How Much Oil is TOO Much in a 900?? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Vandy

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI NSX View Post
Use a mirror, that's what I do.
Very good idea...
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte View Post
Checking the oil level on the Vulcan is a pain and is the one design flaw that really bugs me. It has to be exactly level or the reading is inaccurate and it's almost a 2-person job unless you have a stand.
It doesn't have to be exactly level. Anywhere in the sightglass range is fine.

I specifically don't fill mine to the top of the sight glass because then you don't really know how much is in there. I shoot for 1/2 way up in the glass. That way if the bike isn't exactly level you still have a pretty good idea of how much is in there.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
DoubleTap
Premium Member

Garage

Oh boy, I think i need to pull some oil out of mine. Just did my 1st oil change. (screw the dealer) I put a gallon of Rotella T6 in it with a new Fram filter. Think I will pull it back to 3/4 of the sight window.

2008 Vulcan 900 Classic
DoubleTap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
TurcoLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTap View Post
Oh boy, I think i need to pull some oil out of mine. Just did my 1st oil change. (screw the dealer) I put a gallon of Rotella T6 in it with a new Fram filter. Think I will pull it back to 3/4 of the sight window.
To think a dealer or a professional shop would not make mistakes, especially when most are hiring young kids to do the routine tasks like oil change, would be naive.

I bought a 2008 V-Strom with 4300 miles couple of months back and it had the 4000 mile service done by the Suzuki dealer. I am looking at the receipt/work order and the oil window and the entire window is full! The oil was covering the entire window! Like this one:

I ended up test riding it that way but when I got it home, I ended up draining over half a quart of oil to make it come down to "full" line. Running the bike a little over the "low" line is way better than running it a little over "full" line, imho.

I use a rear wheel stand ($25-$50) to level the bike and also make it easier.
I initially put just 3 quarts. Let the bike run for 3-5 minutes in gear on the rear stand or ride it around for a few minutes. Then shut it off, wait like 30 minutes or so, then check the oil level again.
Bike has to be leveled on both coordinates and handlebar straight. Besides leveling the bike sideways, it also cannot be on a uphill/downhill type surface.

I typically end up putting 3.5 quarts with a new filter.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 01-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
Boomer914

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas63 View Post
My 2005 Harley EGC has a dipstick to check the oil level. I've had numerous other Harleys that also had dipsticks. Can't recall one that had a sightglass to check the oil level.
I ment all other bikes with a sight glass.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App
Ride 'till

Vulcan 1600 classic
Memphis shades 19'' Black E-Coated straps

Just Stock Fun For Now!!!!
Boomer914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
siriusjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPoseur View Post
Mine was at least at the top of the sight glass when I got it.
It's not supposed to be at the top of the glass, it should be about half way between the 2 marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPoseur View Post
My owner's manual does not say 3.4 quarts, it says 3.9, which is 3.7 liters.
Read your manual again. 3.9 quarts is only correct when the engine has been torn down for a rebuild and it is bone dry.

The proper amount for a normal oil+filter change is 3.4 quarts, as I posted before. If you're putting in 3.9 quarts, you're using too much.
siriusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
It's not supposed to be at the top of the glass, it should be about half way between the 2 marks.

Read your manual again. 3.9 quarts is only correct when the engine has been torn down for a rebuild and it is bone dry.

The proper amount for a normal oil+filter change is 3.4 quarts, as I posted before. If you're putting in 3.9 quarts, you're using too much.
Huh, my owner's manual says 3.9 quarts and doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I've got a '10.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
siriusjoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Huh, my owner's manual says 3.9 quarts and doesn't qualify it one way or the other. I've got a '10.
Here's a screen shot from the 2007 VN900 Classic manual downloaded from Kawasaki's web site. 3.2 quarts if you don't change the filter, 3.4 quarts if you do change the filter, and 3.9 quarts if the engine is dry.

This info is also stamped on the engine itself, near the oil filler hole, or at least it was on my '07.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
siriusjoe
Banned

I just checked the 2010 Classic LT manual and the oil change info is exactly the same as what I posted above, but it's on page 99 instead of page 87.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
markstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTap View Post
Just for FYI, there are many threads that eccomend against Fram filters
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
markstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement