Best mid-cruiser vulcan vs. phantom???? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #21
peteyg

I test rode most brands before buying my 2006 vn900 classic. Bang for the buck.. Vulcan. Not without issues.. I replaced the pulleys (scootworks) and fixed the gas gauge. After farkling it to suit my cruising needs, I have a bike I can ride with confidence anywhere. East Coast-West coast, no problems. (Mustang seat) then windscreen, luggage rack and saddle bags. I could use another gear, but for standard cruising hands down the most comfortable, affordable, and easy to handle. I have other bikes but this is the one my wife will ride with me on. Yes its 7 years old, but looks and rides as new.

1969 BSA Lightning under reconstruction, complete teardown and rebuild adventure.
peteyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
diamondhill

I bought my 2011 two months ago with 280 Mi (now 700Mi) for 5,600 out the door and I think it was a good deal.
diamondhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyg View Post
. Yes its 7 years old, but looks and rides as new.
Mine is 7 Years old with 31000 miles on it rides and looks new!! These 900 age very well if taken care of

Check my Garage

Easy Mods
Crash Bars,Rear Tail Lights in Bags,Cooler bag on Sisy Bar,hand made Bag on Windshield,Wally world Cup Holder,Lower Shields,Gas Tank Bib,Baron Front Pulley

**Bikers are hard to find, Bikes are a Dime a Dozen**

My Second Hobby:
http://www.youtube.com/user/erniechiasson
Here is another Hobby of mine model boats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATi_sSJOvs
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I rather suspect that you would be disappointed in the Honda. As was mentioned, it's beautiful but gutless. Probably a great beginner's learner bike, but you'd be wanting for power right at the get go. The Vulcan 900, OTOH, is a great bike, powerwise and otherwise. And it can be easily and reasonably modded to suit you. You can make it louder, or not, give it a bit more power with a tuner and higher flow air kit, lower the rpms a bit with a 200 series rear tire or different pully, etc., etc....

Do consider buying used, especially this time of the year, as many folks are wanting to unload what they have, and it's a slow time for bike sales. And used prices are great. The price your dealer quoted for the demo bike isn't bad, but not wonderful, either. The only upside is that all the necessary maintenance will have been done to this bike, so you would get it with the assurance that it has been taken care of. Buying from a private party can be a pig in a poke experience, and it's a buyer beware situation. Just look it over thoroughly and if possible, see about having a mechanic you trust take a look at it. It might cost a few $$$, but is worth it if it lets you know not to buy that particular bike.

In the end, I recommend the Vulcan over just about any other similar sized cruiser available, and especially the Honda. At best, it's good for around town where you aren't going to be going at any speed. On the highway, IMO, it's a loser. The Vulcan is good for any duty.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
vulcancruiser34

hey guys, great continued feedback. and great photos, you guys got some nice looking 9's.

Strom pilot, what did you mean by 'IMO', its a loser on the highway?
I appreciate your personal feed back on the shadow, power was a concern for me as much as maintence.

The maintence schedule link was great,and thanks to that member. It mentioned valve check maintence, none of you have mentioned that they need to get serviced ever??? so I think its more overrated and probably have to drive it really hard over time to have to service the top part of the motor, but still would be expensive. I know i have never read the phantom in need of that during its schedule, but I should prob. check that out at the dealer.

I appreciate that 09'vuclan for sale post, only 523k?for 5k, could that be true???I am sure I can do a car/bike fax on it to make sure, the thing is the bikes def. has been sitting and dont know if the fluids have been takin out during its storage, it could be more of a headache if it has problems?
thanks.
vulcancruiser34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #26
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

IMO. "In My Opinion"
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
WhiteWi
BOTM Winner, March 2013

Garage

Coming from Honda 750 Aero to 900 custom I felt the difference right away. It feels better at higher speeds and it is easier to make sharp turns on it. But if u don't care about that and like the looks of the phantom go for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Motorcycle.com Free App
WhiteWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #28
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcancruiser34 View Post
hey guys, great continued feedback. and great photos, you guys got some nice looking 9's.

Strom pilot, what did you mean by 'IMO', its a loser on the highway?
I appreciate your personal feed back on the shadow, power was a concern for me as much as maintence.

The maintence schedule link was great,and thanks to that member. It mentioned valve check maintence, none of you have mentioned that they need to get serviced ever??? so I think its more overrated and probably have to drive it really hard over time to have to service the top part of the motor, but still would be expensive. I know i have never read the phantom in need of that during its schedule, but I should prob. check that out at the dealer.

I appreciate that 09'vuclan for sale post, only 523k?for 5k, could that be true???I am sure I can do a car/bike fax on it to make sure, the thing is the bikes def. has been sitting and dont know if the fluids have been takin out during its storage, it could be more of a headache if it has problems?
thanks.
That's correct, IMO=In My Opinion.
If you are referring to my comment about the Honda being a "loser," it means just that. With flea power you'd be wanting for more power right away. I think that it would actually be strained and at it's upper limits of power at highway speeds, and wouldn't be a very satisfying ride. My approach is to get what you want and need, rather than settle for a compromise. That way you will be happy with your ride.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #29
vulcancruiser34

....I ve been thinking if I do go 2-4 yrs used on either bike, yes I get a good price probably half of msrp 8k to 4k, but it will have at least 10k, and might need new tires,brakes/tune up, belt etc,. down the road and if you add that up that could be 2k right there...so i am leaning 12,13' right now in the 7k-8k range.....once i decide on either bike.

Any word on valve maintenance on the vulcan, saw the manual says after 36months, havent heard u guys mention it at all and could be exp.?

any suggestions on oil reg, synthetic or blend and how long you have to change, pretty new to that. I know 4cars synthetic could be 6k....when u have to change it.
Also, any advice on short pipes vance/hines or cobra or another brand, i heard their like 500$ but the installation is easy. not a big fan of the stock noise and dont want to debaffle them and butcher the original pipes...what you guys think? thanks
vulcancruiser34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #30
fawlty99
Top Contributor

I narrowed my choice down to the Yam Star and the VN900 and just went with whatever turned up used in the right used price/condition. I ended up with a VN and am very satisfied. You won't go wrong with either but imo they are better than the Honda & HD. The VN is the best looking mid-size by a country mile. A Suzuki Boulevard should also be considered above both HD & Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement