Why Not a Vulcan 1200?? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
The Harley Sportster engine is just like those older engines I was referring to though. Little has changed in that motor except for the addition of Fuel Injection a couple years ago. Thus, it's more affected by small changes in displacement than a 900cc Vulcan engine.

A 1200 would have more performance, but it would be nominal. You wouldn't really 'feel' it. It probably wouldn't be worth the cost for most riders. The engine itself would be much more complicated to increase to 1200ccs of displacement than a sporty motor, and keeping two bikes like that in the line doesn't make a lot of sense.

Harley has a lot more riders than Kawasaki does though, and that needs to be kept in mind too. Harley can more easily keep the 883 and 1200 sportster lines, and the various upgrades and kits for the two.

And, like it or not, it has to make business sense. Adding a 1200 to the lineup would fragment the line, and would hurt the marketability of the line (For aforementioned reasons). Having fewer bikes on the line that fill more uses makes for more marketable machines, because there are a lot more available accessories and such for those bikes. One big advantage HD has over Metrics, is the fact that they are infinitely customizable thanks to their relatively small line (only a few actual chassis, they put several models on one of a couple chassis, not unlike Kawasaki), immense popularity, and incremental changes over the years (HD rarely radically changes anything. There are a number of parts on a 2012 big twin that can be replaced with parts from the 80's!). Thus, it makes sense for a third party, like Kuryakyn for example, to build parts for their line.

If Kawasaki, which has less riders than Harley, fragmented the line with new models, these third party companies would likely not see it a smart business decision to build as many accessories for Kawasaki. With two bikes on the line, you have a lot of riders on just two models (ultimately). Most 900 accessories fit most 900's, etc. Thus, you get a third party market that makes the line viable.

One of my favorite things about the 900 is that it IS an extremely popular bike, meaning I get a LOT of options for accessories and the like!

I'm not saying a 1200 Kawasaki would be a bad bike, I'm just saying it wouldn't be a good solution for the company, and it would present drawbacks to itself and the rest of the line that wouldn't be worth the very mild difference in performance and otherwise. REPLACING the 900 with a 1200 perhaps, but again the magic number is 1000. Being under that keeps insurance and the like very cheap!

Also, cost IS a primary factor in a lot of sporty riders upping to the 1200. Getting on a big twin is not a low cost investment by any means. However, you CAN get on a Vulcan 1700, in fact, you can do it for about the price of a Sportster 1200! So, there again, most of us would rather spend the money on the 1700 (or the V2K may he rest in peace!). In fact I've seen used 1700 classics flirt with used 900 prices. There just wouldn't be a reason to 'upgrade' to the 1200, so it would just be a fragment of buyers choosing either the 900 or 1200 as a first bike (or a 'last' bike, as it's very popular among an older crowd that wants a lighter and easier bike, or even a 'cheap' bike as I can vouch for it's viability as even a long distance tourer but at a low initial cost, low cost to insure, and low cost to maintain), and then upgrading to the 1700.
Yeah try finding extras for a V2K. More and more accessories are going on close out everyday. You do not have much of a selection of extras since they have went out of production and it is only getting smaller.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage
Default Wheeeewwww

Hey Romans: do you have Speech recognition software? Maybe a Speech-to-text reporter? Wow dude you sure can type!!!
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post
Hey Romans: do you have Speech recognition software? Maybe a Speech-to-text reporter? Wow dude you sure can type!!!
-----
It's built into mac OS X but I never use it but because you mentioned that I want ahead and try to do with this paragraph

Let's see how it turns out
-----
^ Actually it works pretty decently except for not being smart enough to include commas! And that's with the built in Microphone too! heh!

But to answer your question, I type at about 100wpm so it's really easy for my posts to get a little long winded, sorry about that! I like to write, and I like to talk, so those two things come together on a forum and you get a couple thousand too-long posts that way! haha.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
-----
It's built into mac OS X but I never use it but because you mentioned that I want ahead and try to do with this paragraph

Let's see how it turns out
-----
^ Actually it works pretty decently except for not being smart enough to include commas! And that's with the built in Microphone too! heh!

But to answer your question, I type at about 100wpm so it's really easy for my posts to get a little long winded, sorry about that! I like to write, and I like to talk, so those two things come together on a forum and you get a couple thousand too-long posts that way! haha.
I mentioned once in a Wicked Thread that I do appreciate your honesty...or was it Humbleness? Whatever, I do know how to speed read!! lol
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

uh oh, looks like we got an "I Nerd" amongst us. j/k
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
uh oh, looks like we got an "I Nerd" amongst us. j/k
Yeah you caught me. I'm secretly a bit of an Apple fan Think I should put an Apple sticker on my bike? I have a stack of 'em.

Been a Mac user for a long time, though I use Windows PC's as well. Most of the time I use my MacBook Pro though, and I have a 27" Apple Cinema display that I hook it up to and use it like that alot. 2560x1440 resolution!

Here's a fun fact though. After every post I make I always read it from the beginning. I spot typo's and things that way (or sometimes you type something because it sounds right when you're typing it but then it makes no sense when you read it). So I feel all of your pain who actually read my novels

Last edited by Romans5.8; 01-07-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Yeah you caught me. I'm secretly a bit of an Apple fan Think I should put an Apple sticker on my bike? I have a stack of 'em.

Been a Mac user for a long time, though I use Windows PC's as well. Most of the time I use my MacBook Pro though, and I have a 27" Apple Cinema display that I hook it up to and use it like that alot. 2560x1440 resolution!

Here's a fun fact though. After every post I make I always read it from the beginning. I spot typo's and things that way (or sometimes you type something because it sounds right when you're typing it but then it makes no sense when you read it). So I feel all of your pain who actually read my novels
Such Resolutions are nice. I have a Dell U2711 27" monitor I use at work that will push the same resolution Paired up with the el cheapo 19" that came with the machine. It will get you spoiled, quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
Such Resolutions are nice. I have a Dell U2711 27" monitor I use at work that will push the same resolution Paired up with the el cheapo 19" that came with the machine. It will get you spoiled, quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Yes they do. Unfortunately, I have the ONE graphics card in AMD/ATi's entire lineup in my PC that has a bug that doesn't allow it to support mini Displayport (using ANY adapter). Which means I can't hook it up to my Cinema Display! Drives me nuts!

You do get spoiled with all of the screen real estate. You can have several windows on one screen and be able to actually get work done in each. I have it coupled with a cheapie 23".

Old 01-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
Chas63

I guess I'm not very good at getting my point across. I will concede that a 1200 cc Vulcan would burn a little more gas and the insurance cost would be a little more than a 900, but as far as accessories are concerned, there would be ZERO difference. At least, that's the way it is with the Harley 883 and 1200 Sportsters.

If you want mufflers, floorboards, windshields, handlegrips, saddlebags, seats, chrome air cleaners, or whatever.......... if it will fit on a 883 (or 900), then it will fit just the same on a 1200.

And, since the 1200 has considerably more hp than the 883, they can (and do) make the gearing a little taller on the 1200 to make it better suited for highway use without the need to go to a 6th gear in the transmission.

In effect, going to a 1200 instead of a 900 would mean much better performance, greater acceleration (particularly if riding double), easier highway cruising, and still have the same size, weight, and handling characteristics as the current 900. Plus, any accessory that you would want to put on the 1200 would be exactly the same product as what you now put on your 900. For the very slight increase in gas consumption and slight increase in insurance costs, I would choose the 1200 and never look back. Just my 2 cents. Obviously, some are convinced that the 900 is nearly perfect and can't be improved.

Chas
Chas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #20
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas63 View Post
I guess I'm not very good at getting my point across. I will concede that a 1200 cc Vulcan would burn a little more gas and the insurance cost would be a little more than a 900, but as far as accessories are concerned, there would be ZERO difference. At least, that's the way it is with the Harley 883 and 1200 Sportsters.

If you want mufflers, floorboards, windshields, handlegrips, saddlebags, seats, chrome air cleaners, or whatever.......... if it will fit on a 883 (or 900), then it will fit just the same on a 1200.

And, since the 1200 has considerably more hp than the 883, they can (and do) make the gearing a little taller on the 1200 to make it better suited for highway use without the need to go to a 6th gear in the transmission.

In effect, going to a 1200 instead of a 900 would mean much better performance, greater acceleration (particularly if riding double), easier highway cruising, and still have the same size, weight, and handling characteristics as the current 900. Plus, any accessory that you would want to put on the 1200 would be exactly the same product as what you now put on your 900. For the very slight increase in gas consumption and slight increase in insurance costs, I would choose the 1200 and never look back. Just my 2 cents. Obviously, some are convinced that the 900 is nearly perfect and can't be improved.

Chas
I get what you are saying and would be good to have a bike of that size with taller gearing and a bit more HP/TQ. I just don't see it as being marketable inside of Kawasaki's line up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement