Classic 900 ideal windshield heights? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
Chas63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorblurps View Post
The feedback on my post is wonderful. Thanks to you all for your input, as it helps me make the decision on windshield size.

HOWEVER, I am now wondering if I would be better off spending a little bit more for a batwing fairing. I know many riders on here have them and it seems you get a lot more protection from a fairing. My only concern is how high it may come up, seeing that it's opaque.

Anyone with a batwing fairing, please chime in! Windshield vs fairing
I have a batwing fairing on my 2005 Electra Glide Classic and I can tell you without question that the fairing does a much better job of blocking the wind and rain than even the largest windshield. Once you get used to riding behind a nice, large fairing, you get spoiled about riding behind ANY windshield....... particularly the puny ones. I'd almost rather have NO windshield as to have one of the puny ones. JMO.
Started riding motorcycles in 1963.
Chas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
Chas63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinba View Post
I'm 5' 8" and with the OEM Classic LT windshield I have to look through the windshield. I wear glasses and sunglasses and have a face shield on the helmut. I'm looking through 4 layers of plastic. I found when I sat up really high and looked over the windshield it really made a difference in visibility. I ended up cutting 3 inches cut off the windshield so I could look over it sitting normally. World of difference in visibility and absolutely no increase in buffeting or any other negative effects. When I took the windshield in to the Plastics Manufacturing place to have it cut I also took in my sister's aftermarket windshield she had installed on her Honda Spirit. The guy told me my windshield was Lexan and that her's was Acrylic. He replaced her's with Lexan at no extra charge beyound the price to cut in down 2". He told me that no motorcycle windshield should be made from Acrylic as it was too brittle a material for a windshield. I guess some of the aftermarket manufacturers use Acrylic because it's cheaper. He charged my $35 to cut down the winshield and made a perfect job.
Glasses, sunglasses, a face shield, and a windshield!!!!!! Man, are you afraid of something hitting you in the face or something? Perhaps if you lost a couple of those intermediate layers of plastic, you wouldn't have to chop up your windshield. BTW, I wouldn't give much credence to the guy who said that acrylic windshields were too brittle. There are probably 10 million or more people who would say otherwise.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #23
csleaman

Quote:
Yesterday we rode to a dealership just to have somewhere to ride, and of course to look at Vulcan accessories. They had a 15" Memphis Shades Slim windshield with the black gradient that when held up to my bike looked pretty awesome. The top of the windshield was below my eye level, which I thought was ideal. I don't care about looking through a windshield while driving; in fact I think I would prefer not to. I simply want some protection from the wind at high speeds to reduce fatigue, and of course save my helmet shield from bug splatter

Since I'm relatively new to motorcycling, and even newer to the Vulcan Classic I was wondering if anyone out there has a Memphis Shade Slim windshield. If so, what height did you go with?

Any thoughts or suggestions on windshield heights?

Just to throw it out there, I am about 5'8", (so no problem flat-footing the bike at stops) and proportionate, so my torso isn't long and my legs short or vice versa. As I mentioned, the 15" windshield 'appeared' to be about nose level or below when I was sitting on the bike. The guy I was working with said most people try to avoid a windshield where the top hits them at eye level since you either have to look through it or over it and are constantly adjusting their heads to do so.

I'm just a new girl (utterly addicted to my Vulcan) with plenty of questions, and always open to suggestions, feedback, and helpful hints!

I have that shield on my 900 classic lt.When I get ready to replace it I'm going to the Memphis fat and next taller I'm 5 7.
csleaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #24
MidIA900LT

I have the 900 Clasic LT the top of the WS was right at my line of sight and was having to constantle adjust seating posture to look over or thru it and I found myself wanting to look over it more often than not and when cought in a rain looking thru it was almost impossable. I sat on the bike in riding possition and put a short piece of narrow masking tape at about the possition I wanted to look over and ride the bike around the block to give me an idea of the height after conferming I took the screen off the mike traced the top burviture of the screen on a piece of poster board and masked off the entire ws wit paper and tape and retraced the line fron the poster board back on to the taped WS and headed for my bandsawand cot off 1.5" sanded the cut edge with 180 than 220 sandpaper and remounted WS its perfect for me to just see over the top
MidIA900LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
steve900c

Default batwing = better hand protection...

Quote:
The feedback on my post is wonderful. Thanks to you all for your input, as it helps me make the decision on windshield size.

HOWEVER, I am now wondering if I would be better off spending a little bit more for a batwing fairing. I know many riders on here have them and it seems you get a lot more protection from a fairing. My only concern is how high it may come up, seeing that it's opaque.

Anyone with a batwing fairing, please chime in! Windshield vs fairing
If you want any sort of hand protection from wind, rain, and bugs, then you have three choices:
1. a batwing (this was my choice, for both looks and protection reasons)
2. MS Fats or Slim, then add their new "Side wings" (nice for protection and can be removed easily in warm weather)
3. National Cycle makes handguards that mount from the mirror stalks. I've seen these on a V-star at a local dealer and they look like they'd work really well.

My batwing, with 9" shield, lets me (5'8") look over the top by ~1.5" or so (depending on my posture!). As others have said, there's other shield height options from MS. The opaque part of the batwing is well out of your view.

As for the looking over/thru debate, it's all what you're comfortable with, but the first time you're hundreds of miles from home on a weekend ride and a big juicy bug goes splat right in your field of view, you'll know why IMHO looking over is better than through...
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #26
mayorblurps

Can thank y'all (yes, y'all) enough for the windshield and fairing feedback.

I love the look of a fairing but I am just a little worried it may take away too much of my view of the road, and that's something I'm too new to handle at this point. I am a confident and good driver, but for now the more I can see the better.

I think I will end up with the Memphis slim or fats, 15" height. I liked the look of the slim better on my bike, but if the fats provides better wind coverage for the body then that's what I will go with. And the black fade on the bottom of these shields just adds to the looks of the bike.

As I said earlier, I prefer a clear, open and undistorted view of the road ahead which is a good reason why I want a windshield I can see over at all times, but look through if necessary. Glad to know I'm not alone, though I understand completely why those like a windshield to look through.

Thanks again....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
Highway Hawk Extreme Fat Bar (black)
Mustang seat with backrest
Klock Werks Kontour Fairing
Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlight
Kuryakyn Constellation Light bar
Tsukayu hardbags
mayorblurps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #27
Graybush
Top Contributor

Quote:
I love the look of a fairing but I am just a little worried it may take away too much of my view of the road, and that's something I'm too new to handle at this point.
Unless you're really short it shouldn't be an issue. I think most people would agree that you should be seeing things long before they get that close to the front wheel anyway. If you measure the same you as you did for the windshield, the top of the fairing itself comes up about 7.5" from the top of the speedo bezel.

The camera used for this picture was mounted on top of my helmet so you get a higher POV than normal but you can still see that you should have good visibility over/around/under the fairing. I've considered sticking a GoPro mount on my helmet's chin bar right in front of my mouth so I can give a better depiction but haven't done it yet. Anyway, I have some videos on youtube, taken from the same perspective as the picture, with the camera on top of my helmet. Not perfect but should give you an idea. I have a 34" sitting height (top of my head is 34" above the floor while sitting) and the camera is roughly 4" above the top of my head.

In this picture, the camera was sitting on the passenger seat.

The fairing itself does have room for a little, very little, up/down adjustment but on the Classic it's limited by how close you can get it to the headlight. At first I worried about limiting my view but after putting it on realized it's really a non-issue. Unless you're really short, in which case it might be.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
mayorblurps

Graybear, you have no idea how much those views helped!! I can look at the fairing from the front of a bike all day long, but being able to see it from the driver's seat made all the difference.

Ordering my batwing fairing kit today

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App
Highway Hawk Extreme Fat Bar (black)
Mustang seat with backrest
Klock Werks Kontour Fairing
Kuryakyn Phase 7 LED headlight
Kuryakyn Constellation Light bar
Tsukayu hardbags
mayorblurps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Chas63

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
As for the looking over/thru debate, it's all what you're comfortable with, but the first time you're hundreds of miles from home on a weekend ride and a big juicy bug goes splat right in your field of view, you'll know why IMHO looking over is better than through...
So you'd rather get hit in the eye than have the bug hit your windshield?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
Vandy

Garage

Has anyone fit a fairing with an oem vulcan windshield?????
But I was treated mercifully because I didn’t know what I was doing—didn’t know Who I was doing it against! Grace mixed with faith and love poured over me and into me. And all because of Jesus. Here’s a word you can take to heart and depend on: Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners. I’m proof—Public Sinner Number One—of someone who could never have made it apart from sheer mercy.

1Tim 1, MESS Bible

2006 Vulcan900 Classic
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement