Best mid-cruiser vulcan vs. phantom???? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
SteveJB
Top Contributor

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...2&lang_code=EN

That link should open the current owner's manual in pdf format. It's broken up into sections so you'll need to change to "Maintenance and Adjustment" to see the schedule.
SteveJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:24 PM   #12
colemantle
Top Contributor

I was in the same boat as you a year ago except I had a Vulcan 500 and was looking to upgrade. After months of research I narrowed it down to the vulcan 900 and the Yamaha 950. Air cooled vs liquid cooled was a big factor for me. Also I went and sat on the Yamaha and it just felt weird to me. Felt like I was on top of the bike and not part of it if that makes sense.

Finally went with the vulcan 900 and have no regrets. It does everything well but nothing great. Super low maintenance etc. Honestly I think my 500 was faster at least it felt like it but maybe only because I was new rider who knows. You cannot go wrong with a Vulcan 900. One of the best bangs for the buck out there.
colemantle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
colemantle
Top Contributor

And rides two up no problem. I'm 215 and my girl is 140 and it cruises 70-75 with no problems as the high revs don't really bother me. Still some grunt left to get out of trouble but I'm not racing out there and don't care to.
colemantle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
DnKiKe

This link will resolve your doubt http://m.motorcycle-usa.com/10/6061/...-Shootout.aspx

Vulcan's The best in this segment.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Motorcycle.com Free App
DnKiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Cyclesarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcancruiser34 View Post
Thanks guys, keep your comments and advice coming, need all I can.

Used is great, but a dealer was offereing me a PRESS BIKE i believe 11 or 12 model vulcan 900 for $6k or so with 1k on it....I was worried that it was beat on already with these guys riding news articles on it and poundin it hard, but thats a great price i think as apposed to 8200$new 13' vulcan.....

anyway, what do you guys think of the uni-track rear suspension???? as oppposed to two shocks the phantom has. I heard the gas shock in the vulcan can run 175$ new not including labor, do you know how long they last???

I like that the vulcan 900 but still doing more homework. I think the phantom very low maintence including the shaft drive is a big plus. they both look great!

does anybody know city/highway mileage mpg? bc the vulcan is heavier, but both have efi, which i heard their at 50mpg???

thanks guys! happy newyear
Here, a BRAND new 2011 Classic is $6999 + $399 freight and set-up +DMV fees (which should be the same anyway). And this price is still negotiable this time of the year.
1000 miles = "used bike", depending on the other fees, that may be a fair deal, still not great.

Part of the thing I like about used "private party" deals is that there are no hidden fees. $4850 IS the "out the door price" also it's negotiable. This bike has been for sale for a couple months now, and if they are actually trying to sell, I'm sure they would take less, probably around half off of the $8200 for the '13 model.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcd/3516481470.html
Cyclesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #16
diamondhill

Quote:
thanks guys, especially Vandy. I heard the reviews on the phantom's suspension was not good and the vulcan's link held up good and looked much cleaner too....plus, the reason why I asked, is that I like to have my GF ride with me so that's added weight, me at 225 and her at 155. So I wanted to know if I would have to replace them sooner or if they would effect the ridge or ergo's? I 'd have to think at 50k, they have to go.

I appreciate it. I wonder if I can access the dealers suggested maintence (besides the oil/brakes) schedule on line or if anybody has the link for the vulcan 900??And the same for the phantom's maintence schedule, if you guys let me know?

Do you guys have any problems with used PRESS BIKES, the guy here has that vulcan with 1-2k for about 6500 but its been prob. ridden hard, and he's going to start the one year warranty from the minute I sign the deal...tempted. Its wierd how I havent encountered the same PRESS BIKE deal at the honda dealers for the phantom?

tks
$6,500 is way too much. Here is a good deal for you but it is in New Jersey.
2009, 573 Mi for $4,600 not bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item1c2ecfcce8
But just go and seat on one first. It depends how tall you are as well.
I got my Vulcan 900 a few months back and it is a totally different animal compared with my Honda Shadow 750. Now riding on 750 feels like a toy. Too short and not enough power. You get a lot of bang for your buck with VN900. Good luck
diamondhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #17
Dan66

As far as a fair deal. It kinda depends on how you want to spend your money. I think $6000 for a 2012 press bike with 1500 miles is not a bad deal. If you are talking an 11 or older or with more miles I think you can get a better deal. Also, I doubt the press bike is any more beat-up on than any other 1 year old bike, at least it wasn't a customer demo bike.

Also, my opinion on the 1-year warranty, it's not worth much at all. It is highly unlikely that you will even use it.

I bought my 08 in 11 with 2000 miles for $4500, which I think was a great deal
Dan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #18
Graybush
Top Contributor

Quote:
I appreciate it. I wonder if I can access the dealers suggested maintence (besides the oil/brakes) schedule on line or if anybody has the link for the vulcan 900??And the same for the phantom's maintence schedule, if you guys let me know?
I had an older Shadow 750 (01 ACE) and now have a 900 Classic. I didn't think either one was a maintenance hog. The only thing I had to do often was clean the chain which won't be an issue for you regardless. I know everybody has their thing they like to focus on but with the two bikes you mentioned, I wouldn't sweat how much you'll have to work on them. Other than routine, scheduled maintenance on this bike the only thing I've done is change one turn signal bulb. The rest has all been optional stuff like change the exhaust, add accessories, and such.

I know Honda has updated the 750 line in the last year or two. When I was shopping they hadn't done that which is why I didn't even consider getting another one. It's my understanding that they still have rear drum brakes. Maybe not a big deal to you, probably not a big deal overall, but having front and rear disc brakes on a bike this size and price isn't asking for much, at least to me. I also looked at the 950 but every time I sat on one it felt really top heavy. I'm sure I would have loved it if that's what I had gotten but I went with the Vulcan and don't have any regrets. Sometimes it seems like we don't choose the bike, the bike chooses us.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #19
silenthill
Top Contributor

I think the 9 is the definition of a cruiser. If you enjoy cruising, smelling the grass, flowers, hydro, whatever....the 9 does it perfectly. If you feel the need to rip around town, pulling stumps out of your neighbors back yard....choose another. The 9 does what it was made for.....gently cruising, slowing down on life.
Regards-SH.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
I think the 9 is the definition of a cruiser. If you enjoy cruising, smelling the grass, flowers, hydro, whatever....the 9 does it perfectly. If you feel the need to rip around town, pulling stumps out of your neighbors back yard....choose another. The 9 does what it was made for.....gently cruising, slowing down on life.
Regards-SH.
That is what the V2K is for .
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement