Craiges list warning - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
rick
Top Contributor

Garage
Default Craiges list warning

Got this from my Face Book page. Thought would share here. Maybe save someone here from the same thing happening to one of you.

THIS IS A WARNING ABOUT CRAIGSLIST. My Sisters fiance Steveo Dufresne went to meet a guy that had listed a Yamaha YZ250 blue dirt bike on Craigslist. His phone
number is 860-913-7345. He listed the bike for $1300, and he told him he was in Hartford, right outside of Windsor. Complete lie! Steve was robbed at gunpoint last night, and hit a couple times! He was robbed of $500 and his car keys, but it could have been much worse! He could have lost his life! If you see this ad on craigslist, please contact the Hartford Police Department ASAP! Please be careful when listing or buying anything from Craigslist. Do not do these transactions alone, and try to make the transaction in a public place! Please share this everywhere to help us catch this asshole!
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
siriusjoe
Banned

The Hartford police aren't capable of looking up 860-913-7345 to see who it belongs to?
siriusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
knightrider

Unfortunately, probably not. With the rise of tracphones and other cheap no contract phones criminals can basically buy a no strings attached phone. Fake name, etc. Its happening here in Wichita too.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
Dan66

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
The Hartford police aren't capable of looking up 860-913-7345 to see who it belongs to?
That only works for honest people. Phone was either a registered with a temporary SIM or is stolen.

There is a good lesson to be learned here about caution and good judgement. Hopefully Steven is all right.
Dan66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
BigDog

I always bring a friend and leave cash in the truck with the S&W
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
BlueridgeRider
El Jefe

Garage

Using things like Craigs list awlways has its risks, And I am glad that your friend only lost some money and wasnt hurt worse. I bought my bike from Craig's List and had a great transaction and was well satisfied with the outcome. I went to see the bike during the day with a friend in a public place. A little bit of caution goes a long way in todays world.
BlueridgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

I believe in general, most people are trustworthy, but there are just enough to make you need to be cautious.
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
101stFister

always carry more ammo than cash, and if i dont know the area i will show up early and check it out. its a sick world out there
computer thingy

May the road rise to meet you and the wind always be at your back
101stFister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
rburton1224

Garage

Thanks. I live in an area where crap like this happens. I will only go "packin'" from now on. A$$holes everyplace!
rburton1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Phil in Maine

Garage

Ive had quite a few craigslist transactions and never have really felt all that threatened at any point. Maybe its just a benefit of being in southern Maine.

The worst part of any craigslist transaction for me has been running into guys that want to tell you their life story and everything they know about the item I was looking at.
Advertisement