Fuel Mileage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
sage1965

Default Fuel Mileage

We had a nice day here in Tn. Sat. so we took a 200 mi. leisurely ride. I was surprised when I fueled up. I was only getting 45 mpg. and I usually avg. about 53 mpg. Bike seemed to be running right and I haven't made any mods. I used regular gas no Ethanol. Has me puzzled...
sage1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

wow big drop! Love to see what you find

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:
http://www.youtube.com/user/erniechiasson
Here is another Hobby of mine model boats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATi_sSJOvs
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Bear2123
Top Contributor

I suspect that with a cold weather lay off that you might have been exercising the right wrist a bit more than your usual. It happens to the best of us.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
MINI NSX

Could be the winter blend gasoline. We had a thread on here about this a while back. Most see a drop in mileage in the winter.
MINI NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Chas63

That relatively small variance could be due to a lot of things. Different volatility of the gasoline. Imprecise measurement of "full" from one fill-up to the next. Riding faster. Riding into the wind. Riding more aggressively. Riding double vs single. And several other things.

Personally, I never bother to check my gas mileage unless maybe when I first get the bike just out of curiosity. Other than that, I just don't care as long as the bike is running good.
Started riding motorcycles in 1963.
Chas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Luciferiad
Top Contributor

Garage

+1 on winter blend fuel. They mix it strong enough here than you can expect to lose 4-5 mpg in a car. Worth it for not having a frozen fuel line, tho.

"There is only one God, and His name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: 'not today.'"
Luciferiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
leonardgray

Garage

I'm hoping it's the winter blend fuel. Seen my mileage in the crapper for a couple of months, and really haven't changed my riding style any.
leonardgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

My milage always drops off in the winter. A year ago last memorial day, a friend and I rode to Ohio for the weekend. On the way up, our mileage gradually dropped off, and then we picked it back up coming back. Me on my 800, mileage went from around 48 down to about 33. Cory on his Sportster dropped even more from 54 down to 30. We figure it was the winter blending of the gas.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
MINI NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardgray View Post
I'm hoping it's the winter blend fuel. Seen my mileage in the crapper for a couple of months, and really haven't changed my riding style any.
They add butane in the winter and take it out the summer. Butane helps the gasoline light off easier in the cold weather.
MINI NSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas63 View Post
Personally, I never bother to check my gas mileage unless maybe when I first get the bike just out of curiosity. Other than that, I just don't care as long as the bike is running good.
+1 Can't remember when I last checked mine. The bike is running so well now I just enjoy it no matter what the mileage may tell me. But, I seem to put the same amount of fuel in at about the same mileage mark. So I know it hasn't changed.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement