Something Darksiders Don't Want To Acknowledge - Page 18 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #171
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I was just thumbing through the STAR Touring site I belong to and another Yamaha site at the car tire threads. (as I have several Yamahas) It's funny, but in those threads about car tires it's all about what size and or brand do I need, how long have you ran them, I have a (insert motorcycle model here) and want to try one. Not a single "you will all go to hell if you use a car tire" person....

You want to see people talk about car tires go into a Goldwing forum.... I see more of them on Wings than any other scoot.

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 01-03-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #172
The Heater
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by george james View Post
And all that may be true....where is one single bit of proof that there is an issue. Has any one experienced a problem such as this (1st hand knowledge only)? Thousands, 10's of thousands prolly 100's of thousands success stories and i haven't heard of this being an issue. I'm not saying it can't or doesn't happen, just that it is not a known problem.
Only reason you don't hear from those with an issue with the car tires is simple: They're dead!

Car tires on bikes are a bad idea, period. They are engineered for four wheels and a completely different driving geometry and suspension behavior. The contact patch is severely compromised on turns. For those who use them all I can say is: do you know what "denial" means? It means "don't even know I am lying (to myself)". And you dark siders are in some serious denial. So it doesn't matter how much the facts hit you in the forehead, just like all the smokers out there, you aren't quittin'.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 AM   #173
george james

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heater View Post
Only reason you don't hear from those with an issue with the car tires is simple: They're dead!

Car tires on bikes are a bad idea, period. They are engineered for four wheels and a completely different driving geometry and suspension behavior. The contact patch is severely compromised on turns. For those who use them all I can say is: do you know what "denial" means? It means "don't even know I am lying (to myself)". And you dark siders are in some serious denial. So it doesn't matter how much the facts hit you in the forehead, just like all the smokers out there, you aren't quittin'.
That is typical talk from you guys that have your head up your ....fill in .. never tried it have you? If not ......well you know.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #174
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post

Also, (while I use both brakes to reduce my speed) aren't the Voyager brakes linked above 10 mph? I guess I should read up on the specs; I just assumed they were pre-set to 70-30.

Scott

I believe only the ABS bikes have linked brakes. When you apply the rear brake you get some braking on one rotor up front. When you apply the front brake you do get some rear braking as well.

I like it because I don't have to move my right foot if I don't want to, but if I need to slow down quickly both brakes need to be applied.

see my garage for list of accessories
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #175
tstorey823
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I believe only the ABS bikes have linked brakes. When you apply the rear brake you get some braking on one rotor up front. When you apply the front brake you do get some rear braking as well.

I like it because I don't have to move my right foot if I don't want to, but if I need to slow down quickly both brakes need to be applied.
I'm not sure if you are referring to ALL bikes or just the VV, but I know that linked brakes are on all Honda VTX 1800 models, but ABS is not an option. I believe all Honda GL1800's have linked brakes, and ABS is included in one of their "packages".
Old 01-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #176
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

I haven't done an in depth search, but all I can find from Ma Kaw is something like "...balances input to ideal pressure for front and back...".
I guess it doesn't really matter. If I have to make an emergency stop; I'm not putting my trust in linked brakes anyway.

I use my rear brake alone for slow speed maneuvers.
Other than that I have gotten into the habit of just putting my foot on the pedal when shaving off speed.
More of a 'muscle memory training' than anything else.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #177
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
If I have to make an emergency stop; I'm not putting my trust in linked brakes anyway.
I think that's wise. It's one of those things that's Just a Good Habit. Flying over the handlebars hurts.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #178
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Yes.

To a degree.

There must be a functional relationship between the aftermarket part and the warranted item.
Bob's example of a damaged fender meets the requirements; a cracked head does not.

If you put non oem speakers in and your radio gets damaged they COULD use that to deny a warranty claim.
If you use a non oem luggage rack and your sissy bar gets damaged they COULD use that to deny a claim.
If you use non oem pulleys and your gearbox gets damaged they COULD use that to deny a claim.
But, you never see the warranty nay-sayers warning of doom and gloom on those threads.

I always like looking at the pics of the bikes in the BOTM threads. They are beautiful machines!
I don't think I have ever seen warranty concerns expressed over how modified those machines are.

I wonder why that is?

Scott
Where did I say anything materially different than this?

Moreso to the point, a broken radio is hardly worth gloom and doom consideration. Tires, on the other hand...

Last edited by whoaru99; 01-04-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #179
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I think that's wise. It's one of those things that's Just a Good Habit. Flying over the handlebars hurts.
At 900lbs; I don't think I could get my bike to do a "heelie".
And the ABS should keep the front wheel from locking up causing a low side.

Theoretically; if the brakes were ABS and linked @ 70-30, that would be the perfect ratio and you could just mash the pedal or grab the lever as hard as you can for the best possible stop.

However; technology can fail, and I may find myself riding a bike without ABS or linked brakes someday.
In that situation; I want muscle memory to put my foot on the pedal.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #180
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
It's likely not worth pursuing. Follow the money. Who stands to benefit from research that might conclude that car tires are safe or have performance advantages? Riders, sure, but whose gonna foot the bill? I doubt you'll get a bunch of riders to 'chip in' to some research, if they are going to do it, they'll do it anyway, with or without the research right?
That may be an an incorrect interpretation of my post. My intent was about investigation whether or not part "X" contributed to a failure, therefore whether or not the failure would be covered by warranty.

For example, we have empirical evidence that shows if you don't use a hydraulic filter of certain specifications, or better, the hydraulic system will not remain below the cleanliness levels necessary to prevent premature wear.

We private label an off the shelf filter that meets or exceeds this spec, and that same filter is available private labeled under different brands as well. So, you don't have to use "our" filter. However, it's an expensive filter no matter who you buy it from. Then there are other filters people have found that "will fit" the filter assembly and are much cheaper, but don't keep the system adequately clean. This can be a very expensive lesson in frugality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread