Vaquero front end wobble - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #41
ksblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
You have a name and part number for the tapered bearing? And price? Sounds like a good fix...
Riding for 45 years and NEVER replaced a wheel or swing arm or front fork neck race bearing. Reduce that sail on your handle bars and enjoy what a cycle is about and you won't be wobbling around.
ksblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #42
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Default Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksblaster View Post
Riding for 45 years and NEVER replaced a wheel or swing arm or front fork neck race bearing. Reduce that sail on your handle bars and enjoy what a cycle is about and you won't be wobbling around.
This past summer I changed out the steering / front fork bearings in my Grandsons, new to him, '79 Kaw 650C3. With 78K miles on the odo, the steering felt "notchy". Especially at speed or in higher speed corners. When I pulled it apart what grease was there was dried, caked up and holding the powder from the beaten & destroyed bearings. Cleaned & reassembled with new bearings/races and the steering is smooth and steady at all speeds, on the straights and in the corners. It's a known fact that mechanical things do fail and moving parts do require lubrication. His bike obviously needed preventative / routine maint. that wasn't in the POs priorities.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #43
ksblaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
This past summer I changed out the steering / front fork bearings in my Grandsons, new to him, '79 Kaw 650C3. With 78K miles on the odo, the steering felt "notchy". Especially at speed or in higher speed corners. When I pulled it apart what grease was there was dried, caked up and holding the powder from the beaten & destroyed bearings. Cleaned & reassembled with new bearings/races and the steering is smooth and steady at all speeds, on the straights and in the corners. It's a known fact that mechanical things do fail and moving parts do require lubrication. His bike obviously needed preventative / routine maint. that wasn't in the POs priorities.
I have never kept a cycle past 20K, Except a KZ1000 junker (I thought) that I paid $400 for with 54,000 mi. I tortured, beat, raced that bike for4 yrs.
ksblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #44
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Many posts here about suspicious wobbles being traced to head bearings. it's well worth the investigation. New tires may be tugging on the forks differantly and highlight a previously unknown but existing problem. With 6400 miles on the odo (did I read that right?), it's doubtful, but again worth the investigation. With that mileage is it still under some warranty?
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
Boomer914

Please people just replace head bearings and get it over with. It's cheap and easy. I've replied to so many posts about these bearings. It happens on a lot of bikes and its more common then for tires to do it or if a wheel is outta balance. Wobbles are different then shakes. In my opinion everyone should change out for tapered anyways.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App
Ride 'till

Vulcan 1600 classic
Memphis shades 19'' Black E-Coated straps

Just Stock Fun For Now!!!!
Boomer914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #46
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer914 View Post
Please people just replace head bearings and get it over with. It's cheap and easy. I've replied to so many posts about these bearings. It happens on a lot of bikes and its more common then for tires to do it or if a wheel is outta balance. Wobbles are different then shakes. In my opinion everyone should change out for tapered anyways.

I replaced the tires and my bike is 100% wobble free, if the bearings were a problem, the wobble would still be there............right?
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #47
Boomer914

Tyres can definitely improve tracking. Where are your pressures?

Ride 'till

Vulcan 1600 classic

Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #48
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Tyres can definitely improve tracking. Where are your pressures?

Tire Pressure is spot on and BTW thewobble never existed on the previous tires over 8,000 miles on them, started as soon as the Commanders went on and was gone as soon as they were replaced.
It's the tires!
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #49
Boomer914

What are your exact pressures?

Ride 'till

Vulcan 1600 classic

Old 01-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #50
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
What are your exact pressures?

• Let's see, the wobble/shake never existed for 8000+ miles on the stock tires, 2-up or Solo
  • The stock tires were replaced with Commander II's, within 200 miles the bike wobbles/shakes 2-up or Solo
  • The Commander II's were replaced after less than 1000 miles on them and the wobble/shake is 100% gone. 2-up or Solo

Hmmm, now let me ponder those facts.........................OK, it was the tires
I'm done!
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement