Evap system ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
fbnewell

Default Evap system ?

Hello. Just picked up a '07 EN500 yesterday w/ 1,235 miles. Gonna order a service manual in the next few days, but got a couple questions in the meantime. I have no owner's manual, either, so please bear with me.

Do all these bikes have an evap canister down low in front of the rear wheel, or am I one of the 'lucky ones' who got a California Emissions model? Saw on an online parts catalog that all those parts have (CA) listed on them. Cali emissions?

I assume there is no 'off' position on the fuel petcock? Looks like long part of lever down is 'on', lever up is 'reserve', and lever rearward or horizontal is 'prime' (I assume for use if you run out of gas). When pulling tank, or parking the bike, what position should I have the petcock?

Is it normal for these bikes to 'surge' a little when accellerating? Drove a '06 a week ago, and now that I have this one running reasonably well (been sitting awhile) it seems to hesitate, also. Kinda reminds me of turbo lag on my Buick Grand National. Seems that after every gear change, is about a 3/4 second delay before it pulls really well. Normal?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. Look forward to interacting with y'all in the near future.
Harley Dyna mufflers [64941-07]
Biker's Friend medium round bag
sissy bar / luggage rack [brand unknown]
'97 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit (his)
Biker's Friend large round bag
shop-made luggage rack w/ 1.7-gal aux. fuel tank
Kuryakyn grips
VistaCruise
Memphis Shades ruby Hellcat windshield
fbnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Phil in Maine

Garage

Having the canister def means california emmisions bike. As far as the petcock, it should be left in the ON position unless you are running out of gas and then to RES. PRIme is only to fill the carb bowls if they are empty. You dont want to leave it in the PRI position though because it means that the gas is flowing into the carbs with the bike running or not with only the needle valve stopping the flow from within the carb. The petcock is vacuum operated so when it is in the on position fuel will flow while the bike is running, and if funtioning properly well, will not flow with the bike off.

Hesitation isnt normal, and can be caused by a lot of things. Most likely though is that the carbs are dirty. A good thorough cleaning and vacuum sync is a great starting point and will often fix a lot of issues. Obviously also check plugs, air filter, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
MnV500

fbnewell,

You can view the owners manual on line at this web address:

http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/sho...8&lang_code=EN

Not sure on the canister as I have a non California model.

The gas petcock is vaccuum operated, so either on or reserve is ok, but NOT prime! I usually try to keep gas to a minimum if I going to remove the tank just to keep the weight down.

I have no surge issues with my 500. So as far as I can say, not normal.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Red Rider
Lifetime Premium

This link may be of help also. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19144
Old 12-17-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

A lot of folks swear by Seafoam gas treatment for cleaning the fuel system and carbs. Have never had a problem with mine so I can't give a testimonial. They do have me convinced to use it, at least occasionally, as a preventative measure. As low as the miles are, wouldn't be surprised if there's sludge or varnish in the carbs.

The hesitation you describe sounds like how mine runs while the engine is warming up, so maybe there is a fuel ratio problem. It's easy enough to clean and oil the foam air filter, so you may want to check that, too.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
fbnewell

Have used SeaFoam on the Shadow Spirit, and put some in the Vulcan as soon as I got the tank off and drained. So far, only shot carb cleaner through inlet side of carbs while still on the bike. Runs better, but not right. Probably a combo of the seafoam doing its thing for 30 miles so far, and the cleaning slightly of the carbs. Ordered a Haynes manual today, will be here tomorrow, and will pull carbs off and clean 'em right w/ a bath in Berryman's ChemDip (used it on my 2 CRF100F's and XR80R). Also, gonna see if I can't tackle replacing the front fork seals myself w/ help from the book.

BTW - those interested in purchasing a Haynes manual - Haynes sells them on their website for $45.45 - ordered on from AutoZone, paid $24.95, and be here the next day.

Any appreciable difference in performance / mileage between a California Emissions and 49-state set-up? Any way it can be converted back to 49-state? Not sure why CA emissions - bike was bought in Colorado by original owner.
Harley Dyna mufflers [64941-07]
Biker's Friend medium round bag
sissy bar / luggage rack [brand unknown]
'97 Honda Shadow 1100 Spirit (his)
Biker's Friend large round bag
shop-made luggage rack w/ 1.7-gal aux. fuel tank
Kuryakyn grips
VistaCruise
Memphis Shades ruby Hellcat windshield
fbnewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbnewell View Post
Have used SeaFoam on the Shadow Spirit, and put some in the Vulcan as soon as I got the tank off and drained. So far, only shot carb cleaner through inlet side of carbs while still on the bike. Runs better, but not right. Probably a combo of the seafoam doing its thing for 30 miles so far, and the cleaning slightly of the carbs. Ordered a Haynes manual today, will be here tomorrow, and will pull carbs off and clean 'em right w/ a bath in Berryman's ChemDip (used it on my 2 CRF100F's and XR80R). Also, gonna see if I can't tackle replacing the front fork seals myself w/ help from the book.

BTW - those interested in purchasing a Haynes manual - Haynes sells them on their website for $45.45 - ordered on from AutoZone, paid $24.95, and be here the next day.

Any appreciable difference in performance / mileage between a California Emissions and 49-state set-up? Any way it can be converted back to 49-state? Not sure why CA emissions - bike was bought in Colorado by original owner.
Sounds like you have it covered.
I'm fairly new to bikes, but why would the fork seals be bad on an 07 with only 1200 miles? It's practically brand new!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
sfair
Top Contributor

Quote:
shot carb cleaner through inlet side of carbs while still on the bike.
One has to be careful when doing that because if some of that cleaner should work its way to somewhere it does not belong; slide diaphragm for example, you will not be a happy rider.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:

Take your time, be methodical. Oh and don't dip any plastic or rubber parts. Also, make sure you do a good bench sync before you put them back on and a vacuum sync once they are on.

Have fun!
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Take your time, be methodical. Oh and don't dip any plastic or rubber parts. Also, make sure you do a good bench sync before you put them back on and a vacuum sync once they are on.

Have fun!
I know about vacuum sync, but how do you do a bench sync?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement