VN1500a v. VN1500c ???? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 12-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Luk N

Default VN1500a v. VN1500c ????

Can anybody on this forum tell Me if they Know of any appreciable Differences 'tween the 1500A and 1500C model engines on the Vulcan..

Luk
Luk N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
PatC
Lifetime Premium

I believe (I'm doing this from memory) the 1500As, Bs and Ls were dual carb and the old style V twin Kaw used to make.

Here's a 1500A

Here's a 1500B- as you can see, a modification in the air cleaners and a slightly different body styling

Here's the 1500 L

The C models switched to the more conventional Kaws we see today starting in 1996, the classic style.

here's a 1996 1500C:

Both the 1500C and D were four speed transmissions. The E series started in 1998 when they switched to a 5 speed transmission and went through 2007 when they switched to N. 2004 is the last year they made a 1500 with a carb.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
Luk N

Thanks Pat;

Thats a tad bit More info than I required, however its Most welcome and informative stuff I "Did Not know"! So from your meticulous break down what I gather is the main diff. 'tween the 1500 A & C engines is carb design, placement, Or ???,, was there some kinda radical 'engine to frame' bolt on "Change", Gawd I Hope Not!!!
Am I understanding from your info, a mod from Dual carbs/Dual aircleaners on A, B, & L 1500s to the single carb and centered aircleaner on the C (from the pics)1500, correct?
`Cause IF thats the only appreciable diff, then it Looks like I'm still ridin, I'll Just have to find a single carb and cleaner, as I've had to get a new(to My Vulcan) engine, and ALL I could find was/is a 1500c, where My biggest concern was a fear that the engine to frame bolt on had changed,, Anythang this conversation Might break loose in your memory on the 1500C I'd appreciate hearin from you.

Luk
Old 12-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

take a good look at those pics and you will see that swap is a no go.... pretty much the only thing those engines have in common is the displacement.....one quick visible clue is how the rear exhaust bolts on... on the A model it bolts to the left side, where as the C model it goes on the right side !! well it probably can be done but there will be a lot of work to it .
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Luk N

Thanks big`un, but I'd already noticed that, and readied Myself for it, found a used hines pipe off a 1500C that was given to Me(swap for Mine offa 1500A) and Kawasaki says the "engine/s" per the Lower caseing Numbers are a exact match, thus a fair swap.

Again thanks for the keen eye, and "Keep up the Good Fight",,, Luk
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #6
PatC
Lifetime Premium

The engine cases may be the same, but I'm not sure the size of the jugs on the newer motor will fit in the old 1500A frame or if the final drives will sync up. Also I don't know how different the location of the intake and fuel pump, filters, etc under the tank on the 1500C is different from the A. You will have to do some careful measuring. Of course, you can always alter the frame if you are a good fabricator or know one. The final drive might be a different story, but I don't know for sure. Good luck! I know Texans are known for "gittin' 'er done!"
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder

Last edited by PatC; 12-21-2012 at 12:49 AM.
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
big worm

btw its Big Worm, not Big'un...
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Old 12-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
big worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatC View Post
The engine cases may be the same, but I'm not sure the size of the jugs on the newer motor will fit in the old 1500A frame or if the final drives will sync up. Also I don't know how different the location of the intake and fuel pump, filters, etc under the tank on the 1500C is different from the A. You will have to do some careful measuring. Of course, you can always alter the frame if you are a good fabricator or know one. The final drive might be a different story, but I don't know for sure. Good luck! I know Texans are known for "gittin' 'er done!"
I agree PatC not to mention the possible differences in wiring and electrical components, but no one is saying it cant be done... just that it may be a little more difficult than a simple drop in...
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
Luk N

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
btw its Big Worm, not Big'un...
Well friend, since I wont call another human being worm, I reckon it's best We handle this thusly: Any conversations We have in the future We refrain from using each others `nom `de plumes, at least I'll Have to 'K
Old 12-21-2012, 04:11 AM   #10
Luk N

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatC View Post
Thanks pat, the mechanics at 2 diff kaw shops, 1 dealership, 1 private, here in the DFW metro seem to thank that I have a fair swap here outsida minute diff,s e.g.. possible exhaust configure on 1 jug(rear), a few wiring clips/ connections, and possible motor mount config,s, anythang needin fabricatin thats Me,, they're sayin there's No real Differences w/build spec,s of the 2 yrs engines, I'll really Know more Monday when the shipper drops off the 1500C. For now We're just surmisin on possibles aint We,,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement