I'm sure Cdn really appreciates it and hopefully you'll garnish useful information in the process.

#10 ·
I must say that after a long ride today I am much happier. It seems that once the pipes get nice and hot they really tone down...A LOT. Is that normal? My wife even commented how much quieter it was so I know it is not my imagination.

Also, SmartPartz has been great to deal with. Here is an email they sent me after I expressed my dissatisfaction.

Hi Mike,
Thank you for your email.
What we would like you to do first is take the bike for some decent rides before you do anything else. We know that when you just put that baffle in you may not hear a huge difference but trust us, on the highway you will notice a definite improvement. If you don't like them, return and we will happily refund your credit card.
We know you are in Canada and are obviously busy right now so do not worry about the 30 day guarantee - we will extend it until June 30, 2010 for you if this will help.
We attach the link to our website for the strippers so you can see the baffles but we have not had great success with wrapping. We think once you have had a chance to do some decent rides you will notice a nice difference - but it will be up to you at the end of the day :)
http://www.smartpartz.com/SPZHK250ST.html
Kind regards
Heather
Smartpartz.com

#12 ·
Cdn, glad they've grown on you some, and yeah very nice response from SmartPartz. Mine are still to loud for me but I like the looks so I don't think I'll be trading for the stock pipes anytime soon. Maybe HK will come up with something that quietens them down soon, according to their website they are working on something. I figure they could put a pretty meaty baffle in there and they would still flow way and sound better than the stock pipes.

#14 · (Edited)
what about combining smartpartz baffels on the cobra quite core baffels ? would it help ? iam thinking of this combo ???
what you think ?
I did exactly that over the winter. The Cobra Speedster shorts were just to loud for me. I bought the Smartpartz baffles first, but I heard a lot of different opinions on whether the Cobra Quite core or the Smartpartz were quieter. Someone that didn't like the Cobra Quiet cores (he liked the smartpartz) sold me his. Since I like fairly quiet pipes I combined both and sold my original baffles. I never heard either quiet baffles by themselves, but I can tell you that the two combined are still not quiet enough for me. I'm seriously considering going back to my stock pipes. All I can say is it's quieter than the stock Cobra baffles.

Here's another thread that also talks about the Quiet core & Smartpartz:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5699&page=1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.