Which brake lock, or type of protection do you use? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Not a good idea to use WD40 for lock internals! WD40 will cause the lock to gum up from crud sticking to it, you could end up needing a locksmith to unlock it - no fun when it's riding time. Get some lock graphite instead.
Tennessee 16-A Chapter
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
kingscountynyc

Thanks Old Bear, just did a quick google search of lock graphite and that's exactly what I need. I didn't even think about how wd40 or machine oil might build up with dust/dirt. I was a few minutes away from stepping out the door too!
kingscountynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Byron

i would rather ues a disk lock. chain type can be cut with bolt cutters and or battery 4" grinder
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #14
twp

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog View Post
I think have an extra guard dog disklock... PM me and i will send it just cover shipping

BigDog how does the disklock work?

Thanks Tim
twp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
BigDog

there is a pin with a nob on the end. pin goes through the front brake disc and into the lock portion. very close to this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guard-5050-B...item588c917288
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Vulcan_tom
Banned

What about a Xena disc-lock under Products

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/
Vulcan_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
twp

Garage

Thanks BigDog I will have to see about getting one. Thanks again
twp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
red_leg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Not a good idea to use WD40 for lock internals! WD40 will cause the lock to gum up from crud sticking to it, you could end up needing a locksmith to unlock it - no fun when it's riding time. Get some lock graphite instead.
+1 Excellent point

'96 Vulcan 500LTD
'08 Vulcan 500LTD (wife's)
red_leg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
Yay! Thank you!

I've told this story a million times here but I'll tell it again. I used to work at the service desk in a hardware store in high school. I re-keyed and fixed locks (mostly for landlords needing to rekey locks after an eviction). Every. single. spring. I got a pile of gummed up locks that won't work, won't turn. Why? They used WD-40 when they started to get hard to turn in the winter. Come spring, dust, pollen, who-knows-what all got sucked in by WD-40's magical crud magnets. Take it all apart, clean it out, and lube with graphite. WD-40 is NOT, is NOT (it's not) a lubricant. It has it's uses, but it shouldn't be used to lubricate parts. Use a LUBRICANT to lubricate parts!

Like you, I recommend graphite for a lock. Works great, and doesn't get gummed up on all the tiny parts.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #20
blackbird68

After seeing that bike just picked up and taken away it makes me wonder, could you park closer to a post or something and chain it up to that?
blackbird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement